The “Sweetest Joys and Delight” Jonathan Edwards

24 Apr

Last Thursday, I posted the first nugget mined in my reading of Jonathan Edwards. Oh, that we would experience the same sweet fellowship with God that he did!!!

“Sometimes, only mentioning a single word caused my heart to burn within me; or only seeing the name of Christ, or the name of some attribute of God. And God has appeared glorious to me, on account of the Trinity. It has made me have exalting thoughts of God, that he subsists in three persons; Father, Son and Holy Ghost. The sweetest joys and delights I have experienced have not been those that have arisen from a hope of my own good estate; but in a direct view of the glorious things of the gospel. When I enjoy this sweetness, it seems to carry me above the thoughts of my own estate. It seems at such times a loss that I cannot bear, to take off my eye from the glorious, pleasant object I behold without me, to turn my eye in upon myself, and my own good estate.”

(Jonathan Edwards, Personal Narrative)

Posted by on April 24, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “The “Sweetest Joys and Delight” Jonathan Edwards

1. theywhoseek

April 24, 2014 at 8:36 am

Amen!

2. insideheathershead

April 24, 2014 at 9:52 am

I totally relate. Especially to this: “Sometimes, only mentioning a single word caused my heart to burn within me.” God gave us His Word and the word and oh how much I love Words!
    Thanks for sharing, Levi!

April 24, 2014 at 10:24 am

You’re quote welcome. His word is alive!!!

April 24, 2014 at 11:21 am

Hey Kelly. If you haven’t already purchased anything from Amazon I might suggest something to you. His works are quite voluminous and small print. There is a new set out by Owen Strachan and Doug Sweeney that I think would be a good place to start with Edwards. There is a small 5 book paperback collection titled The Essential Edwards. Hope this helps. You would enjoy them I think. Thanks!!!

3. Kelly Grace

April 24, 2014 at 11:13 am

He seems a man in love with his God and enthralled by His every word. That little gem at the end challenges me.
    “It seems at such times a loss that I cannot bear, to take off my eye from the glorious, pleasant object I behold without me, to turn my eye in upon myself, and my own good estate.”
    It might just be a solution to self-concern 😀
    I’m going to Amazon and find some Jonathan Edwards!

4. Equipping The Saints

April 24, 2014 at 11:55 am

Thanks – great post – please keep up the good work.

Senior Pastor/Equipping the Saints
    Philip 3:10, “That I May Know Him”

April 24, 2014 at 12:05 pm

You’re welcome. You continue the same!!!

• Equipping The Saints

April 24, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Please know how much of a blessing that you are for many, many people, most of whom you will never know, “until Glory!” May our Lord richly bless you beyond measure.

April 24, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Thanks for sharing another great nugget!

April 24, 2014 at 1:43 pm

You’re welcome Elaine. Food for thought. Thank you!!!

April 25, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Appreciate the quote

April 25, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Thanks SJ. The Essential Edwards has many of them.