The Armless Driver?????

02 Apr
The Armless Driver?????

The Armless Driver

Insurance was my main business for over 30 years. I have insured tens of thousands of people through my offices in that period of time. The clients have come from all walks of life. There have been some very unusual ones over those years.

I remember one in particular when a gentleman had no arms but he was able to drive with his feet. His vehicle was specially equipped, and he had been certified by the State to do so. It was very interesting to watch him as he drove out of the parking lot. Needless to say he was very limber.

A couple of Sundays ago we were on our way to church. It had rained the night before and water was built up over half of the road. Remember, in the country we don’t have drainage systems. I pulled my vehicle to the other side of the road to stay out of the water. At the same time my wife handed me my sunglasses that were sliding around. I had a case to put them in so I was driving with my legs. Within about 2 seconds there was a big bang on my door. Lo and behold, my mirror had hit a mailbox and broke all to pieces. There was no damage except to the mirror.

It seems that I’m not nearly as skilled driving with my legs as my client was. I had taken my eyes off of the road. I took it to the body shop today and had the mirror replaced. Quite a lesson for $700. The body shop happened to be a friend or it would have been over $800. What a deal!!! For a small mirror.

The main point is I took my eyes off of the road. It was my fault. No one else is to blame. In the Christian life we can take our eyes off of the road. The only way that I know of to stay on the road spiritually is to have fellowship with the Father, and to stay focused on His Word. Paul told the Corinthians “God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord” (I Cor. 1:9).  We were called as believers into personal fellowship with The Lord Jesus Christ.

Stay in His Word, hide it in your heart, and have fellowship with Him today. Let’s all keep our eyes on the road until we reach our final destination?

Posted by on April 2, 2014 in Christianity, Religion

19 responses to “The Armless Driver?????

1. Risty

April 2, 2014 at 5:27 am

so inspiring 🙂

2. Mark Myers

April 2, 2014 at 5:52 am

so true – easy to take our eyes of the road, literally and figuratively. Good word, Levi

3. Family to the 5 Power!

April 2, 2014 at 7:32 am

As we are immersed in the busy-ness of life, this is a wonderful reminder. Thank you for this – and all of your encouraging posts!

April 2, 2014 at 8:26 am

You are very welcome. I’m glad it was a blessing to you. Thank The Lord. Have a great day and thanks for the encouragement!!!

4. Family to the 5 Power!

April 2, 2014 at 8:37 am

You have a great day as well! 🙂

5. Michael

April 2, 2014 at 10:04 am

Let us not miss the implication: there is real risk in taking our eyes off Christ. Peter learned this when he sank in the storm. Good word.

April 2, 2014 at 10:08 am

Thanks Michael you are right. Focus straight ahead.

April 2, 2014 at 10:14 am

Michael I wanted you to know that I have tried to go to your blog lately and can’t get on it. It’s says I’m not authorized. I don’t know if it’s only end or yours.

• Michael

April 2, 2014 at 10:17 am

Really? I have no idea what that’s about. I’ve not privatized it. I’ll look into it or contact the support team. Thanks for the heads-up!

April 2, 2014 at 10:45 am

You bet

• Michael

April 2, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hey, Levi, I just contacted Support and talked with them. My site is not private and they’re not sure what’s going on. They would like for you to contact them to better troubleshoot the problem; it might be on your end. Not that it matters, I’ve been dealing with shawnjroberts. Cheers!

6. insideheathershead

April 2, 2014 at 10:55 am

I love this message, Levi. Too often, I think, it’s easy for us to allow the world around us to distract us from our destination. Whether it’s billboards for casinos, fast food, or alcohol, or angst-filled drivers flooding the roads with their rage, we need to keep our eyes always on Him. Thank you for this reminder. 🙂

April 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

It’s a messy sinful world indeed. It takes discipline and constant fellowship or we can get off of the path. Thanks for the good comment Heather.

April 3, 2014 at 3:28 am

What an illustration! I was at the edge of my seat with that one. Good illustration of the need to keep our eye on the “Road,” the Truth and the Life.

April 3, 2014 at 6:35 am

Thanks SLIMJIM. True story. I have lots but it’s hard for me to think of them as special until The Lord puts it together in my mind.