To Be “With Christ”

07 Mar

On Monday, I attended the funeral of one of my wife’s lifelong friends. Karla’s death was a surprise as she was only 59. Karla was a pastor’s wife and had served The Lord for many years. A few days ago she was out shopping, today she is in Heaven. If we could speak with her right now I am sure that she would tell us that to “die is gain”.

I can understand Paul saying that for him, and for us, “to live is Christ” (Phil. 1:21a). But how is it that death can be seen as anything but a horrible end to a wonderful life? How can death be anything other than the end of our hopes and dreams and the finish of one’s life work? How can it possibly be viewed as “gain” (Phil. 1:21b) over life?

I think that we can be certain of this: Paul is not saying that he is unhappy with life, or that he desires to be finished with the troubles of his earthly ministry . Paul is not suggesting that he is thinking of suicide. As he will later tell us, if I had a choice in the matter I’d probably prefer to be executed and immediately enter into the presence of Jesus. But the fact is I don’t have a choice. God alone is the one who determines and decides whether we live or die. It is never a decision that we should make. But if I had my own choice I’d choose to be with Jesus!

Paul can say “to die is gain” because in death he will behold more of Christ than he could ever experience in life.

Right now, He is only present in spirit; but in death in person. In dying he trades earth for heaven. In dying he goes from unending labor to rest. In dying he changes from imperfection to perfection. In dying he no longer lives by faith alone but also by sight. In dying he moves from tears, sorrow, grief, pain, and persecution to the unending joy of unbroken, unending intimacy and communion with Jesus.

The reason the Christian can with assurance say that death is “gain” boils down to a simple, two-word phrase in Philippians 1:23: “with Christ”! For all the glory and opportunities and blessings that life may bring, death brings one that is better than all of them : we get to be “with Christ”!

Paul saw all of life as an opportunity to magnify Jesus, to show Him as great and good and worthy of His trust. His life was energized by His beauty and empowered by His grace. Even the smallest of his daily tasks, the most routine of his responsibilities were undertaken for the glory of his Savior. Everything in his life served to the honor and glory of Christ.

But having said all that, “to die is gain”! I know some of you are wondering how a sane person can possibly say that death is “gain” over life. For a Christian, it’s easy. Death is gain over life very simply because death provides the Christian with more of Christ than life ever could!

Posted by on March 7, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “To Be “With Christ”

1. Sharon

March 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

Amen! I get some strange looks sometimes because I’m looking forward to the day when my faith shall be sight. Life is great walking with Jesus but to be in His presence and see His full glory will be magnificent. I am one who enjoys the funeral of a believer because I know that they are in His presence. My Father is very ill right now with liver cancer and may be home very soon with Jesus but the peace in knowing He will see Jesus helps a lot. The greatest gift we can give our loved ones is the peace in knowing where we’re headed as well as a testimony of belief that He is real and alive!!!! Thank you for sharing. Continually seeking Him, Sharon

March 7, 2014 at 9:30 am

Sharon you have about stated all of my sentiments. I’ve been to 2 funerals this week. One a believer and one not. Much difference. When we see Him we shall be like Him the text says. Thank you!

2. theywhoseek

March 7, 2014 at 11:11 am

I am a believer that my times are in His hands and that the day He calls me home no matter the vehicle it will be a joyous ride all the way to heaven 🙂 ~ Blessings ~

March 7, 2014 at 11:33 am

And it will be for all believers of Christ. We have a wonderful future ahead of us. Thanks for sharing.

3. Steven Paul, a Christ follower...

March 7, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Very well presented, Levi! The “gain” is to be with Christ forever in a state of pure joy with no more cares nor worries. And…one of the things I like most…there will be no more sin around us, nor temptations to try and derail us!

Love, Light, joy, peace, Love…who of us does not want these things!

Steven

March 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm

You said it well Stephen, it seems that all would want it but many dont. We wouldn’t either if the Spirit of God had not opened our spiritual eyes and given us the faith to believe. Thanks Brother!

• Steven Paul, a Christ follower...

March 7, 2014 at 2:22 pm

As always, you are welcome! I enjoy reading your stories and insights, Levi!

A good day to you, my friend…

Steven

March 7, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Beautifully said.

5. The Narrowing Path

March 12, 2014 at 6:24 am

A hearty amen to this blessed hope we who are in Christ share and can rejoice in. It certainly helps me get through the buffeting storms of this life. 🙂 Sherryn

March 12, 2014 at 6:35 am

Thank you. We certainly have reason for rejoicing Sherryn. Have a great day!