A Dumb Incident From My Youth!!!!!!!

02 May
A Dumb Incident From My Youth!!!!!!!

I have mentioned on ocassions that The Lord saved me at the age of 12. That was almost 50 years ago. Wow, a half century. How time flies. Anyway, most of my life I have lived consistently for The Lord and been involved in ministry. But in my younger days, particularly teenage years, I was an erratic young Christian. I was kinda ornery. Not mean, or a thief, or drug user, but I enjoyed drinking beer on Friday nights with my friends and I loved nice fast cars.

This incident happened when I was 17. At the time I had my drivers license suspended in 2 states, Oklahoma and Kansas. My foot was kinda heavy, and I loved to drag race.This was in the 1960s before computers and you could by with multiple state licenses. At the time, my friend and I were on our way to a rodeo in Pawhuska, Oklahoma. That was about 50 miles away. Instead of taking my pickup and trailer with horses I was driving my 1957 Chevy Nomad. This Nomad had a souped up engine with a 4 speed manual transmission and was very fast. Our mission that night was to pickup a couple of girls.

Since we were under age we stopped in Bartlesville, Ok. where we knew we could buy a case of beer from a particular store. We had purchased the beer and was going through town and I just happened to be speeding a little. A policeman happened to be near and had me on radar. He rapidly came in behind me with red lights flashing. Since I was unlicensed, under age with beer, there was but one thing for me to do in my juvenile thinking. OUTRUN HIM!!!!!

I down shifted my little Nomad and tires were smoking. I happened to know the back roads out of town and was planning on hitting the back country roads. I had pulled away from him by about a half a mile never thinking about police radios. After a couple of miles a road block was set up in front of me as well as police behind me with no escape. I pulled over and stopped and within minutes I was in the back seat of the police car headed for jail. They let my friend leave with my car and go home minus the case of beer.

After arriving at police headquarters I wasn’t booked into jail. They sat me in a room for 30 minutes or so by myself. They had run checks on me and knew my license was suspended. They had several charges against me.

The officer said ” how much money do you have on you cowboy”? I pulled my small wad out and counted $77. He told me that if he dropped one of the charges the tickets would cost $75. He was willing to give me a break. I handed him all of my money and the officer actually pulled out a $5 bill and said “I hate seeing a guy broke on Friday night, now get out of here!!!”

I’m sure the money probably never hit the city coffers, my parents were never notified, and it never was reported to the State for points against my suspended license. Such were the days when I was a young dumb kid.

But the mercy of God was with me even in my rebellion. I have told this story several times over the years! Not bragging, but illustrating stupidity. The Lord God has taught me many lessons through my dumbness and sinfulness. And He has moulded me into the person I am today through them.

David penned this in Psalm 145:8

“The LORD is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love”

His mercy endureth forever. Let’s never forget this.

Until next time, Lord willing

Posted by on May 2, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

28 responses to “A Dumb Incident From My Youth!!!!!!!

1. katebortell

May 2, 2014 at 5:30 am

Wow! What a story Levi. Those years teach us so much if we are willing to learn. You obviously learned much from them. Thanks so much for opening up and sharing that with us. We always think we are invincable as teenagers dont we? God was truly watching over you!

May 2, 2014 at 6:11 am

Katie, God was and is always watching after His people. The amazing thing to me is His mercy and gracious love, not without discipline, but how He continued draw me closer to Himself. Within 5 years of this and I was a completely different person married with 2 children and studying His word in college. Thank you :))

2. Equipping The Saints

May 2, 2014 at 7:32 am

Hey! What a story! And, what a picture of the car! Please have a blessed day.

3. XNewkirk

May 2, 2014 at 7:35 am

I think We all have these moments. The best thing that comes from them are good lessons.

May 2, 2014 at 7:41 am

Your right. Most of us have these times. I may have more than most but God was gracious with me. Thanks

4. Debbie M.

May 2, 2014 at 7:51 am

Recognizing God’s grace is a wonderful gift! What a great story and so glad that the lesson was learned!

May 2, 2014 at 9:13 am

I have many of them from teenage years. But the mercy and love of God pursued me. Thanks girl!!!

5. Family to the 5 Power!

May 2, 2014 at 8:11 am

What a terrific story that I’m grateful that you shared this morning! This is certainly worth telling “several times”, as it resonates with people who were either rebellious teens in their youth or who may be raising rebellious teens. Look how faithful and amazing you turned out despite the crazy antics! 🙂

May 2, 2014 at 9:09 am

The Lord is truly merciful and gracious and long suffering. I have any of these stories unfortunately. Thank you!!!

6. kcg1974

May 2, 2014 at 9:50 am

We’ve all been there…Enjoyable post from your memory.

May 2, 2014 at 10:19 am

Thank you Kim. Often times you think of people always being the way you see them now and realize that it was the grace of God that has done the changing. Thanks as always!!!

May 2, 2014 at 10:30 am

Great story of mercy. You may still be sitting in that jail if not for Him showing mercy through that cop.

May 2, 2014 at 10:32 am

That was 45 years ago, lol. I have more stories than this for sure but The Lord is rich in mercy. Aren’t we thankful for that? Have a great day!!!!

8. Kelly Grace

May 2, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Great recollection Levi.
    We get a different perspective on our youthful escapades as we get older—and hopefully wiser.
    His kindness leads us to repentance and He knew the plans he had for you didn’t include jail 🙂
    Many of us say with David, “don’t remember the sins of my youth”!

May 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I don’t cherish those days at at but do marvel in God’s patience and mercy. Things that happened back then you wouldn’t get by with today and would thought to be a hoodlum. My how times change and God changes us. All praise goes to Him!!! Thanks!!

9. Art Mowle

May 2, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Thank you for sharing this story Levi. I have a few of them also 🙂 I had a 1957 Chevy named “Mellow Yellow” in high school and buddy she could fly. Have a blessed day. 🙂

May 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm

You too Art. I have some drinking stories too from when I was a kid. That same Nomad I crashed into a tombstone in a grave yard 2 years later while I was not in good shape. You know what I mean. I haven’t drank for 40 years. It was weekend kid partying. Nothing to brag about. Have a good one:-)

May 2, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Oh the things God has protected and saved us from! ha! and our kids usually think we know nothing about this sort of thing! Thanks for sharing this story Levi and praise God for the lessons we all learned.

May 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm

The kids can’t pull any wool over my eyes. I probably done them all and can figure it out quickly. Lol thanks Elaine.

11. windleg

May 2, 2014 at 3:29 pm

A great reminder that we can never outrun His grace!

May 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm

The hound dogs of Heaven stay on the trail of God’s people I say. We can’t outrun Him. Thanks!!!

12. "light and salt"

May 2, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Reblogged this on "light and salt" and commented:
    Levi is quite a great story teller, and a great brother in Christ!

13. vwoods1212

May 2, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I like your “My foot was kinda heavy” scenario. Kinda. lol. Call it what it is 🙂 Thank God for His mercy indeed. vw

May 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Cowboy boots weigh more. Lol I was a speedy kid no doubt but The Lord delivered me by His grace and mercy. Have a nice evening!!

14. demilhadey

May 5, 2014 at 4:36 pm

God is the perfect father….always waiting for us to come back home if we ever stray.

May 5, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Amen!! Isn’t He merciful and gracious? Thanks so much!!!!