Continual Guidance

20 Feb

The Lord shall guide thee continually. (Isaiah 58:11)

What aileth thee? Hast thou lost thy way? Art thou entangled in a dark wood and canst thou not find thy paths? Stand still, and see the salvation of God. He knows the way, and He will direct thee in it if thou cry unto Him.

Every day brings its own perplexity. How sweet to feel that the guidance of the Lord is continual! If we choose our own way or consult with flesh and blood we cast ok the Lord’s guidance; but if we abstain from self-will, then He will direct every step of our road, every hour of the day, and every day of the year, and every year of our life. If we will but be guided, we shall be guided. If we will commit our way unto the Lord, He will direct our course so that we shall not lose ourselves.

But note to whom this promise is made. Read the previous verse: “If thou draw out thy soul to the hungry.” We must feel for others and give them, not a few dry crusts, but such things as we ourselves would wish to receive. If we show a tender care for our fellow-creatures in the hour of their need, then will the Lord attend to our necessities and make Himself our continual Guide. Jesus is the Leader, not of misers, nor of those who oppress the poor, but of the kind and tenderhearted. Such persons are pilgrims who shall never miss their way.

.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Continual Guidance

1. A Servant

February 20, 2014 at 7:32 pm

As i read I was reminded of Psalms 1 where we are not to walk not in the council of the ungodly. Truly we must consult with / commune with our God.

February 20, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I believe that we do. In fact I have conversations with Him throughout the day and night like I do with my wife. He is my Friend that is always present. What a privilege we have Brother. Btw, what is your first name?

• A Servant

February 20, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Dennis

February 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Dennis. It seems we have quite a lot in common.

• A Servant

February 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I have enjoyed getting to know you through your posts and comments. I live in Raleigh NC, you?

February 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I live on a farm about 25 miles north of Tulsa.

• A Servant

February 20, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I have enjoyed the Morning Coffee questions and discussions but I miss my bible study posts. If my mind doesn’t get changed I’ll do one more week with Morning Coffee and then I’ll start a new study on 1 Peter.

February 20, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Good choice. I love 1st Peter. I taught it in church a couple of years ago. I only have a regular study now for Sundays. The rest is just different topics. If you have time read mine tomorrow. I was invited to minister in Israel for 6 weeks this summer

• A Servant

February 20, 2014 at 8:36 pm

What an opportunity, I try not to miss any of your posts but I’ll make sure not to miss it. Have a great evening brother.

February 20, 2014 at 8:36 pm