How God Opens our Eyes!!!!!!

29 Apr

“It is natural for us to trust in ourselves,” wrote James Denney. “It is so natural, and so confirmed by the habits of a lifetime, that no ordinary difficulties or perplexities avail to break us of it. It takes all God can do to root up our self-confidence. He must reduce us to despair; He must bring us to such an extremity that the one voice we have in our hearts, the one voice that cries to us wherever we look round for help, is death, death, death. It is out of this despair that the superhuman hope is born. It is out of this abject helplessness that the soul learns to look up with new trust to God. . . .

“How do most of us attain to any faith in Providence? Is it not by proving, through numberless experiments, that it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps? Is it not by coming, again and again, to the limit of our resources, and being compelled to feel that unless there is a wisdom and a love at work on our behalf, immeasurably wiser and more benign than our own, life is a moral chaos? . . . Only desperation opens our eyes to God’s love” (The Second Epistle to the Corinthians[Hodder and Stoughton, 1894, pg.18]).

Posted by on April 29, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “How God Opens our Eyes!!!!!!

April 29, 2014 at 11:41 am

The Lord took a very independent woman and through five years of very hard lessons taught me to trust and obey Him. I’m still learning. We have an awesome Savior!

April 29, 2014 at 12:28 pm

He is awesome and ever so merciful and gracious. You are a fast learner at 5 years. He will continue to work on us until we go into His presence. Thanks for commenting.

2. windleg

April 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm

“Only desperation opens our eyes to God’s love.” The statement sums up so much so perfectly.

April 29, 2014 at 3:04 pm

It does indeed. I thought it needed to be shared and reminded. Have a great day!!!!

April 30, 2014 at 12:42 am

I love seeing how he teaches us to love and obey. I never noticed until the past couple of years the ways in which he gets my attention and prods me into submission to him and has taught me to trust. Great post!

April 30, 2014 at 5:33 am

Thanks Elaine. The Lord is continually teaching us. We need to just listen. Have a great day Lady!!!

• Elaine

April 30, 2014 at 5:45 am

You have a great day as well Levi!

April 30, 2014 at 3:59 am

Never heard of Hodder and Stoughton as commentaries on 2 Corinthians before…how do you like it?

April 30, 2014 at 5:30 am

They are the publisher from long ago. It’s an old book.

5. charlypriest

June 12, 2014 at 4:18 am

I couldn´t agree more with this post. Don´t know why every time I have found myself in a life and death situation then I´m the best Catholic there is. Always say a prayer, then I forget that I wanted to say something else and go back to saying another prayer(I´m just that strange). But is very true, desperation seems to makes us look up to HIM. And I don´t know if that makes me a good Catholic or not.

P.S. Been reading through a bunch of post´s and still can´t find the one about your son.

June 12, 2014 at 8:45 am

Charly I think the name of the post is All It Takes Is A Second or something like that. Glad you liked the post. Have a great one. We are still traveling so I have little time Sorry.

• charlypriest

June 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hope you have good times in your travels. During your deserved vacation try to put down the iphone, or smartphone, or computer once in a while 🙂

June 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Still doing all 3 just not as often. Thanks. It’s fun here. I’ll have plenty of pics