My Choice Is His Choice!!!!!!

14 Apr

He shall choose our inheritance for us. (Psalm 47:4)

Our enemies would allot us a very dreary portion, but we are not left in their hands. The Lord will cause us to stand in our lot, and our place is appointed by His infinite wisdom. A wiser mind than our own arranges our destiny, The ordaining of all things is with God, and we are glad to have it so; we choose that God should choose for us. If we might have our own way we would wish to let all things go in God’s way.

Being conscious of our own folly, we would not desire to rule our own destinies. We feel safer and more at ease when the Lord steers our vessel than we could possibly be if we could direct it according to our own judgment. Joyfully we leave the painful present and the unknown future with our Father, our Savior, our Comforter.

O my soul, this day lay down thy wishes at Jesus’ feet! If thou hast of late been somewhat wayward and willful, eager to be and to do after thine own mind, now dismiss thy foolish self, and place the reins in the Lord’s hands. Say, “He shall choose.” If others dispute the sovereignty of the Lord and glory in the free will of man, do thou answer them, “He shall choose for me.” It is my freest choice to let Him choose. As a free agent, I elect that He should have absolute sway.

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

12 responses to “My Choice Is His Choice!!!!!!

1. Willy Nilly

April 14, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Like poetry. Thanks!

April 14, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Thanks Willy. I post some every week. Hope you enjoy some of them. Thank you.

April 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Now that is the best answer to this “free will” wrangle. Not sure I agree entirely. But I get it. I was going to say – I am going to have to check out Spurgeon more diligently. Except you do it so well Levi. I am going to stick with you. Levi shall choose for me. Way to go!! 🙂

April 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hey Paul, this is the controversy that doesn’t stop. I was always a “free wheeler” when young. At about 30 years old from Scripture I couldn’t find the justification for holding the belief. I started to see from the first chapters of Genesis through Revelation that God is indeed in control. It took me 3 years too finally accept it. It is completely against our sinful nature not to be in control. Enough said, I agree with Spurgeon completely. I post him everyday. Glad you’re reading him.

3. chaya1957

April 14, 2014 at 10:44 pm

For chain coffee shops, I would pick Panera as more easy-going and more of a place to strike up a conversation; plus they offer edible food. You’ll find lots of seniors and SAMH’s with kids in tow, as well as those who use Panera as an office. Maybe it is the free refills?

If you are traveling on the West Coast and looking for conversation, I would pick a busy sushi bar or wine store for a tasting. No, you wouldn’t blog in these places, but might find some interesting material. 🙂

April 15, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks for the tips. My wife meets at Panera every Wed. morning with her lady friends. At my regular coffee shop we had our own round table built that seats twelve. We have quite a group. Hope your day is a good one:)

• chaya1957

April 15, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Another thought. You may not be familiar with the Hebrew behind the translation, “inheritance.” A “nachalah,” is not exactly an inheritance, and it is difficult to get the same shade of meaning when you translate from one language, worldview and time to another.

If I inherit a house from my dad, I can live in the house, sell the house, rent the house, allow the house to fall into disrepair or fail to pay taxes and have the government seize it. A nachalah would be more like the home a friend and her siblings inherited from their dad, with the stipulation that they house never be sold so that no family member would ever become homeless and it could also be used as a vacation home – by the beach. Money was left in an account dedicated to the upkeep and taxes for the home.

The word picture for nachalah might be, “what comes after or is revealed when there is a fence of protection placed around life/progeny with authority and instruction. We are not permitted to sell or give away our heavenly nachalah and the divine hand will come against any who attempt to steal it.

April 15, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Thank you very much for the word study. I do not know Hebrew. I have studied the language only for a couple of semesters. Thank you very much!!!’

4. jodysscribbles

April 15, 2014 at 9:05 am

Brilliantly written. Thank you for following my blog to lead me to yours

April 15, 2014 at 9:44 am

The pleasure is mine. Hopefully we can bless each other. I hope your day is pleasurable 🙂