Desires of the Righteous Granted

15 Apr

The desires of the righteous shall be granted. (Proverbs 10:24)

Because it is a righteous desire it is safe for God to grant it. It would be neither good for the man himself, nor for society at large, that such a promise should be made to the unrighteous. Let us keep the Lord’s commands, and He will rightfully have respect to our desires.

When righteous men are left to desire unrighteous desires, they will not be granted to them. But then these are not their real desires; they are their wanderings or blunders, and it is well that they should be refused. Their gracious desires shall come before the Lord, and He will not say them nay.

Does the Lord deny us our requests for a time? Let the promise for today encourage us to ask again. Has He denied us altogether? We will thank Him still, for it always was our desire that He should deny us if He judged a denial to be best.

As to some things, we ask very boldly. Our chief desires are for holiness, usefulness, likeness to Christ, preparedness for heaven. These are the desires of grace rather than of nature—the desires of the righteous man rather than of the mere man. God will not stint us in these things but will do for us exceeding abundantly. “Delight thy self also in the Lord, and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” This day, my soul, ask largely!

Posted by on April 15, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 responses to “Desires of the Righteous Granted

April 15, 2014 at 5:08 am

And often he answers, just not with the same tick box we use!

April 15, 2014 at 10:00 am

Good afternoon to you Paul, you are so right. His tick box is way different than ours. We should be glad for it. Hope the rest of your day is pleasurable 🙂

2. Jnana Hodson

April 15, 2014 at 5:51 am

I feel we can turn this a bit, too, to see that when we are living rightly, that is, the way God wants us to live and be, our desires are also his. Perhaps even already granted.

April 15, 2014 at 7:02 am

Perhaps so. He certainly blesses faithfulness. I hope you have a pleasant day 🙂

3. christineplouvier

April 15, 2014 at 9:56 am

It helps me to remember that Heavenly Father always answers every prayer – although He often gives an answer that’s different to what we expect. Sometimes it’s ‘yes’ – sometimes it’s ‘no’ – and sometimes it’s ‘later’ – or even, ‘I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t guarantee anything’. A ‘no’ answer can mean that what we asked for isn’t in our best interest, after all. Even if it’s not harmful, God may have something better in mind. And He doesn’t always send answers directly from heaven – sometimes He delegates them to other human beings, to test their obedience. It may be God’s will that we should receive what we pray for, but if another person fails in his duty to God, we’re still promised that we’ll receive every blessing we deserve – if not in this life, then in the life to come.

April 15, 2014 at 10:32 am

I agree with what you have said. Our Father knows best and what will most glorify Him. We are good with that and rest in it. May you have a wonderful day. Thanks:)

4. wisediscerner

May 10, 2014 at 7:00 am

You know, Levi, you talk about how the Lord gives us the desires of our heart… Sometimes, even without my asking the Lord for something that I [need], but it is ONLY [a desire in my heart], the Lord will grant it to me. Like for instance, I had gained a little weight, and it wasn’t coming off, even though I tried to get it off, it just wasn’t coming off. I needed some bigger pants, but we couldn’t afford to buy me any, so I struggled with what I had, and I made it work, I didn’t complain, in fact, I was grateful that what I had that I could still wear. And through my mother, which by the way, I never told my mother that I needed bigger pants…but the Lord told her! So one morning while she was out garage selling looking for items to buy, she found some pants JUST my size and bought them for me! Isn’t God awesome?!!! You can imagine my excitement when I saw what my mom had bought for me when she called me to come and pick up “something” that she bought had me that day! Yes, God does give us the desires of our heart when it is unselfish and grateful for what it already has. The Lord has met many a need of mine like this…JUST from a desire in my heart.

May 10, 2014 at 10:11 am

Yes, it is awesome. He has promised to provide us with all of our needs. Many times we have desires that aren’t needs and He provides these as well just as we do for our children. And as with my own children, some of their desires wouldn’t be best for them and we didn’t supply them. But I think in the deeper sense The Lord will supply every spiritual desire that we have. That being more of Him and all that is included with it. Great comment. I’ve enjoyed. Thanks!!!