A Walk In the Pasture

27 Mar
A Walk In the Pasture

It is one of my pleasures to be able to just have a leisurely walk out in our pastures. Especially on a nice day with all of the solitude that country life offers. It is very soothing, and thought provoking, to see and hear the handiwork of our majestic God. I was reading Jonathan Edwards this evening. His works are massive, and the print is super small, but the effort is well worth the cost. Edwards could get lost in his rapturous thoughts of The Lord God. Below is an experience that he had while walking alone in his father’s pasture.

β€œAnd as I was walking there, and looking up on the sky and clouds, there came into my mind so sweet a sense of the glorious majesty and grace of God, that I know not how to express. I seemed to see them both in a sweet conjunction; majesty and meekness joined together; it was a sweet, and gentle, and holy majesty; and also a majestic meekness;Β an awful sweetness; a high, and great, and holy gentleness.

After this my sense of divine things gradually increased, and became more and more lively, and had more of that inward sweetness. The appearance of every thing was altered; there seemed to be, as it were a calm sweet cast, or appearance of divine glory, in almost every thing. God’s excellency, his wisdom, his purity and love, seemed to appear in every thing; in the sun, moon, and stars; in the clouds, and blue sky; in the grass, flowers, trees; in the water, and all nature; which used greatly to fix my mind.

I often used to sit and view the moon for continuance; and in the day, spent much time in viewing the clouds and sky, to behold the sweet glory of God in these things; in the mean time, singing forth, with a low voice my contemplations of the Creator and Redeemer. And scarce any thing, among all the works of nature, was so sweet to me as thunder and lightning; formerly, nothing had been so terrible to me. Before, I used to be uncommonly terrified with thunder, and to be struck with terror when I saw a thunderstorm rising; but now, on the contrary, it rejoiced me. I felt God, so to speak, at the first appearance of a thunder storm; and used to take the opportunity, at such times, to fix myself in order to view the clouds, and see the lightnings play, and hear the majestic and awful voice of God’s thunder, which oftentimes was exceedingly entertaining, leading me to sweet contemplations of my great and glorious God. While thus engaged, it always seemed natural to me to sing, or chant for my mediations; or, to speak my thoughts in soliloquies with a singing voice.”

If you have not had the experience lately of being outside alone with God I hope that you will make time to do so.

Posted by on March 27, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , ,

29 responses to “A Walk In the Pasture

1. Mark Myers

March 27, 2014 at 5:25 am

A good word. I need some time by the creek as I call it. We have a nice rambling creek in our yard that I like to sit by.

March 27, 2014 at 6:22 am

Thank you Mark. I hope you can go and spend a little time there. I noticed bluebirds building their nest yesterday. Have a good one!!!

2. Art Mowle

March 27, 2014 at 7:49 am

I so love this. I do that a lot today, I walk everyday and watch God at work and all other sounds seem to vanish. πŸ™‚ Blessed day.

March 27, 2014 at 7:51 am

It’s enjoyable isn’t it. You have a great day too.

3. A Servant

March 27, 2014 at 10:39 am

Very familiar with this type of visit with God. The works of His hands do seem to heighten the bond.

4. vwoods1212

March 27, 2014 at 7:24 pm

It gets to the point at times you feel like crying, singing, shouting, uncomfortable in your skin: Spending time with God can bring peace, joy, happiness. But gosh at times you also feel as if you don’t know what to do with yourself…VW

March 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I understand. But He knows what to do with us. That’s the joyous thing I think!!!

5. biochicklet

March 27, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I love watching flocks of geese like those in your photograph. Their guidance systems are so mysterious and perfect.

March 27, 2014 at 8:14 pm

They are. These were in my pond just 100 feet or so behind my house. Today I counted 14 ducks all day long. Have a nice evening!!!$

6. Anna

March 27, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I feel closest to the Lord when I am in nature. The serenity soothes my battered soul. Thank you for sharing.

March 27, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I agree Anna. I try to do it daily unless raining and sometimes even then unless it is torrential. Thanks for stopping by!!!

• Anna

March 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm

You’re very welcome. I am going to follow you as well because I notice you post frequently. You also have a great writing style. God bless you! πŸ™‚

March 27, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Thank you Anna. I’ve noticed yours as well and I like your blog as well. Good evening!!!

• Anna

March 27, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Good evening!

• Anna

March 27, 2014 at 9:06 pm

You’re welcome also. I am multitasking at the moment. πŸ™‚

March 27, 2014 at 9:07 pm

It seems like I’m usually multitasking. You can’t be a blogger without it. Lol

March 28, 2014 at 12:45 am

Looking forward to the onset of warmer weather at just about the time I will be recovered enough to begin taking some nice walks outdoors in the local parks and such and enjoy some special times meeting with the Lord. πŸ™‚

March 28, 2014 at 5:20 am

I’m glad that you are healing so well. It will be good to be outside and fellowship with the Savior. Have a great day Elaine!!!

8. Moore to ponder

March 28, 2014 at 2:48 am

This enjoyed reading this. I like to read the writings of theologians from centuries past.

I used to love to look at cloud formations with my daughter, and think about the Lord. I mentioned in a comment I made on your post about Heaven that I don’t contemplate it enough. But when I gaze at the sky I just can’t help but think about it.

Blessings,
    Theresa.

March 28, 2014 at 5:14 am

Theresa, I think that it is almost impossible for me to gaze into the clouds without thinking of Heaven too. Paul speaks of this in Romans that man is without excuse because of this. The old theologians minds maybe were more clear because of not much in technologies in their times. I have a library full of them. Thanks and blessings to you!!!!

March 29, 2014 at 2:45 am

Wow good devotional, I could relate! Lately I’ve been waking up more joyful to see God’s general revelation in nature, with the birds chirping and all. Then walking with my daughters makes my heart leap with joy at His creation!

March 29, 2014 at 7:37 am

Thanks Slimjim. I’m an outdoor guy so it really blesses me every day. Enjoy your daughters. They’re precious. I have 3.

April 16, 2014 at 9:47 am

Thanks so much for the very kind words. I am glad you have been blessed by my blog. Sorry that I am just getting back to you. Your comment was in the spam folder.

10. Aftab Ahmed

April 10, 2014 at 9:59 am

Well said sir,
    Order and harmony, beauty and equilibrium, justice and continuous mercy,and munificence; and a realization that those attributes are pointing not to the created beings themselves but to a Reality in which all of these attributes exist in perfection and absoluteness. The nature is thus, like a book of attribute, an index, which point to its author, infinitely loving one.

April 10, 2014 at 10:02 am

So well said from you. Thanks for the great word!!!!