Wise Advice!

18 Mar
Wise Advice!

I was speaking with one of my sons this morning. He calls me and we talk while he is driving to work a few times a week. I have to tell you that I am very excited of how The Lord is working in His life. He has grown so much spiritually in the last few years that he is a almost a different person. He truly is being conformed into the image of Christ. He also has a wonderful Christian wife at his side to grow with him. That is always very helpful.

Most of our conversations revolve around spiritual things in his drive time. I probably talk with him more than any other male about Scripture. This morning he was excited about the new series he is starting at church. He used me as a sounding board with some of his ideas. I am always thrilled when he ask for input. Not that I know it all, but age and The Lord’s experience in my life has taught me a few things. After hearing his teaching schedule I gave him some suggestions which he had not considered. After discussing it I think that he will use some them.

After we finished the call I thought about how wise he is too ask for advice. He is his own man. He doesn’t call Dad before making most of his decisions. But in some areas he usually does at least ask what my thoughts are. He knows that he is not under any obligation to use any of my suggestions. I know that I miss my own Dad because he is not here to be a good listener of my thoughts and dreams.

The wise man Solomon wrote about wise men asking for, and receiving wise counsel.

“Where no wise guidance is, the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety” (Prov. 11:14).

“Better is a poor and wise youth than an old and foolish king who no longer knows how to receive counsel” (Ecc. 4:13).

The way many receive counsel, or advice, is after the fact. Wise men count the cost in advance. May we all be humble enough to first seek counsel from The Lord through His word, and then seek out godly counsel before making decisions that count.

Posted by on March 18, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , ,

29 responses to “Wise Advice!

1. Mark Myers

March 18, 2014 at 6:02 am

He is wise. We all need mentors and to be mentored. I am sure that has become something dear to you.

March 18, 2014 at 9:05 am

He is a dear son. He has been spared many pitfalls because of his wisdom. I wished that they were all like that Mark.

2. katebortell

March 18, 2014 at 6:25 am

Amen to this Levi. Everyone needs a mentor to learn from.
    Katie

3. Faith Love n Desire

March 18, 2014 at 8:12 am

Amen friend! That’s great! Have a beautiful day!

4. Michael

March 18, 2014 at 9:13 am

What a blessing, Levi.

March 18, 2014 at 9:31 am

You’re the blessing Michael. You need to go over to Kate’s again and defend yourself. I made a comment or 2. Lol

5. "light and salt"

March 18, 2014 at 11:39 am

Wise advice here, Levi! Those who are trained in Godly ways will stop to consider a road before we take it. And we may also seek the opinions of others whom we trust as well. Good post!

Steve Pejay

March 18, 2014 at 11:40 am

Thanks Steve! You doing okay?

• "light and salt"

March 18, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Pretty well, Levi…and thank you for asking! I assume you are referring to the care of my mother’s Alzheimer’s disorder.

It is “frustrating” at times, sad at other times. In many cases it is both at the same time! But we are managing…I’m sure by the will of God!

Take care my friend. You are a blessing to know!

Steve

March 18, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I’m glad to know you and that you are dealing with the situations as good as to be expected. You’re a great example. Thanks!

• "light and salt"

March 19, 2014 at 11:46 am

You give me too much credit, Levi! But thank you anyway…

God’s love in Christ Jesus,
            Steve

March 19, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I mean it Steve. Too many just place their parents in nursing homes and visit occasionally. God bless you brother!

March 18, 2014 at 5:48 pm

As a young Pastor, I am hoping to have older men around me more; don’t want to ruin any stewardship the Lord gives me in ministry because of my own sin or blind spot. Praise God that your son is growing much spiritually!

March 18, 2014 at 6:16 pm

He really is. The Lord is using him. He’s full of vim and vigor. It’s exciting to watch. I pray that the right older men will be there for you in your ministry. If not, maybe some of your old professors or pastors perhaps until God puts some locally.

7. vwoods1212

March 18, 2014 at 9:39 pm

thanks for sharing your wonderful relationship with your son. May God continue to unite you in fellowship. VW

8. A Servant

March 19, 2014 at 8:04 am

I had that opportunity with my son recently. He was thinking about a big step and called to ask my advice. I was honored and, truth be told, surprised at the same time. Even more amazing, he took my advice.

March 19, 2014 at 9:02 am

Good morning Dennis. It is a treat i agree. I have 2 kids that always at least ask my opinion about a lot of things. 3 others seem to ask after the fact so then it’s bail out time. I think I’m too easy.

• The Narrowing Path

March 27, 2014 at 7:48 am

This was very generous of you to share, thanks Levi. I pray that when my son is all grown up (he is 10) I will be writing something similar! If it is any encouragement, I was the ‘ask after the fact sometime during bail out time’ kid and young adult. Now I am nearly 40, the Lord has matured my parents beautifully and taught me to seek their advice first. It has resulted in a lot less bail outs and two wonderful mentors to me as I raise my two (my daughter is 6). God is so good!

March 27, 2014 at 7:52 am

That’s good news. Time changes a lot of things doesn’t it.

9. google plus app download

May 17, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you
    using for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress because
    I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives
    for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

10. goji slim

May 31, 2014 at 11:30 am

I’m really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog.

Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to
    see a nice blog like this one today.

May 31, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Thank you. There are a lot of very nice blogs I visit. I appreciate your kind words!!

11. Meir Ezra Business Coaching

August 12, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital
    to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and
    even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.