Boys Will Be Boys!!!!!!

20 Mar
Boys Will Be Boys!!!!!!

Some of the fun of being a grandpa is teaching your grandchildren to drive. Since we live in the country age doesn’t really matter that much to me. I start them out on my lap when they are two or three and we move on from there. We start out on big lawn mowers, four wheelers, tractors, and on to cars and trucks. When they are six or seven they are pretty skilled. I know that sounds crazy but they are!!!

Last summer I was out working and a seven year old granddaughter was driving on my lap. We were on my big tractor and loader. I jumped off to get something and needed the tractor where I was to load something. I asked her to bring it to me. I was only about 100 feet away so not much could happen in that short of a distance. So she jumps onto the tractor and pushed the pedal but it wouldn’t move. I had forgotten about the safety mechanism. She didn’t weigh enough to disengage the safety. So Poppie had to go get the tractor himself.

There is an age limit though when I quit letting them drive cars and pickups until they are licensed. For boys I stop at age twelve until they have their beginners permit. There is a reason for this. This happened to me at age twelve and I won’t ever forget it.

My grandmother just lived about five miles from where I now live. She is the person who first taught me to drive. They drove big Lincoln Continentals always. The summer before I was ten she began to let me drive with her on the passenger side. She actually let me drive when we went to the store in the next small town up the road. She always drove really fast (she was spunky) and she wanted me to drive fast. I thought I was really big.

When I was twelve we were at her farm visiting. My aunt and uncle were there along with my cousins. My cousin Sherry, who is just a year younger than me, had brought a friend out. I thought that she was cute so I wanted to show off. I asked my dad if I could take the car and drive around. He said “okay but drive slow and be careful”. My brother, cousin, and her friend all piled into the car. The car was a 1960 Ford station wagon. I remember it having a wood grain on the side panels.

Dad handed me the keys and I gently pulled out and got onto the road. We drove around for awhile and I decided to go fast. We were less than a mile from the farm on the next road. I remember punching the accelerator and we were really getting with it. I had forgotten that just ahead was a railroad track. This wasn’t just any railroad crossing either. It was built up about two feet and when we flew over it in the air I heard a noise. I looked behind me and lo and behold was the gas tank. It had fallen off.

I looked at my brother and the girls and I told them that we had to go back and get it. I backed the car up, let down the tailgate of the station wagon, and my brother and I lifted it into the back of the car. At that point there was nothing to do but go back to the farm. We hobbled back to the house. Believe it or not the car was still running. It died just as we got back. There was enough fuel in the lines to make it that short of a distance. The car was making all kinds of racket.

I remember sheepishly going up to my dad and telling him what had happened. He inspected the car and not only had the gas tank fallen off but I had put a hole in the oil pan. The motor was absolutely fried. Well, you know what happened next.

I was escorted to the bedroom. I had a meeting with my dad and his leather belt. My trying to show off didn’t payoff for me. I know boys! I know them very well and I have a lot of boy stories that could be told. They seem to start at about age twelve so that is my cutoff age. Things just happen to boys.

Looking back, it is only by the grace of God that I’m alive today. The Lord God delivered me safely through these years, albeit with a few scars. By age nineteen I was grownup and quit the boys stuff. I have been a man ever since. Praise God for His mercy and grace!!!!

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways ( I Cor. 13:11).

Posted by on March 20, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , ,

32 responses to “Boys Will Be Boys!!!!!!

1. james1948

March 20, 2014 at 7:42 am

Wonderful story. You are correct. We think we are invincible and try many things.

March 20, 2014 at 7:55 am

Yes when I was young I did. It was a different day then and farm ways are different from kids that grew up in town.

2. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

March 20, 2014 at 8:13 am

Levi, Your stories just bring such joy to my heart and a smile to my face. My oldest is about to start learning to drive, I will be letting her read this, for sure. Thank you for being such a blessing.

March 20, 2014 at 8:19 am

You’re welcome. You have to remember that when my events happened it was a different day and I was a farm kid. Thanks for the kind words. Hope your day is a great one.

3. A Servant

March 20, 2014 at 9:42 am

I plead the fifth!!!

March 20, 2014 at 9:47 am

On the showing off? There are many that think boys will be boys is a myth. I know it’s real. I’m still observing it in my grandsons. In fact I think it may start earlier than 12 now. Looking back at how I grew up it could never happen today. I would have been adopted out to city people and my parents in prison. It was a different day and rural which makes a lot of difference.

4. Michael

March 20, 2014 at 10:22 am

Levi, I enjoy your stories.

March 20, 2014 at 10:30 am

Glad you do. They are 100% true even I’m starting to get the idea some don’t understand the times and setting. I appreciate you brother!!!

5. revolutionofwords

March 20, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Levi, thanks for sharing your stories. It is easy to feel unbreakable!

March 20, 2014 at 12:58 pm

When young it was for sure. And this was a way different time and my setting was a bit different than most peoples.

6. Petra

March 20, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Praise God for His mercy and grace, indeed!!!! And God in his wisdom allows us to mess up. It makes us better grandparents. I’ve really enjoyed this story. You are a wonderful grandpa because of what you have learned. Praise God!

March 20, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Hey Petra thanks. Some of the emails I’ve received today seemed to think that I had bad parents. Not so. It was a different time and a different setting from what the younger generations know, I’m older than you but you seem to understand maybe, it’s been interesting. I’ve just heard an NPR piece talking about today’s sheltered kids, I may write on it for tomorrow. Thanks for your comments!!

• Petra

March 20, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Bad parents? Sheltered kids? Don’t even get me started. LOL! I’ll be back. 🙂

7. "light and salt"

March 20, 2014 at 6:03 pm

When I was 17, I broke my neck in a car accident. I recovered from it, but wondered why such a thing would happened to me…

The next year, I was drafted by the Army. However, because of that accident, I did not have to serve. I was spared the anxiety and dangers of war by the love of God!

There’s always a reason things happen to us. And it almost always has a blessing in it for those who love God!

Good post, Levi!

Steve

March 20, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Steve. I had a wreck when I was 17 myself. I totaled out my 1957 Chev Nomad. I didn’t break my neck but I have neck damage today because of it. God is gracious and merciful. Thanks!

• "light and salt"

March 21, 2014 at 11:07 am

Glad to hear you aere okay…sorry you lost your car…a ’57 Chevy no less! Back then, however, it was just a ’57 Chevy!

God has a purpose for everything. We can’t see what they are many times. Occasionally we realize what they were, or probably were, at a later time in our lives.

We trust in His promises that all things work for good for those who love the Lord. Thanks for sharing, Levi…

Steve

March 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

You’re right. The 57 was the car to have then as well as now. The Lord teaches us along the way. I’m thankful for His mercy and grace.

• "light and salt"

March 21, 2014 at 1:39 pm

The car was fun and valuable, no doubt. But the Lord’s love and mercies are priceless!

We certainly do learn along the way, if we are paying attention!

Thanks, Levi…

Steve

March 21, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thank you! !!!!

• "light and salt"

March 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm

We’ll be talking again soon, I’m sure Levi…

Steve

8. Oma's Heart

March 20, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I love this story! I grew up in the South, and we also started driving at twelve, around our big yard. By 14, we were driving the back roads of the paper route. Ahhhh, the memories. I ran over my sister’s foot once, and over a couple puppies (who lived)…it’s not just boys :). Great story! Thanks for sharing!

March 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’m glad you responded like this. Hardly anybody can figure out me driving at 12. At 14 I had my own truck. But this was in the south as well. Plus my age. Thanks and I’m glad you liked it. Thank Oma!!!

9. vwoods1212

March 20, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Glad that you have come full circle and is able to share with us the grace of God through the ages. Not saying you are old :). But thank God for what He has blessed you with. VW

March 20, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I am getting old for sure. He has blessed me with His grace as He has you. Thank you!!!!

10. Faith Love n Desire

March 20, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Loved your stories always ….it brings a smile on my face….great! You’re a blessing to others and for me!

March 21, 2014 at 6:32 am

I’m so glad and thankful for you too Neeky! Hope your Friday is great.

11. parajumpers-kodiak-women.sirinematta.com

March 31, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Saved ɑs a favоrite, I really like your website!

April 16, 2014 at 9:48 am

Thank you very much. Sorry that I am just getting back to you. Your comment was in the spam folder.