No Phone Calls Needed

27 Feb
No Phone Calls Needed

Last week my mother in law, and her brother Leroy, who is 94 came to have lunch with us. Leroy recently lost his wife of over 70 years just before Christmas. I’ve always gotten along well with Leroy. He has had a very difficult time since the loss of his wife. It was different seeing him without Irene. That was the first time in over 42 years that I had seen one without the other.

Since Irene’s passing Leroy hasn’t done so well physically. He has had to take up residence with his daughter. Up until this time they had been in their own home and pretty much took care of themselves. Before we had lunch I was asked if I would give Leroy a shower. We have a walk in shower, and it would be easier for him to get in and out with my assistance.

I agreed, and escorted him to that part of the house. I must say that it was a first for me. I had never assisted another man with a shower before. And even though I am 61 I can still move pretty quick. I can take a leisurely shower, and be finished in 10 minutes or so. I had no idea that it would take 45 minutes, or longer, to get Leroy clean and dressed again.

I was automatically thankful to The Lord that I am still physically healthy. But I also had the thought that if I live long enough it is very possible that I may be in the same condition, or possibly worse, and need constant care. I really am one of those guys that has a problem wanting to impose myself upon others. When the kids were at home I had no problem asking for help if I needed a hand. But since they are grown, and have their own families, I really hate to impose upon them.

To be fair to my children, most would be there if they knew that I needed help. I have friends that would do the same. There have been times that I have been involved in a project bigger than me and someone will just “happen” to show up. It so happens that my wife had made a phone call to get some help for me. I am always thankful for the it, and the task is usually accomplished so much easier and quicker.

Is it right of me not to want to ask for help? I realize that I am not superman, nor do I have such an ego that I believe that I can do everything myself. I have no problem volunteering if someone is in need of assistance. The issue really is not wanting to be a burden to others.

I am so thankful that I don’t have the same issue with The Lord. My heart cries out to Him day and night for help, fellowship, and comfort. He has invited us all to come to Him, and He will give us rest (Matthew 11:28). Peter tells us to “cast all of our care upon Him for He cares for us” (1Peter 5:7). David reminds us that God is our refuge and strength at all times (Psalm 46:1). The invitation from Him is always open. What a blessing it is for us to be able to confide in Him and He’s always there. No phone calls are needed.

May we never forget that He is our ever present help. And Lord help me to overcome my issue of asking for human assistance. The day is possibly coming when I will require it. Thank you Leroy for bringing this to my attention.

Posted by on February 27, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

13 responses to “No Phone Calls Needed

1. james1948

February 27, 2014 at 9:20 am

You have expressed much of my sentiment when it comes to helping others and doing things myself. I had my father in my home the last 18 months of his life. He was a private, self sufficient man and being sensitive to him in these areas is very important. Thank you.

February 27, 2014 at 9:34 am

The incident rung a bell with me so I thought I would share it. Have a great day Brother!

2. Oma's Heart

February 27, 2014 at 11:57 am

It’s so true that we all have a hard time accepting help, but we love to give it. It’s too bad really, that as a society we seem to think accepting help means we are weak. My friend came over last night with an ice pack and a card, because she’s been wanting so bad to do something for me while I’ve been down with this neck, and I won’t let her, saying that we really don’t need it. And while we don’t, because our kiddos are older and can manage things with little supervision, it really hit me because she looked so sad that she hadn’t been given the chance to (what she calls) “repay” me for helping her ease into motherhood. I was sad when she left. That I had done that to her. She deeply wanted to serve me. It would have made her feel so good. Had I been closer to the Spirit, and not so stinkin stubborn, I would have heard the Spirit whisper to me to let her serve me. Unfortunately, I didn’t. It’s humbling to get that message. I shouldn’t be so prideful. It’s a shameful lesson to learn, but hopefully I’ll remember this, and not be so stubborn in the future. Others serving us isn’t always about us. Many times it’s about them learning how good it feels to be like the Savior and serve those around them. Love this post Levi. Cheers!

February 27, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Im glad that you enjoyed it Oma. I really don’t turn down help so much as I just don’t ask for it. It is probably about the same thought though. I agree that we are not allowing others to serve. We always need to be sensitive to the Spirit, but we just aren’t all of the time. Thank you for sharing. I hope that your neck gets better. I have had probably about the same situation for the past 5 years now. I guess it is a part of “maturing”.

• Oma's Heart

March 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

Ah, good point… I’m bad at asking AND accepting. I’ll have to work on it. Five years??? Nooooo. I hope this doesn’t go on that long! Goodness, I’m so sorry you’ve been battling it for that long. This maturing can be very…challenging at times. Have a great weekend Levi. Cheers!

March 1, 2014 at 11:33 am

Hey Oma, maturing is challenging. Ive heard it said many times that you cant be a sissy and get old. Lol If I would not have driven so many miles of fence post I may not have so much neck and some back problems. The main problem I have is sleeping. I just cant get comfortable. Have a great weekend yourself.

February 27, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I find myself being the same way–not wanting to ask for help usually. Always feel like I am imposing upon people who have busy lives of their own. thanks for sharing this post!

February 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Elaine, this seems to be a common feeling among folks. I guess we are not alone in this. Thank you for sharing.

4. Steven Paul, a Christ follower...

February 27, 2014 at 4:40 pm

This is a great story, and a great Christian example! I cared for a father-in-law along with my wife for about 6 years in our home. After he passed, we have taken over care of my mother who has Alzheimer’s.

It requires much patience and devotion to care for such people. You are to be commended for your compassion, and God is to be praised for your endeavors!

Steven

February 27, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Hey Steven, you and your wife have spent much time caring for the sick. You guys are the example. I helped with my dad in his last days with cancer but nothing like that. Thank you for sharing. Your blog is good. Praise the Lord!

• Steven Paul, a Christ follower...

February 28, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Thank you, Levi. God has been pleased to help my wife and I to be there for our elderly parents. It isn’t easy, no matter what!

But in the end, it is the act of love…from God to us, and from us to our parents that keep things rolling.

Thank you for the kind reply. Please keep up your good work Levi!

Steven

February 28, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Its my pleasure!

• Steven Paul, a Christ follower...

February 28, 2014 at 6:34 pm