The Wonder Of It All !!!!!!!!!

21 Apr

Immediately after The Lord saved me I was dumbstruck by the eradication of my sin. I felt the wonder of the lifting of the burden of my sin borne by Christ so life-giving; I could hardly get over it. As a long-time believer it is very easy to become unmoved by the grace and mercy that has been gifted to us by Christ. I was this way for years in the middle part of my life. I knew how gracious Christ had been toward me but I had lost the “awe” factor that I first had.

Several years ago The Lord taught me of His mercy and grace in such a way that I have remained in that first-love awe since. I pray that it will never cease to be this way. I was just introduced to a Christian songwriter, singer, and musician by the name of Matt Redman. He has a song named “Mercy” that is absolutely amazing. I tried to have a video of it here but was not permitted to share. On YouTube you can type in Matt Redman “Mercy” to hear it. Listen closely to the words. Be energized by the music. And then ask yourself: “Am I continually in awe of the wonder of God’s mercy towards me, the hell-deserving sinner that I am?” Here are the lyrics.

“I will kneel in the dust at the foot of the cross
Where mercy paid for me
Where the wrath I deserve, it is gone, it has passed
Your blood has hidden me.

Mercy, mercy, as endless as the sea
I’ll sing Your hallelujah, for all eternity.

We will lift up the cup and the bread we will break
Remembering Your love,
We were fallen from grace but You took all our shame
And nailed it to a cross

May I never lose the wonder, O the wonder of Your mercy,
May I sing Your hallelujah, hallelujah, A-men!”

Has life quenched in your heart the wonder of God’s mercy? Has the pressure of just making it one day at a time caused you to lose sight of the unimaginable depths and indescribable heights of divine mercy to a sinner such as you and I are? Are you dulled in your heart to the majesty of God’s mercy in Jesus Christ?

I’m reminded of a story I heard in college. They were the words of “Gipsy” Smith. Smith was a British evangelist who conducted evangelistic campaigns all over the United States and Great Britain for over 70 years. He was an early member of the Salvation Army.

Although I don’t find his theology or his evangelistic methods altogether acceptable, there is something he once said that I want you to consider.

A man once walked up to him after an evangelistic campaign and said, “I heard you speak 50 years ago and the Lord used your message to bring me to faith in Jesus Christ. But I have to ask: ‘How have you kept going for so long? You’ve been faithfully pursuing ministry for more than a half a century. How have you found the strength and motivation to keep going?’”

After just the slightest pause, Smith replied: “I never lost awe for the wonder of it all.”

My prayer for you and for myself is that we never lose our awe for the wonder of it all. I pray that the Spirit of God will sustain and preserve in our hearts an ever-increasing wonder for the majesty of God and the depths of His saving mercy. I pray that the Spirit of God will increase and deepen in our hearts a persistent wonder for the grace of the cross, Jesus Christ being centered, and the ever-expanding joy of heaven in the ages to come. May our fascination and excitement and awe for the wonder of God’s mercy never end!

Posted by on April 21, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , ,

24 responses to “The Wonder Of It All !!!!!!!!!

1. delonvaz

April 21, 2014 at 5:57 am

Ditto for me! I have never lost awe of His love and I know I never will, not because of who I am but because of who He is…a faithful Father and Friend!

April 21, 2014 at 6:31 am

I am so glad that you have never lost it. Our Lord is faithful and the Friend of all friends. May He continue to be ever so close to you!!!

2. Karyl

April 21, 2014 at 6:19 am

I will check out the song.

3. Yvonne I. Wilson

April 21, 2014 at 6:47 am

Levi, I just took a listen, such a beautiful song. It just exposed my ‘nothingness’ again, except that is, if not for the grace and mercy of God and the knowledge that through the shed blood of Christ my sins are washed away. I am in awe of His love and goodness towards us!

April 21, 2014 at 6:58 am

Yvonne, it’s a great song with a a wonderful message. He is over-flowing with grace and mercy to His people. Hope your day Is blessed:-))

4. insideheathershead

April 21, 2014 at 10:13 am

I was on my way to work this morning, listening to KXOJ (a Christian station in my area) and heard, really heard, Mercy Me’s “I Can Only Imagine”. This lyric echoes the “awe for the wonder of it all”: “Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still?”
    I yearn to be so in awe of Him, here and now, that I can be still, truly still, so that He can change me into who He needs me to be.
    I love the way God moves in our lives and whispers His beautiful, gracious truth in such magnificent, AWEsome ways. Blessings to you, Levi!

April 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

Good words Heather. Do you live in the Tulsa area? We have KXOJ around here, just wondering. It is something how he uses certain songs, words, people, to lodge this truth within our hearts. What a Savior we have. May your day be wonderful!!!!

• insideheathershead

April 21, 2014 at 11:21 am

Yes, I live in the Tulsa area! 🙂
        He is always reinforcing concepts for me through words. I can see one word three or four times in a day and know that He is wanting me to pay attention. I LOVE that He knows I need words to receive understanding. Some people need songs, or images, or a touch. I need words. God is so good!

April 21, 2014 at 11:57 am

He is so good and awesome the way He communicates to us. I didn’t realize we were neighbors. Do you live in B.A. area?

• insideheathershead

April 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Yes, I live B.A. Wow! Pardon the cliche, but what a small world!

April 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm

It is indeed. I live in between Tulsa and Bartlesville about 3 miles east of highway 75 on a farm. That’s neat. You’re the closest follower I have besides family and friends that I know of. The next closest is Ft. Gibson I think.

5. Anna

April 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Beautiful post and so true! Mercy Me’s “I Can Only Imagine” is one of my all time favorites. The song I turn to on the worst days is “Through the Fire” by the Crabb Family. It speaks to my heart like no other song has ever before.

April 21, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I will have to look up that song Anna. Thanks for telling me about it.

• Anna

April 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm

You’re very welcome. It is so touching.

April 21, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Great post Levi! Something to definitely think about! Love the song too!

April 21, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I’m glad that you liked it. I wasn’t familiar with it until recently. It’s a good one. Have a great rest of the day Elaine!!!

7. MelGreen

April 22, 2014 at 12:36 am

This is a beautiful message. Thank you very much for it, I had reached that point where I was starting to take His grace and mercy for granted. Thank you 🙂

April 22, 2014 at 6:30 am

I am so glad that God spoke to you through it. You’re very welcome:-))

April 22, 2014 at 3:26 am

A good reminder. That’s my personal prayer this evening–that I never lose the awe of God and the Gospel and His Son Jesus Christ

9. vwoods1212