Look and Live

10 Apr

And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shalt come to pass, that everyone that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. (Numbers 21:8)

This is a glorious gospel type. Jesus, numbered with the transgressors, hangs before us on the cross. A look to Him will heal us of the serpent-bite of sin; will heal us at once—”When he looketh upon it, he shall live.” Let the reader who is mourning his sinfulness note the words—”Everyone that looketh upon it shall live.” Every looker will find this true. I have found it so. I looked to Jesus and lived at once, I know I did. Reader, if you look to Jesus you will live, too. True, you are swelling with the venom, and you see no hope, True, also there is no hope but this one. But this is no doubtful cure—”Everyone that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.”

The brazen serpent was not lifted up as a curiosity to be gazed upon by the healthy; but its special purpose was for those who were “bitten.” Jesus died as a real Savior for real sinners. Whether the bite has made you a drunkard, or a thief, or an unchaste or a profane person, a look at the great Savior will heal you of these diseases and make you live in holiness and communion with God. Look and live.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Look and Live

1. Little Monk

April 10, 2014 at 5:15 am

Strange, is it not? This post moved me deeply. Why? I think, because, He is simply so beautiful. “If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto Me.” How? Why? As you’ve said, it’s not what we do, or what we think, or even (here) what we believe. It is simply what we SEE! Look upon Me and live! Yes! Thank you.

April 10, 2014 at 7:06 am

Thanks so much LM. It is so simple but so powerful. For some reason this morning when I think simple I’m thinking of the manger scene. Already twice in ten minutes. That was worldly simplicity and yet so profoundly. Look and live today!!!

2. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

April 10, 2014 at 5:23 am

Amen! What a wonderful truth to hold on to! “Look to Him and live!” Praise God!! Thank you, Levi.

April 10, 2014 at 7:03 am

Skye, isn’t the Truth so simple and yet so life transforming? You’re welcome my friend!!!

April 10, 2014 at 5:28 am

I am good looker! 🙂

Levi, you do have something very profound (it got me as well in a different way). Everyone. Look. Healed. Inclusive. Universal. Eternal. Simple. Beautiful!

April 10, 2014 at 7:01 am

Paul, I’ll bet you are quite a good looker!! Some have it and some don’t. Lol. The whole plan of God to save sinners is very profound and yet so simple. Look and live my brother!!!!

4. insideheathershead

April 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

I love this, Levi. I noticed, especially, the word “fiery”. Imagine if we didn’t look upon Him and receive His healing powers of forgiveness and grace. We would be enchanted by the serpent of sin, slowly drained of our life, and then thrown into sin’s “fiery” world. Oh how blessed we are that we looked upon Him. He is the antidote to death.
    Thank you, Levi, for these wise words.

April 10, 2014 at 10:58 am

So true Heather. Scripture really has one main theme Look and Live. We are so beyond privileged. We are chosen. That makes it even more special. Thanks my girl.

5. Jonathan Price

April 10, 2014 at 2:38 pm

What a wonderful thing it is to look upon Jesus! When we do our “circumstances” become less important and He becomes more important. In fact, that is exactly what He wants to happen.

I am reminded of the Scripture that says [and I am paraphrasing] “Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord…” [2 Peter 2:2]

So, by looking upon Jesus we gain a greater knowledge of Him and therefore by that knowledge our grace and peace become multiplied! This is true for the sinner as well…it was for me when I was a sinner — it changed me from the inside out and now I am as clean and righteous as Jesus is!!! My sinful nature did not matter to me once I looked up at Jesus and saw He wanted to forgive me of it and offer me a new life full of grace and peace.

Thank you Jesus for these eyes that can look upon you and see your beauty and for the relationship you were willing to die for!!!