Condition of Blessing!!!

24 Apr

Bring ye all of the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. (Malachi 3:10)

Many read and plead this promise without noticing the condition upon which the blessing is promised. We cannot expect heaven to be opened or blessing poured out unless we pay our dues unto the Lord our God and to His cause. There would be no lack of funds for holy purposes if all professing Christians paid their fair share.

Many are poor because they rob God. Many churches, also, miss the visitation of the Spirit because they starve their ministries. If there is no temporal meat for God’s servants, we need not wonder if their ministry has been little food in it for our souls. When missions pine for means and the work of the Lord is hindered by an empty treasury, how can we look for a large amount of soul-prosperity?

Come, come! What have I given of late? Have I been mean to my God? Have I stinted my Savior? This will never do. Let me give my Lord Jesus His tithe by helping the poor and aiding His work, and then I shall prove His power to bless me on a large scale.

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “Condition of Blessing!!!

1. geoffhorswood

April 24, 2014 at 5:39 am

Hi Levi!
    While not exactly wanting to set myself up over and against the likes of Charles Haddon Spurgeon, I do have a lot of questions about how we do the whole business of tithe. Too often I’ve seen tithing made into some kind of legalistic practice whereby we earn God’s favour and blessing – I know enough of Spurgeon’s stuff to realise this is probably not what he meant, but it’s the way the “standard tithe teaching” is often applied.
    Are New Testament believers subject to the requirement to tithe at all? The New Testament, while it talks about giving (with the expectation that you are going to), never mentions the tithe. It just says to give what you have decided in your heart, generously, cheerfully and without compulsion. It’s this last that is where the issue lies. Certainly if you are aligned rightly with the Spirit of God, you will give generously, because God is generous and you want to. But we all too often make tithe into a compulsion, with churches wanting to see your tax returns and all sorts to check up on whether you’re paying your dues.
    Also, if you look at the Old Testament passages about where the tithe was to go, it’s quite surprising!

Blessings,
    Geoff

April 24, 2014 at 8:35 am

Geoff, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I post Spurgeons Faiths Checkbook everyday. I was raised under the legalistic tithing system but do not find it to be the NT guide for giving. I believe as you outlined and have found that I give way more than 10%. Being self employed all my life I never even knew or know how much I will make. Sometimes The Lord impresses on my mind a very large number for a particular need and I respond. The church we attend doesn’t even take an offering but has 2 boxes and not a word is said about giving except a couple times a year in meetings. The Lord supplies to it way more than the tithe would have prescribed. Good comment. Thanks!!!

Liked by 2 people

• Ron Whited

April 24, 2014 at 5:57 pm

So Levi,I have heard of the “Box in the back method” before but you are the first to state that it actually works. Could it be your church is an actual faith community where you are depending on The Lord to supply and He is showing himself faithful?
        Awesome!
        Ron

April 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Hey Ron, this is how it works at my church. It is great. When we started attending I kept wondering how they got by. After a couple of weeks I asked someone and they said there were a couple of boxes in the back. It wasn’t even that easy to find them. But God has more than provided our needs. No debts at all and nice facilities and graciously paid staff. It is unique but shouldn’t be.

• Ron Whited

April 24, 2014 at 6:34 pm

That is amazing! God is so faithful isn’t he? You all are so blessed!
            Ron

• geoffhorswood

April 25, 2014 at 5:22 am

Excellent! God is so good.
        I’ve been thinking about the whole concept of tithing recently, and this Spurgeon quote has galvanised me into getting some of my thoughts into bloggable form.

2. bwcarey