“My Hometown”

30 Apr
“My Hometown”

I was a big fan of the Andy Griffith show. I remember an episode where a gentleman from back East began subscribing to the Mayberry newspaper. He became very familiar with many people of the town, and their lives through the newspaper and decided to move to Mayberry because it was the perfect place to live he thought.

Most of us would move if we didn’t enjoy where we live. Like all of us, I have followers from all over the world. I love talking to many of you from distant foreign places. Oh how different our lives must be.

I call Collinsville, Oklahoma my hometown, even though I don’t live there. It is the closest town that is about 8 miles from the farm. This is where I head every morning to one of the three places in town where we gather for coffee. I blogged of it a few weeks ago. Based upon the last census less than six thousand people live in Collinsville. It has one Main Street which has virtually all of the towns businesses.

Wherever we live it seems we take things for granted. I am accustomed to the way life is around here and think nothing unusual about it. I thought perhaps it may be so much different than many of your lives that I would share a few things.

There are many reasons why I like the small town atmosphere. Just last evening I gathered with about 400 other people for the annual water district meeting where you know many of the people present. Not many go for the meeting which lasts only 15-20 minutes. It’s the free meal of barbecue and all the trimmings that we go for, along with conversation. I guess you could say community.

There aren’t many places where you can be out mowing your grass and a neighbor will pass you on the road, pull over to the side, and I have spent up to three hours talking to them. Mind you, this is more time than I want to spend, but I have done it.

I can walk into all three banks in town and know every single person working in them. Even the grounds keepers.

Not many banks today will lend your 17 year old child money, much less with no signature from the parent. They did at my banks. They would call and make certain that I knew about it, but they didn’t require me to be on the loan. The bankers do know me well and respect me and knew that I would never let the note go unpaid. This is community. One trusting the other.

One of my good friends is a family physician. I can’t begin to tell you how many dozens of times he has done a diagnosis at our coffee shop table and written the prescription on a napkin. Seriously!! The town pharmacy owner sits with us sometimes, and when a prescription is needed Doc just tells the pharmacist and never writes one. In fact one was ordered for me this morning.

In the Summer some of us fish and catch great quantities. The coffee shop lets us have use of the building after they close and we serve all who come. Any and everyone is invited. Again, community.

To me spending Saturdays at the local livestock auction is commonplace. You see other cowboys you know and you chat and maybe buy some cattle. Probably 90% who are there every Saturday never buy an animal. The reason they are there is for the comaraderie.

Memorial Day is an event that I look forward to every year. The cemetery on the hill is just full of local people dressing the graves of deceased loved one. Most take lawn chairs and group up and visit some. The VFW is always present and after a prayer and the bugle is blown and the Pledge of Allegiance given rifles shots blaze into the air. This is an event that used to be common, but is now unique.

I could go on and on with things of this nature. It is a pleasant place for me to live. It’s the closeness of the people that I so much like. The real closeness of people that most need and yet don’t have today. We are regular people enjoying one another no matter our stations in life. There isn’t much keeping up with the Jones’s.

I am not trying to paint a picture of perfection. The people aren’t without flaw. I know, because I’m one of them. But most do rely on one another in different ways. This could be another post in itself.

Just like in the 1960s Andy Griffith Show there were still difficulties and problems, but in the end the community stuck pretty much together.

It is no accident that we all live where we do. In the providence of God we live where we do for His purpose. We are to be that shining light on the hill for all to see. To give witness of our risen Lord and of His love and mercy and grace.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on April 30, 2014 in Uncategorized

38 responses to ““My Hometown”

April 30, 2014 at 6:00 am

“It is a pleasant place for me to live.”

Levi I just love that phrase. Gushing-less, moaning-less, needing-less. It just “is.” What a gorgeous bunch of words – giving so much more than words. Thank you.

April 30, 2014 at 6:11 am

Thank you Paul. This is really a no competition area amongst most. The folks are “real” and non pretentious. We just “are” I guess you could say. Pretty tranquil. Thanks. I trying to figure out what to comment on your post. My mind is so full of thought on it. Very thought provoking. I will “chew” on it a bit. Have a great day!!!

2. Wendell A. Brown

April 30, 2014 at 6:43 am

So very delightful to read…i am partial to small towns…even though i was raised in Philadelphia, i was born in a small town called Darby, where my mothers family were raised. And i always loved the closeness that the residents in small towns shared.

April 30, 2014 at 6:51 am

I glad that you enjoyed it Wendell. It isn’t for everyone but it fits me. Have a great day!!!

3. atimetoshare

April 30, 2014 at 7:55 am

I would love to live in your town, but God has placed me in a big city and I guess he knows what he’s doing. Thanks for continuing to spread the light.

April 30, 2014 at 9:42 am

The Lord undoubtedly has a reason for you there. It’s interesting that Paul was a big city guy and Jesus was more of a rural ministry. Be that light where you are. Thanks and have a great day!!!

4. theenglishrose2014

April 30, 2014 at 8:12 am

Living in a metropolitan area of multiplied millions, your town seems like such a foreign concept, Levi!! It’s a good thing you included the disclaimer that it’s not perfect because it seems very close! 🙂 Must be very special. Thanks for sharing it with us! Blessings!

April 30, 2014 at 9:50 am

It is a delightful place to live but naturally not perfect as no place is. I have lived in the largest city of the world and did not care for it but we all have our preferences and God uses us there. It takes all of us. Thanks.

5. Michael

April 30, 2014 at 9:58 am

Here and there we discover places that retain much of the goodness of yesteryear. How good it is. By the way, Mayberry (Mt. Airy) is just up the highway from me. It’s still a little like Collinsville.

April 30, 2014 at 9:59 am

That’s neat Mike. I have said often that I wanted to go there but never made it yet. Have you stopped posting again?

• Michael

April 30, 2014 at 10:04 am

No sir. I posted just yesterday, although it has been a week. I’ll do better, Levi! 😀

6. james1948

April 30, 2014 at 10:31 am

I love this narrative. Makes me want to move there but the Lord has put me where I am to pastor his flock here.

April 30, 2014 at 11:14 am

And you’re exactly in the right place brother. I’m thankful to be able to live and be used here. Have a great day!!!

7. Heather

April 30, 2014 at 10:45 am

We visited “Mayberry” (Mt. Airy, NC) last year and it was awesome! We too love us some Andy : ) Your hometown sounds beautiful and simple. Thanks for sharing!

April 30, 2014 at 10:56 am

It is nice if you prefer that type of lifestyle. Not perfect but good most of the time. It’s better since the party lines on telephones are gone. Lol. I’ve wanted to go to Mt. Airy as well but not made it yet. Thanks and have a great day!!!

8. Ally Gonzales

April 30, 2014 at 10:55 am

I must say loved the way you described Collinsville so perfectly. It truly is a great little town with a friendly little atmosphere. My family and I have been through there many times for livestock, as it isn’t too far from where we live.

April 30, 2014 at 11:12 am

Cool. Where do you live?

• Ally Gonzales

April 30, 2014 at 2:11 pm

The biggest town close by and the one I call home is Claremore. It’s a bit bigger than Collinsville, because of Claremore being a major suburb of Tulsa and Owasso, but it’s still kind of a small town.

April 30, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I go to claremore very often. Nice town. I go to Stillwater milling very often. Glad you’re close.

9. tellthetruth1

April 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

What a lovely life. Pray the Lord continues to allow you to enjoy it 🙂

April 30, 2014 at 11:12 am

Thank you very much, most kind. I’m hope your day is pleasurable.

10. Ingrid Lochamire

April 30, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Thank you for sharing your hometown with us, Levi. This is what life is all about, isn’t it? Community. We live on a farm in rural Indiana and what you just described sounds so much like the town 10 miles down the road where I go for banking, groceries, church, business. Bless you for beginning my day well with this visit to your hometown.

April 30, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I enjoyed doing it. I take it for granted because I’m use to it but thought it is so much different from big city life that many would like it. I’m happy you have a similar situation. Thanks so much for your encouraging words. Have a nice evening:))

11. messagefromthefield

April 30, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for sharing Levi.
    I to am a Andy Griffith fan. One of my favorite writers wrote that the reason we are drawn to things like Andy and Mayberry, the children’s stories that begin with “once upon a time” and the movies that speak to our heart where the good guys win in the end is that it draws us to God’s story and He speaks to us through these tales. The way you described Collinsville makes me feel like I’ve been there!
    Thanks for sharing I really enjoy your writing.

April 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Oh, thanks so much. Thanks for reading it. There are still places like this but not many. Have a good night and come again!!!

April 30, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Wow that’s a totally different way of life than mine in Southern California. Sounds sweet!

13. AuAu

May 1, 2014 at 4:52 am

A good community makes everything so much better, we are all humans after all.

May 1, 2014 at 6:38 am

You correct. Community is very important. Have a great day!!!!

14. vwoods1212

May 1, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I love me some AG and i just about adore your description of your town because it is what many of us don’t have. May God continue to bless you all. vw

15. wisediscerner

July 16, 2014 at 5:54 pm

What a small world, Levi. I was born in Ada, OK, and my grandparents lived in Connerville, OK! Connerville is an unincorporated Community of Johnston County. I miss taking the trips there every year growing up to visit them…but one day, I’ll be reunited in heaven with them. I enjoyed your story, it brought back some wonderful childhood memories. Thanks for sharing it. May God bless you!

July 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm

It is a very small world. I’m in NYC for over 2 weeks sharing the Gospel. Only today, I talked with a young man from around Stillwater, Ok. Who just moved her a couple of years ago. Thanks for sharing. Lord bless you!!!

16. Cynthia Reyes

November 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm

There is so much in this post that I like. I appreciate and even relate to the small town/village feeling that you describe. Thank you, Levi.

17. Levi Thetford

November 8, 2014 at 4:49 pm

My pleasure “small town girl”. Lol 🙂

18. Anna Waldherr

May 24, 2015 at 12:15 pm

This was a real blessing, Levi. My sister has moved to a rural area, in the hope of recapturing some of the sense of community you describe. She calls the place “Mayberry”. I plan to follow sometime in the coming year. God bless!

May 24, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed this Anna. I really have been blessed because I travel to big cities about a third of the year and come home to this peaceful place. May the Lord bless your sisters move, as well as yours in the near future.