Take Him Out Of The Box!

13 Mar
Take Him Out Of The Box!

Yesterday and today are a sign that Spring is just around the corner. The temperature was in the low 80s. We had a nice rain on Saturday which made the wheat field next to my house double in height.

I took advantage of the nice weather to clean out the chicken house after the long winter. This is a job that really nobody likes to do, but I signed up for it since we keep hens. Many years ago I thought of a way to make it easier to get the task accomplished.

As a kid I absolutely detested this job. You would have to scrape the floor for hours to do a good job. Now, I scatter cotton seeds hulls about 4-5 inches thick on the floor of the chicken house. They are fluffy and absorb most of the mess. Today, I pulled the tractor with a front end loader to the door and just shoveled them into the bucket. It’s dusty, but there is no scraping involved. The old cotton seed hulls are then used as mulch around many of our trees and bushes and vegetable garden. It only took a couple of hours or so to do it.

While doing jobs like this I am always thinking, and praying. This may seem a little sacrilegious to many of you. Stuck in a really stinking building, shovel in hand, dust flying, with sweat running down my face; and there I am praying to a thrice holy God. The very Creator of the universe.

As a young Christian many years ago I thought that prayer was a very formal thing. I would find a nice quiet place and kneel down and pray using old English words. You know, the Thee’s and the Thou’s. I think that it is still good to regularly pray in secret on your knees. I’m not against any of this at all.

But these days I pray a lot a more than I use to though. But most of it is just talking to The Lord like I am talking to a person. He is a person you know. In fact, He’s The Person. I pray silently a lot, but nonetheless it is real prayer.

I have a lot to pray about. I imagine that you do to. I have a prodigal daughter that is heavy on my heart. I am praying a lot that the rest of the kids, and grand kids will follow The Lord and love Him. There are ministry needs and opportunities that requires God’s attention ( like He doesn’t already know).

Most of my prayers though are in praise to Him. He is so gracious and so worthy of our praise. After 49 years, I still can’t comprehend why He chose me to salvation, and not the guy next door. Why was I born when, and where, and to the family that I was; and not born in Africa in a tribe that has never heard the Gospel. Why me?

Yes, we all have many things, and concerns to share with our Heavenly Father. We should have much praise to heap upon our worthy Savior. He has done so much for us for which we should be thankful. Other than the 2 word verse “Jesus wept” (John 11:35), this may be the shortest verse in the English Bible. “Pray without ceasing” ( I Thess.5:17).

I can’t tell you that I am always praying, but I can tell you that I pray so much more since I took God out of the box. Try it, He will like it!

Posted by on March 13, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “Take Him Out Of The Box!

1. Faith Love n Desire

March 13, 2014 at 5:58 am

Your post refreshed my mind! It’s a great reminder for praying ! Thank you so much for this beautiful and powerful post !
    God bless!

March 13, 2014 at 6:59 am

You’re such an encourager. Go pray and have a great day!

2. Jonathan Price

March 13, 2014 at 9:06 am

When you have a loving relationship with Him…there is no box — there’s just wherever the relationship takes you. [Cleaning out the hen box like you — or in jail like Paul and Silas…] Have a great day Levi –

March 13, 2014 at 12:57 pm

You’re right Jonathan. Location doesn’t matter. Btw, I can access your blog on my phone, but on the ipad it still says that only restricted users with permission only. I have no idea the problem. Thanks! Hope you’re day is going well.

• Jonathan Price

March 13, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Had a great day…thx Levi. I enjoy your posts. Can u access my blog from a computer?

March 14, 2014 at 6:39 am

Not with the link under your name in this notification. The link that works is the ijony45 address.

3. Sharon

March 13, 2014 at 9:42 am

Prayer walking is my favorite prayer time. It’s easy to praise when out walking in God’s creation. Adam and Eve come to mind. Walking in the garden. It refreshes my soul and the exercise sure doesn’t hurt. Prayer is, like you said, talking with a good friend. My heart is more open to hear the Holy Spirit also when I’m walking in the garden. My constant companion, my best friend. Thank you, Levi, for the morning blessing — your testimony of prayer. Continually seeking Him, Sharon

March 13, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Sharon, thank you for sharing. He is a our best Friend. The relationship just needs to be cultivated. You’re a blessing!

• Sharon

March 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Thanks. The feeling is mutual. Sharon

4. theenglishrose2014

March 13, 2014 at 10:06 am

Not sacrilegious at all. I Thessalonians 5 says to “Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks for this is God’s will for you.” 🙂 I find myself praying throughout the day also, especially for my children, family, friends, our country… God created us for relationship and it’s a wondrous thing! Thanks for sharing! Blessings!

March 13, 2014 at 10:48 am

I know it isn’t now. It is wonderful! I always appreciate your comments. Have a great day! !!!

5. stacilys

March 13, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Well said. I am a huge believer in just being real, yourself with God. He wants our heart, not our formalities.
    🙂

March 13, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Absolutely what I think as well. We stand naked before Him. He knowers all. Thanks and have a great evening!