Let The Birds Be Our Teacher!!!!!!!

28 Apr
Let The Birds Be Our Teacher!!!!!!!

For the next few Mondays I am going to have a post illustrating how birds can be our teachers. I have gone to Jesus own words that we all know from the Sermon on the Mount and found that He instructs us all to be bird watchers.

“Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they”? (Matthew 6:26)

When reading this verse we typically have a single train of thought; probably upon the care that out Lord provides for both the fowl of the air (birds), and us. This is the main focus I believe too. But our Lord has instructed us to watch birds in this passage. He meant more than to only observe them. The Greek verb employed here means “to fix our eyes on or to take a good look at”. This means not only the beauty or peculiarity of the birds themselves, but their behavior as well.

I worked outside all day this past Saturday. The sun was bright and the temperature warm and the wind was blowing some; but my main attraction were the birds. The past couple of years or so I have become a bird watcher. Not one to travel to distant locales to observe rare and exotic ones, not yet anyway. I am still having enjoyment with my local species. My highlight so far this Spring are the 3 nests of bluebirds with eggs. Three out of four nests with babies isn’t bad for a novice. From these three nest we could end up with 45 additional bluebirds around. That will be enjoyable to watch.

The one thing that I have paid attention to of late are the scissor-tailed flycatcher which is Oklahoma’s state bird. We always have some around it seems, especially when mowing. They are very intelligent birds as they perch on anything close, waiting to spot movements of insects as the grass is shortened. With their God-given ability they swoop down and capture their breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack.

Scripture goes even beyond birds and includes every thing God has made.
The works of the Lord are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein” (Psalm 111:2).

Since the works of The Lord refer to His creation, as well as redemption, it seems that we should study both. Many Christians know much of Christ’s redemptive work, but next to nothing of His creative work. I would like to delve into it a bit.

I want to end today with a quote which I found in my study of Martin Luther in his commentary on the Sermon on the Mount:

“You see, He is making the birds our schoolmasters and teachers. It is a great and abiding disgrace to us that in the Gospel a helpless sparrow should become a theologian and a preacher to the wisest of men. We have as many teachers and preachers as there are little birds in the air. Their living example is an embarrassment to us. Whenever you listen to a nightingale, therefore, you are listening to an excellent preacher. It is as if he were saying ” I prefer to be in the Lord’s kitchen. He has made Heaven and earth, and He Himself is the Cook and the Host. Every day He feeds and nourishes innumerable little birds out of His hand”. ( Martin Luther (1521), The Sermon on the Mount, Vol 21 of Luther’s Works, Concordia, 1956 pgs. 197-197)

Until next time,

Tags: , , , , , ,

33 responses to “Let The Birds Be Our Teacher!!!!!!!

1. insanitybytes22

April 28, 2014 at 9:17 am

What lovely sentiments, thank you.

April 28, 2014 at 10:51 am

I am constantly amazed when watching the birds in my yard. I can watch them for hours and often wonder what they are saying as they chirp, whistle, etc,. You are so right in that we can learn so much from them. I just wish I knew bird language. 🙂

April 28, 2014 at 10:55 am

Lol. It would be neat to understand bird language. My brain is to small to learn that many languages. I believe I’ve read there are 9,500 different bird species known. After 61 years I know only 3 human languages decently. Lol

3. Art Mowle

April 28, 2014 at 11:04 am

Great post Levi. I started watching the birds at the same time I started getting sober. I not only study their habits, I watch for some to return after winter. My favorites are the Cardinals. They are not only beautiful but very intelligent. It is so great to marvel at what God has given me today. I missed that all my life. Thanks for the reminder and have a Blessed day.

Art

April 28, 2014 at 11:06 am

Hey Art, I’m so glad that you also are enjoying the birds. Not matter the life we’ve lived when we are young we don’t take the time to appreciate what seem small things. I love to watch cardinals as well. Have a great day!!!!

4. Megan Sure

April 28, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Needed this today. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. To accept, just follow this link. – Meg

April 29, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Megan, thank you very much but I have decided not to take part in these awards. I appreciate it very much though!!!

5. scythewieldor

April 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm

You’re the 2nd in a week, or so, to remind of the Lord’s commandment to consider the ravens. Complicating our lives with things like too much house, too much interest in fashion, and too much interest in foods can keep us from keeping another one of Christ’s commandments (to do unto others as we would have others do unto us).

April 28, 2014 at 1:45 pm

It looks like The Lord is trying to get our attention with 2 in a week. I didn’t see the other. There is much vying for our attention. Have a great rest of the day!!!

6. "light and salt"

April 28, 2014 at 4:08 pm

His majesty is in everything and is all around us. We simply need to open our eyes with a Godly mind…

Thanks so much, Levi!

Steve Pejay

April 28, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Thank you Steve. He is every where!!!

• "light and salt"

April 29, 2014 at 10:48 am

The greatest Master Builder in existence! Great idea for a series of posts, Levi!

Have a wonderful day today…

Steve

April 29, 2014 at 10:50 am

Thanks Steve. I hope your day is pleasant!!!

• "light and salt"

April 29, 2014 at 11:55 am

Thank you Levi…and the same to you! Will try to check in on the “bird of the day” today or tomorrow.

Enjoy His love and blessings today, my friend.
            Steve

April 29, 2014 at 12:26 pm

What is the bird of the day?

• "light and salt"

April 29, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Oops…misapplied comment, Levi. Sorry about that!

Steve :/

7. vwoods1212

April 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Of a truth; everything that pertains to us is a priority with God. vw

8. Stacy Tolbert

April 28, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I look forward to following this study, for I am a student of God’s word, and I love to watch and learn more about His marvelous, strategically designed creation. Thank you Levi for this study. We serve an AWESOME God!!!

April 29, 2014 at 12:11 am

Lovely post Levi. Hope all is well in your area and the awful storms bypassed you.

April 29, 2014 at 9:45 am

They weren’t real close to us. Thanks for the kind words Elaine!!!

April 29, 2014 at 2:33 am

Looking forward to this series.
    Is your school mascot a bird (BlueJays?)

11. Genesis Omega Dynamics

April 29, 2014 at 4:10 am

I hope all is well out there Levi with the storm situation. God bless your family.

April 29, 2014 at 9:43 am

The tornadoes were about 75 miles

April 29, 2014 at 9:44 am

I hit the wrong button. Lol we are safe. Thanks for the concern and kind words!!!

• Genesis Omega Dynamics

April 30, 2014 at 3:35 am

Absolutly!
        Thank you Lord for the safety of my friends! and please bless those who are still going through. Amen

April 30, 2014 at 5:31 am

Yes my prayer is the same and for you as well. Thank you so much!!!

12. Moore to ponder

April 29, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I really do love birds. I like to watch them when I am outside. I used to have a parakeet. She had so much personality. I cried so hard the day she died.

Blessings,
    Theresa

April 29, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Thank you Thersa. I enjoy a lot watching different birds. Have a nice rest of the day!!!!

13. Anna Waldherr

March 19, 2017 at 5:23 pm

I enjoy nature programs. The activities of birds and other animals are surprisingly complex. I am always reminded of the hymn “All Things Bright and Beautiful”. Great or small, God made them all. Hope you’re well, Levi. We’re a day away from the start of Spring.

March 19, 2017 at 5:29 pm

I love nature programs and of course experiencing the outdoors daily too. My favorite series ever on tv is All Creatures Great and Small. I’ve seen all of them several times and the never get old to me. Yes, only a day away but it’s been Spring here already for a few weeks. We had hardly any winter. I imagine you got snow a few days ago and the cold didn’t you?? It’ll soon be warm. I’m well, thank you and hope you are as well. 😊