Do You Delight In The Scriptures??????

17 Apr
Do You Delight In The Scriptures??????

I have been reading Jonathan Edwards for the last few days. It has been awhile since I have spent time with him and his deep biblical, Christ exalting, self denying thoughts. On Thursdays for awhile I would like to bring you some of the nuggets that I have mined in my reading. I hope that you will enjoy them half as much as I have in gathering them.

As you read what Jonathan Edwards said about Scripture, ask yourself if it is similar to your own point of view:

“I had then, and at other times, the greatest delight in the holy scriptures, of any book whatsoever. Oftentimes in reading it, every word seemed to touch my heart. I felt a harmony between something in my heart, and those sweet and powerful words. I seemed often to see so much light exhibited by every sentence, and such a refreshing food communicated, that I could not get along in reading; often dwelling long on one sentence, to see the wonders contained in it; and yet almost every sentence seemed to be full of wonders” (Personal Narrative).

How far away this is from the comments that I so often hear from people who describe their reaction to reading Scripture! ” I just don’t have time”,or “reading the Bible puts me to sleep”. I think what Edwards refers to here must be what the author of Psalm 119 had in mind when he spoke repeatedly of the impact of Scripture on his soul. I want you to consider the following samples, and ask yourself if such vivid and passionate language accurately portrays your attitude toward the glory and power of God’s Word:

“In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches” (v. 14).

“I will delight in your statutes” (v. 16).

“My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times” (v. 20).

“Your testimonies are my delight” (v. 24).

“Behold, I long for your precepts” (v. 40).

“for I find my delight in your commandments, which I love” (v. 47).

“The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces” (v. 72).

“Oh how I love your law!” (v. 97).

“How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (v. 103).

“Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart” (v. 111).

“Therefore I love your commandments above gold, above fine gold” (v. 127).

“I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil” (v. 162).

“My soul keeps your testimonies; I love them exceedingly” (v. 167).

Posted by on April 17, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , ,

49 responses to “Do You Delight In The Scriptures??????

1. Little Monk

April 17, 2014 at 5:27 am

And isn’t it wondrous when you’re reading along, and suddenly a word, or a phrase, or an image, just arrests you utterly? It’s like slipping through a trapdoor into the heart of God. And when you return, you understand something new and wonderful of Him, whether or not you can explain or describe it in words.

Liked by 3 people

April 17, 2014 at 6:40 am

You are exactly right LM. The Holy Spirit just lodges it right into our hearts. There are times I have thought on a passage for weeks. It’s great. We serve an awesome God. Have a great day!!!!

2. heidiskye333

April 17, 2014 at 5:41 am

Yes! I love the Scriptures! I feel like God is talking directly to me when I read the Bible. Awesome post! Thanks!

April 17, 2014 at 5:52 am

Levi – I am chuckling at the truth and simplicity you have brought to my day!

Chuckling because of the insight and application, truth because I see this others as well as myself, and simplicity as you have laid this out in so few words (than I would have needed … if I had ever thought it!)

Thank you!!

April 17, 2014 at 6:35 am

Paul you are just too kind this morning. I’m glad that you have chuckled this morning and been spoken to in this regard. I hope you are having a great day. It’s lunch time for you or past and I’ve not had breakfast yet. Thanks my brother!!!!!

• paulfg

April 17, 2014 at 6:41 am

Breakfast is a memory – lunch is a joy yet to come (very soon!)

🙂

4. kriselayne

April 17, 2014 at 6:52 am

This is one of my regular prayer requests for myself and for my fiancé, that we might behold wondrous things in His word and delight in them. Sometimes I feel conflicted about how repetitive the prayer feels, but really I know that it is of utmost importance. Most all other symptomatic issues have, to some degree, something to do with us loving something else more than God and His Word. Loathe your boss at work? Would rather be doing anything else with your life? Delight in God’s Word and His promises! Temper problem? Delight in God and his Word! We cannot muster up a passion for it that will last long on our own- but the Holy Spirit in us can create that burning desire.

April 17, 2014 at 7:20 am

It is Him working in us both to will and do of His good pleasure. You are spot on. Thanks for the great comment:-)

5. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

April 17, 2014 at 6:53 am

I have to admit…and I pray it does not seem boastful because I know so many struggle with this…but, I love the scriptures. I can feel how they are living words that I desperately need daily. I recommend them highly!! 😀

April 17, 2014 at 7:17 am

Skye I don’t think you’re bragging. I can see your love for God’s Word in your writings. It is alive and powerful. Have a great day!!!! Blessings:)

6. katebortell

April 17, 2014 at 7:30 am

Im with you on this completely Levi!!! 😃 Love the Scriptures and what they mean to me.
    Kate

April 17, 2014 at 9:41 am

Kate, I’m so glad that you love His Word. In them is life eternal. Have a great day. Thank you 🙂

April 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm

For so many years I told myself I didn’t have time to read the Bible, it was too difficult to understand, asked myself what difference it would make if I just didn’t bother. Well I am happy to say I did find out the difference it makes as I spend time reading His word and studying to the degree I am capable. He shows me a blessing every day! Just a week or two ago I read Psalm 119 as part of the Ladies Bible study group I am part of and it just made me more eager to read more! Thank you for sharing this post this morning Levi. God bless you!

April 17, 2014 at 1:43 pm

You’re welcome Elaine. I’m so happy you are now gleaning those Precious nuggets from His Word. Thanks a lot!!!!

8. savingwordtracts

April 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I live very close to a busy highway. Blaring auto horns, screeching tyres, and whatever, filter in and compete with my reading the Scripture. Clamors of frenetic living does the same. These are part of the ploy. But I’ve learned that consistent Scripture reading with right timing wards off the intrusion. I see reading the Scripture as having a chat with the Lord. And intimate chat needs right timing, when the world is asleep. Thanks for the post. Psalm 119 puts the Scripture at its most intimate personal level.

April 17, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I am so glad that you have found the proper time to have your chat with The Lord. Psalm 119 spoke to you. Thanks for sharing. Have a great evening:-).

9. EssentiallyUnique

April 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I really appreciated the delight and validation I felt while reading this post. One of the saddest things I experience, is knowing that most people around me can’t find comfort in God’s word during their deepest times of trouble, as I can. My greatest refuge has become God’s law and His word. Being able to memorize and annotate my favorite scriptures off the top of my head has enabled me to always have on hand, every weapon and tool God has given us to fight in the war against the enemy. I try to explain in words and description, to others, the beautiful peace that God’s word brings. I try to help them comprehend that the understanding and wisdom of the bible do not come from years, diligence, or motivation to make sense of the Word. The only wisdom one can find in reading the Word of God is through seeking God and such wisdom with all your heart. All anyone has to do is love God with all their heart, first and foremost, and then seek Him. Through seeking Him, you will inherently seek His word and innate wisdom, and by remaining committed to this, you will find all the wisdom needed to soak up the scripture in every way necessary for you. The scripture is so powerful that the message of a verse or chapter can literally adapt to where you are and what you need at whatever particular moment you read it. You can read the same scripture on the same day of the week, once a month and every time you read it, it will mean something different to you, in particular regard to what God needs you to see and hear at that very moment. I digress, haha! As you can see, I could go on forever about the wonder in the Word of God. In any regard, thank you again Levi, for this wonderfully insightful post.

April 17, 2014 at 6:14 pm

You are very welcome. I’m so pleased that it has blessed you. There is not much for me to say as you already have. If folks would just prayerfully read and read and re read the Word, the Spirit would bring it to mind when needed and through many situations every day. Thanks so much for your contribution to these comments. God bless:-)

10. Moore to ponder

April 17, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I loved that quote by Jonathan Edwards. Now I am just going to have to read more of his writings. I feel exactly the same way…. the beautiful mysteries, the wisdom, and the hope that await us every time we open our Bible. Thank you so much for sharing this post. There is a hymn that come to my mind.

Blessings,
    Theresa

“I Love to tell the Story” by Katherine A. Hankey

I love to tell the story of unseen things above,
    Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
    I love to tell the story, because I know ’tis true;
    It satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.

Refrain

I love to tell the story, ’twill be my theme in glory,
    To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.

I love to tell the story; more wonderful it seems
    Than all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams.
    I love to tell the story, it did so much for me;
    And that is just the reason I tell it now to thee.

Refrain

I love to tell the story; ’tis pleasant to repeat
    What seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.
    I love to tell the story, for some have never heard
    The message of salvation from God’s own holy Word.

Refrain

I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
    Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.
    And when, in scenes of glory, I sing the new, new song,
    ’Twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.

Refrain

April 17, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Hey Theresa, thanks for the hymn. I am very familiar with it. The tune will probably be stuck in my mind for the next day or two. It’s an oldie and goodie. If you think you may want to read Edwards let me know and I will help, if you like, to get the you started. I started with his works and the print is teeny weeny and his works are very deep. There are some better places to start. I always appreciate your comments. Have a nice evening.

• Moore to ponder

April 17, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I posted my reply in the wrong spot. Here it is again. You may delete the other if you wish.

Oh thank you so much! Whatever I read will probably be online, so luckily I can enlarge the print on the screen. If you could share the title of your favorite collection of his writings I would appreciate it.

I am partial to the writings of many old authors. However, I must confess that there are times that some of those writings contain passages that really do go over my head. I would be ever so grateful for any guidance you can offer. I have read Bunyan’s “The Pilgrim’s Progress” and his auto biography “Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners”. I also enjoy some of the writings of “The Plymouth Brethren”. My favorite author from that group of theologians was a man named “Charles Henry Mackintosh” He was from Dublin Ireland. Here is a quote from a volume of his writings titled “Notes on Exodus” that I think a man such as yourself who cherishes those moments of quiet and solitary meditation, will appreciate:

“Beloved reader, may you prove, in your own deep experience, the real meaning of “the backside of the desert,” that sacred spot where nature is laid in the dust, and God alone exalted. There it is that men and things — the world and self — present circumstances and their influence, are all valued at what they are really worth. There it is, and there alone, that you will find a divinely-adjusted balance in which to weigh all within and all around. There are no false colours, no borrowed plumes, no empty pretensions there. The enemy of your soul cannot gild the sand of that place. All is reality there. The heart that has found itself in the presence of God, at “the backside of the desert,” has right thoughts about everything. It is raised far above the exciting influence of this world’s schemes. The din and noise! the bustle and confusion of Egypt do not fall upon the ear in that distant place. The crash in the monetary and commercial world is not heard there. The sigh of ambition is not heaved there. This world’s fading laurels do not tempt there. The thirst for gold is not felt there. The eye is never dimmed with lust, nor the heart swollen with pride there. Human applause does not elate, nor human censure depress there. In a word, everything is set aside save the stillness and light of the divine presence. God’s voice alone is heard — His light enjoyed — His thoughts received. This is the place to which all must go to be educated for the ministry; and there all must remain, if they would succeed in the ministry.”

11. stephaniedavison

April 17, 2014 at 7:38 pm

LOVE Jonathan Edwards! Have you written any blogs on his “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” sermon?

April 17, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Hi Stephanie, no I’ve not written on that sermon yet but it is on my agenda, unless you already have and I might reblog it. I love him myself. I love a lot of the old divines.

12. Moore to ponder

April 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

April 17, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Theresa, thanks so much for this. I have read from the above men, especially Bunyan’s works. I don’t believe I’ve read this from Macintosh though. Quite true. Regarding Edwards you may just want to look at his Works. Within them are many parts. The 2 volume huge book set of mine is about 3,000 pages of very very small print. There is a new smaller 5 volume set called the Essential Edwards Collection that I recommend for beginners with him. They are written by Owen Strachan and Doug Sweeney. It would be a good start. Thanks so much as always. You’re a winner. I think Spring has come now to our part of the country. Hope all is well with you guys.

13. Ingrid Lochamire

April 17, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Thank you for leading us toward talking about what scripture means to us. I love reading all the comments. The Word is living and breathing, new every day. I know what you mean about having a passage hang with you for weeks. Only the inspired Word of God could do that! God Bless you today!

April 18, 2014 at 5:56 am

You’re welcome Ingrid the pleasure is mine. Yes, “the Word is alive and breathing

April 18, 2014 at 5:58 am

The previous sent by accident. Thanks for sharing. I hope your coffee shop time is going well. Have a great day!!!!!

April 18, 2014 at 2:37 am

Reading this makes me want to study the Word directly more =)

15. sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thank you dear sir for this post. I enjoy reading and pondering scriptures very much! I get such a feeling of joy when I come across one that really touches me deep in the center of my heart. Reading scripture can be an emotionally moving and uplifting experience. One of my favorite scriptures of all is: Luke 12:48 (KJV) “But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more. This particular scripture resonates with me in my life so well! Just thought I’d share.

May 27, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Wonderful text and I still love the old Kings English I was raised with and memorized most of my life. I’m thrilled that you have shared with me a little of yourself. Btw, call me Levi please. What is your name if you don’t mind telling me?

• sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Yes…I find that I prefer the KJV. I too have grown up with that version and prefer over others. Of course I don’t mind telling you my name…..it is Sylvia. I will call you Levi from this point on…..

May 27, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Sylvia, I have looked all over your blog for the sign up but don’t find it. Do you know where it is located?

• sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I may have done something wrong. I went into the dashboard, then to appearance, and clicked where it said add an email sign-up so that people can follow the blog post via email. I saved it…..not sure what happened.

May 27, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I will look in the morning early. Don’t be discouraged. You have much to offer. It takes a few months to get a good following. I really have been regularly posting for probably 7 months and have a few thousand followers now. It really is incredible. It takes a lot of time. Your day dreaming may end. Lol

• sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Thank you….your encouragement is invaluable! Blogging is time consuming, especially trying to manage 2 blogs but I must admit….I love it! Yes, looking forward to the daydream becoming a reality! 🙂

• sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I just found it….it’s on the sidebar. When you go to my blog…to the far top left corner, you will see these lines which is the sidebar. Click on that and scroll down and you will see the widget to follow via email…..

May 27, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Will do. Thanks so much.

May 27, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I have it now. You are a dear. It’s been very nice chatting with you. Maybe we can again sometime. Lord bless you!!😀

• sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:53 pm

It has been lovely chatting with you! Yes…we must do this again some time! God bless you and have a good night!

May 27, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I was just on your blog and would like to make a suggestion. You need to add the “widget” to follow by email. In the dashboard go to appearance and you will find it. I follow you but don’t get them by email. It will allow more to easily read every new post. Let me know if you decide to add it so I can get it. This is only a suggestion.

• sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Thank you! I took your advice and just added it. Please let me know if it works and if it helps.