What Happened To The Guards Of Jesus Burial Site?????

22 Apr
What Happened To The Guards Of Jesus Burial Site?????

I read this on Sunday and thought before we move on completely from the thought of Easter Sunday morning it might be interesting to consider the experience of the guards who found themselves caught up in the events they didn’t fully understand. These were the men who were assigned to guard the tomb where Jesus was laid. After the resurrection occurred, we read this in Matthew 28:11-15,

“While they were going, behold, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests all that had taken place. And when they had assembled with the elders and taken counsel, they gave a sufficient sum of money to the soldiers and said, ‘Tell people, “His disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep.” And if this comes to the governor’s ears, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.’ So they took the money and did as they were directed. And this story has been spread among the Jews to this day.”

Evidently the soldiers went directly to the chief priests and reported everything. The religious leaders then paid them a large sum of money to tell everyone that the disciples had come and stolen the body. Some find this far fetched. After all, would these soldiers have admitted falling asleep on the job, knowing that it was an offense that was punishable by death?

The guards were convinced the Sanhedrin would act as a shield between them and Pilate (Mt. 28:14). They were promised by the Jewish leaders that they would be kept out of trouble. Also, they had already committed an offense worthy of death by leaving their post at the tomb! I can also imagine that their fear of the supernatural appearance by this angel was greater than their fear of Pilate. Finally, these men were desperate to explain the absence of the body and this was the best explanation besides admitting that a resurrection had taken place.

Let’s stop for a moment and think about these soldiers. A “guard” usually was made up of 4 men who rotated shifts. During the night there would be four shifts of two to three hours each.

So what happened to the four who would have been present when the angel appeared? What was their reaction? I can’t help but wonder if they talked about it among themselves? How did they explain what they had seen? Did they lay awake at night, frightened on their beds, trying to make sense of the experience? They had no doubt heard of angels from the Jewish people they ruled over. Were they bothered by the religious leaders paying money to cover up the truth? We know these guards knew the body hadn’t been stolen. They knew something supernatural had occurred! How did they explain this to their families?

The bottom line is this: Would these men have continued to live a lie or would they bow before the risen Lord of heaven and earth? What did they do later on when they heard the disciples preaching that Jesus had indeed been raised from the dead? I don’t know, but when I get to heaven I wouldn’t be surprised if I run into a couple of them!

Posted by on April 22, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , ,

20 responses to “What Happened To The Guards Of Jesus Burial Site?????

April 22, 2014 at 6:33 am

Is it no different today? The first thing that came to my mind is how much we are like them, especially our govt. Cover ups then and cover ups now and yet the truth always seems to come out eventually. My book, “Seek His Face” brings out just how much we are like the Israelites back then. This seems to be just another confirmation of that fact. It is something to think about.

April 22, 2014 at 6:40 am

It is just like today no doubt. In fact, it has always been this way. I will have to check your book out. Thanks for letting me know about it. I hope your day is a good one:))

April 22, 2014 at 11:03 am

Interesting thoughts!

3. richardlowellbryant

April 22, 2014 at 11:12 am

Levi, You make some great observations here from what is a much neglected exegetical perspective. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Richard

April 22, 2014 at 11:22 am

Thanks Richard. I’m glad you enjoyed it. It is an interesting thing to think about. Have a great day and thanks for the follow!!!

4. "light and salt"

April 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

It would be pure speculation on our part to try to conclude what happened to those guards. It obviously was not important for us to know or it would be in scripture. However, I would suppose the incident came to nothing much, and didn’t take away from the powerful event of Christ’s resurrection in any way.

If anything, it may have shown the continued futility and chaos in the Roman camp to put some kind of “damage control” in place. Perhaps it is another example to show all of us that nothing can hold back the greatness of the Lord in His purposes…

Thanks, Levi.

Steve Pejay

April 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’m sure all that you said is true. My only thought is wondering if any of the soldiers, since they really knew the truth, ever came to The Lord. We will know when we get to Heaven. Thanks Steve!!!

• "light and salt"

April 23, 2014 at 11:35 am

I suppose several of those Roman guards, and more than a few in the Jewish council became believers at the sites they beheld at the cross!

Like you say, Levi, we won’t know until we go home to the Lord!

Enjoy your blessings in Him today, my friend…

Steve

April 23, 2014 at 4:57 am

I imagine that some of them would have come to a saving knowledge of Christ…too undeniable!

6. Family to the 5 Power!

April 23, 2014 at 8:22 am

I just forwarded this to my 15-year old. While we were traveling home from spring break the other day, she simply could not get over how in the world the guards could keep quiet (regardless of payment) or not believe after all they witnessed! Another wonderful post! Thank you!

April 23, 2014 at 9:48 am

Thank you. It sounds like your 15- yr old is thinking. That’s good!! Have a great day:)

7. Luis Hidalgo G.

April 23, 2014 at 8:27 am

Reblogged this on Luis Hidalgo G..

8. anchorrock4

April 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I will try and reblog this. More people need to read it.

9. anchorrock4

April 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Reblogged this on theperfectprescription2014 and commented:
    Reblog from Levi’s Daily Thoughts

10. 安心 ボストンバッグ 2013

May 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I just could not depart your site before suggesting that I actually loved
    the usual info an individual provide in your guests? Is
    gonna be again steadily to check up on new posts

May 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Thank you very much. I’m happy you enjoyed some of the posts. Come again and God bless you!!!!!