The Proper Choice of Clothing

26 Feb
The Proper Choice of Clothing

“Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is no trouble to me and is safe for you. Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh. For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh—though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.”

I want everyone to put aside any political politics for just a moment, and don’t let it interfere with my opening illustration. I would like for you to imagine that you just received a personal telephone call from President Barack Obama inviting you to appear in his presence at the White House. Air Force One will be sent to your home town to bring you and your spouse directly to Washington, D.C.

My guess is that your wife will immediately respond by saying: “Oh, no, I don’t have a thing to wear!” If not the man, then certainly the woman in such a household will be greatly concerned about their physical appearance. They will worry about everything from their shoes, to clothing, to their hair. After all, the White House is a very special place, and you don’t want to appear before our President looking like a slob! Now of course, all this is purely hypothetical. It’s only an illustration.

But a day is coming, maybe sooner than you think, when another personal invitation will come your way. This one isn’t hypothetical. It is all very real, and it is all going to happen. It won’t come from the President of the United States, but from the King of kings, our Lord Jesus Christ. And it really isn’t an invitation that any may choose to decline. It is a demand that all must obey. And it isn’t to the White House that you will be escorted, but into the very presence of Almighty God Himself.

On that day also, what you wear will be far more important than a your clothing. It will be of eternal importance. God’s standard of dress is absolute perfection. Many on that day will ignorantly and self-righteously clothe themselves in their best, and most beautiful good works and earthly accomplishments. They will put together for themselves what they are certain is a full proof appearance. They will dress themselves up with virtue, good intentions, and religious sincerity. No doubt such a person will be impressive for other humans to see, but to God all will be little more than filthy rags.

What will you be clothed in, spiritually speaking, when that day comes? When God dispatches, not Air Force One, but the heavenly host of angels to bring you into His presence, what will you be wearing? What will God see?

The primary focus of Philippians 3:1-11 is that there is only one garment that will matter in the presence of a holy God. It is the garment of the righteousness of Jesus Christ Himself received by you, and me, through faith alone. I aim to be found in Christ, says Paul in v. 9, “not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith.”

Are you dressed in His righteousness alone? If not, by faith trust in Jesus Christ righteousness alone, and you will be ready for that royal invitation.

Posted by on February 26, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

7 responses to “The Proper Choice of Clothing

1. Petra

February 26, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Had to tweet this one. What a great reminder!

2. heavenlyraindrops

February 26, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Nice. I did a similar post last year-
    What Do I Wear?
    Blessings

February 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Thank you. We’re both blessed that we know the Truth. Have a nice evening.

3. Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus

February 26, 2014 at 11:47 pm

The Scriptures are so wonderful, I’m sure you agree Levi, yes it is True as you said, we do need to have the right clothing and we will show we have it as we can see in all the Scriptures below,

Salvation is a free gift but it must be received by True heart Repentance, which shows we believe in Jesus Christ, to say we believe in Him but then continue to sin, shows we are still in darkness and that we don’t know Him. We must put our evil or carnal flesh to death by The Holy Spirit and walk as Jesus does, this is True Repentance.

1John 3:4-10 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. But you know that He appeared so that He might take away our sins. And in Him is no sin. No one who lives in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen Him or known Him. Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as He is righteous.

1 John 3:9 No one who is Born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been Born of God.

1 John 5:18-20 We know that no one who is Born of God sins; but He who was Born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

1 John 4:17-19 Herein is our Love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in Love; but perfect Love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in Love. We Love Him, because He first Loved us.

John 8:34-36 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Romans 8: 8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8 :12-15 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. or if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons/daughters of God.

Galatians 24 -26 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. if we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Christian Love from us both – Anne

February 27, 2014 at 12:29 am

A very V-E-R-Y good analogy!

February 27, 2014 at 9:37 am

Thank you SLIMJIM. I have noticed you on some of the reformed blogs. I’m reformed myself.