Satan Our Accuser, Christ Our Advocate

16 Apr

I am reposting this from a few months back. I think that this subject is something that we need to be reminded of; and since I now have 10 times more followers than I had when first posted it will be new to most of my followers. I trust that it will be a blessing to many today.

Satan has many names. Satan has many schemes. Satan wears many hats. Satan comes in many different disguises. And through all of it, one of his favorite tactics, and one of his most successful, is to be an accuser. The book of Revelation explains to us that night and day he stands as our accuser.

Webster’s definition of an accuser.

1: one that charges with a fault or offense
2: one that charges with an offense judicially or by a public process

Satan is an Accuser and we know his accusations. We have heard him charge us with a fault, we have heard him proclaim our guilt. We have heard it in the courtroom of our heart, and mind, and conscience.

We commit a sin. We fall into that same old sin we have been battling, that sin we swore we wouldn’t commit again. Then we discover a new sin, and for a time enjoy it. And then we hear the accusation. “You are guilty. You have committed an offense and need to be punished. You have offended God and He doesn’t want anything to do with you. You have sinned beyond his grace.  Just give up.”

Satan stands between us, the offender, and God, the offended, and cries out that we are guilty, he cries out that we must be punished, he cries out that we deserve to have the consequences of this crime heaped upon us. Satan is our greatest accuser and foe.

But There is also an Advocate.

John, who wrote the words of Revelation, also wrote these words (1 John 2:1-2): “My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; he is the expiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.”

Webster’s definition of an advocate.

1: one that pleads the cause of another; specifically : one that pleads the cause of another before a tribunal or judicial court
2: one that defends or maintains a cause or proposal
3: one that supports or promotes the interests of another

When we sin and stand in that courtroom, there is one who cries out that we are guilty. And if he were the only one speaking about us before the judge, we would be lost. We would be without hope.

But there is another. When this accuser, this prosecuting attorney has finished speaking, another man stands. He is an advocate, a defense attorney. His job is to plead another person’s case, to stand between the offender and the judge.

He cannot plead that the offender is guiltless. That would be a lie. He will not speak what is false, and he will not change the facts. He will not deny what is irrefutable. Instead, he will make this one plea: expiation. He will turn to the judge and say, “Yes, he committed the offense. Yes, he did what the Accuser says he did. But he is not guilty. He cannot be guilty, because I have already served the sentence for that offense. I served that sentence to the full so that your wrath against that offense was expiated. No guilt remains. There is nothing left to punish.”

The verdict is, and it must be, innocent. For justice has already been done.

Still, day after day, year after year, the accuser stands in that courtroom and speaks of our guilt. And day after day, year after year, the Advocate speaks a more powerful word.

But some day this courtroom will not be necessary. It will be destroyed. Before long, Satan’s role as the accuser will be over. Satan the accuser will be thrown out and destroyed. “I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, ‘Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God’.”

Do you look forward to that day?

Posted by on April 16, 2014 in A LA CARTE, Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 responses to “Satan Our Accuser, Christ Our Advocate

1. katebortell

February 5, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Sure am happy we have that advocate Levi!
    Kate

2. savedbygrace

February 6, 2014 at 4:33 am

thats the gospel right there! preach it bro! preach it!

– grace and peace

February 6, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Thanks so much. Our great Advocate is all we have. But it is sufficiently all that we need. Thanks for coming.

3. heidiskye333

April 16, 2014 at 5:44 am

I cannot wait for that day! I love Jesus! Beautiful post! Thanks. God bless!

April 16, 2014 at 7:09 am

Thanks so much and thank you for reblogging. Have a great day!!!!

4. heidiskye333

April 16, 2014 at 5:45 am

Reblogged this on Bunny Zen Mode and commented:

Here is a beautifully written post about the Gospel. Well done.

5. scythewieldor

April 16, 2014 at 9:01 am

You fed my blog thought, today. Thanks. Satan started off accusing God in Adam and Eve’s court on earth. In the dominion we inherited from them, we can become God’s advocates.
    1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

April 16, 2014 at 9:06 am

Good morning. I’m happy that God has used the post to further your thoughts for your post. Satan is the mighty accuser against us daily. I’m so thankful that we have our Advocate. Blessings today 🙂

• scythewieldor

April 18, 2014 at 11:56 am

I tried to express some of the thoughts into which your blog led me, yesterday. Thanks.

April 18, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Glad it sprung a thought. Have a great day brother.

6. K. Q. Duane

April 16, 2014 at 9:50 am

Is it Satan who accuses Christians of wrong doing when Christians embrace their faith and refuse to bake a cake for same-sex couple? I am horrified by this tactic because it has been so successful. Radical, gay extremists, such as LGBT, are successfully using our Christian faith against us in the court of law. You can’t refuse to photograph their “weddings”, fire them from a Catholic School for living an openly gay life, oppose their outrageous parades, express your faith as a business leader (Mozilla and Chic fil A) or omit them from your St. Patrick’s parades without being rounded up like common criminals!! They are out for revenge, but why, I can’t figure out. I wrote a post, called “Good Guys – Matt Barber Outs LGBT Agenda to Legally End Christian Morality” where I expose the truth behind their baseless accusations. Be gone, Satan!

April 16, 2014 at 9:57 am

Good morning. Satan stands before God accusing each of God’s people continually. He rightfully does so because even though we are believers in Christ we continually sin and fall short of God’s standard which is perfection. But Satan’s accusations can’t be used against us only because of our great Advocate and Redeemer Christ Jesus. Therefore his accusations against us mean nothing to those hidden in Christ.

• K. Q. Duane

April 16, 2014 at 11:05 am

Are we all then to be martyrs to our faith? Never defending our faith? Never speaking out against evil? Sounds like the Middle Ages redux, when there was much suffering and pain. Is this what God truly wants for His creation? That their faith brings suffering and pain upon them? Does He want His exquisite creation, made in His image and likeness, for which His beloved Son suffered and died to save, to be subjected to indefensible suffering? And, if that is the case, we are already saved. So, what would be the point of all this suffering?

April 16, 2014 at 11:11 am

It isn’t saying that we are consigned to suffering, but it could be so. There are always suffering people in the world. In fact Jesus told us to expect it. But we must always remember that He is greater than the enemy, Satan, and will be victorious. We are to continue to remain faithful and defend our faith no matter the cost, hope this helps some.

• K. Q. Duane

April 16, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thank you. I understand and pray Satan is vanquished in his most recent public efforts to destroy people of faith.

April 16, 2014 at 11:39 am

You may rest assured that he will finally be vanquished to the pit of hell. He cannot be victorious. Thanks for your comments. I hope your day goes well 🙂

• K. Q. Duane

April 16, 2014 at 11:42 am

I know. I worry about what we do in the meantime. Thanks for your encouragement. Enjoy your day too.

7. NikkiJR

April 16, 2014 at 11:51 am

This is a very insightful post. I enjoyed reading it and it is spot on with scripture. Yahweh bless.

April 16, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thanks so much. You be blessed as well. Have a great rest of the day:-)

8. Tina Bausinger

April 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Levi–nice to meet you. This is good writing, sir.

April 16, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Thank you very much. It is nice to meet you as well. I hope you enjoy some of what I post. I hope the rest of your day is pleasant 🙂

9. kellyfbarr

April 16, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Hi Levi, Just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog and becoming a follower of it. This is a good article you wrote here. God bless!

April 16, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Thank you Kelly. The pleasure is mine. Come again when you can. God bless you as well!!!!!

10. Pocketful of Motherhood

April 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Hi Levi, You have a very insightful perspective and I really enjoyed this article…and yes I look forward to that day! I appreciate you following my blog and I look forward to reading more of your great work and inspiration! Many Blessings, Hannah

April 16, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Hi Hannah ( I love your name). Thank you very much. The pleasure is mine to follow you. Hopefully we can be a blessing to each other. I hope the rest of your day is great. Levi

11. Genesis Omega Dynamics

April 16, 2014 at 10:36 pm

This is a wonderful illustration! A person who is unsure of what it all means to need Christ can definitely get a clearer picture with this. Most people have been at some point or at least know how court works. We ALL need an advocate and He is the ultimate One! I pray many people are saved today. God Bless you Levi!

April 17, 2014 at 6:43 am

Thank you so much. I think the message is much needed for people to understand that Christ is our Advocate. Have a great day:)

12. Moore to ponder

April 18, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I surely do look forward to that day. I am glad you re-posted this.

Blessings,
    Theresa

April 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Theresa. It will be far grander than our minds can capture. Have a great day!!!!!

13. Naomi

July 29, 2014 at 6:45 am

Reblogged this on Lighting the Lamp and commented:
    I am reblogging a very encouraging article from Levi Thetford. It comforted me and I trust it will be a comfort to others. We all have ongoing battles with spiritual evil in this planet: it is good to be reminded that the Lord Jesus has destroyed the enemy’s reigning power over us. He may worry us (as CH Spurgeon so eloquently put it) but he cannot claim us as his own.