My 2 Katie Girls !!!!!!!!

06 May

katie 006

My Katie girl! This is what I say all of the time to my 2 year old Lab. This Katie is the second Katie Lab that I have had. The first was several years ago when my wife surprised me with a 6 week old pup for Christmas. She was absolutely beautiful. I had her with me every time we went to feed cattle, walk in the woods, or just work in the flower bed. I loved to watch her jump into the pond and swim no matter the temperature. Labs are called water dogs for a reason. I enrolled Katie in an obedience school right away where we went every Monday for months. Katie was a wonderful dog. She was beautiful, a quick learner, and ready to please.

Katie #2 came to me in a much different way. We live out in the country. Many town people, when tired of pups in the young stage when they tear up anything in sight decide to get rid of them. Many just come to the country to unload them. They find what looks like a nice place and drop them off. Katie was one of these dropped off dogs about 18 months ago. She was so pretty at first sight. Her disposition was so sweet. Her face told you that she wanted to stay. We really weren’t looking for another dog but who could resist her; so we adopted her. I tried thinking of a good name for her, but Katie just stuck in my mind. For some reason I love that name. She reminded me so much of Katie #1. She has worked out to be an excellent dog. Now I have another friend when I go to the pasture and I love to watch her romp and play and swim. She is always ready to please and play as well. Katie is pretty obedient but still learning. She truly is a gift from God.

Both Katie girls remind me of some things taught in Scripture. First, as both Katie’s had to learn obedience, so do believers. The moment Christ saved us, He didn’t expect for us to know it all and be perfect. From the moment we believed, and became new creatures in Him, He began to teach us, little by little. We don’t always listen, but He is so patient and merciful and long suffering and gracious. This teaching from Him will go on for the rest of our earthly lives. And the learning will never stop until we are with Him in Heaven. My motivation every day is to try to be a good learner of my Master’s teaching. Just as my Katies learned from me, I am to learn from Him.

Another thing I am reminded of with both Katies is that we allowed them to come live with us. We adopted them into our family. Again, I am reminded in Scripture that all who believe in Him have been adopted into His family. What a royal privilege we have, to have the very God of Heaven invite us into His family. He didn’t invite me because I was good, or had anything to offer, but because He set His love upon me. What a humbling, and yet, glorious thought! Being adopted by God means I have new rights. I have become His heir. This gives me some standing now with God. I now have a new name. I am now a child of God. My protection is now His concern, not mine. He cares for my every need. My relationship has also changed. Instead of fearing God as Judge, He is now my Father. I am now His son and I am loved by Him. I am His, and He is mine. He wants the best for me. And because I have such gratitude for what He has done for me, I am more than willing to learn more of Him. My utmost desire is to please Him. Even though I’m not perfect, He puts up with me any way.

What a lesson from my two Katies. What a lesson for us to cherish. The next time you look upon your dog, I hope that you are reminded of all that we have in Christ. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll have another Katie girl and more lessons to learn from my Master.

Posted by on May 6, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 responses to “My 2 Katie Girls !!!!!!!!

1. kiwiskan

May 6, 2014 at 5:01 am

well put

May 6, 2014 at 5:03 am

Thank you ma’am. I hope your day has been a good one!!!

2. Morgan

May 6, 2014 at 5:05 am

Beautiful, smiling Friends 🙂

May 6, 2014 at 5:08 am

Thanks Morgan. They aim to please and are a great joy for sure!!! Grace to you today!!!

• Morgan

May 6, 2014 at 7:22 am

Thank you 🙂 and back to you!

3. Karina Susanto

May 6, 2014 at 5:22 am

Brother Levi,
    This was such a beautiful reminder. Thank you 🙂 Have a blessed day.

May 6, 2014 at 5:24 am

Thanks so much Karina. And you have a peaceful night! 🙂

4. lulu

May 6, 2014 at 5:44 am

Katie is a lovely metaphor as well as a loving pet.

May 6, 2014 at 5:56 am

Your right on both accounts, thanks so much Lulu, have a great day!!!

5. Yvonne I. Wilson

May 6, 2014 at 5:48 am

I love the way you’ve brought the story about Katie and apply the concept/principle to us as Christians. It is so true, we come to Jesus from a world of disobedience but through His word He teaches us and we are transformed daily until we become what He wants us to be.

May 6, 2014 at 5:55 am

The analogy fit. For me the best part is having a new name, new rights, been adopted by His choosing, etc, thanks so much. I hope your day is blessed!!!

6. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

May 6, 2014 at 6:07 am

A perfectly put together post…..I love how you tied it all together! Thank you, Levi.

May 6, 2014 at 6:11 am

Thank you for the so kind words Skye and also for retweeting them all the time. I do have you have a very lovely day!!!!

May 6, 2014 at 10:42 am

What a beautiful lesson. Our dogs love us unconditionally and what a great reminder of Christ’s unconditional love. Blessings to you. I want to give Katie #2 a hug! 🙂

8. Anna

May 6, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I love this lesson. Do you mind if I print it out and share with my 11-year-old niece who became a believer just this morning? She was asking her mom many questions.

When asked if she wanted to be saved and become a Christian, she said yes. They prayed, and my niece told my sis an immediate calm came over her, and she felt different. I understand if you don’t want it printed.

You put the miracle of salvation in wonderful perspective. 🙂

Also, we get those drop off dogs ALL the time. We clean them up and try to find new homes. If we can’t, they become our family.

May 6, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Anna, what a wonderful thing to share with me about your niece. Anything that I post is welcome to you at any time or anyone else. I’m just thankful that The Lord uses some of my words occasionally for His glory. Great news. I’m happy for the family. On the stray dog situation, all I can say is that it’s better than cats. Lol. Good day my girl!!

• Anna

May 6, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thank you so much for letting me share your post. We never get stray cats. Too many dogs! Have a lovely day! 🙂

May 6, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Love this post Levi! Very well said! Beautiful dogs as well! Have a wonderful day Levi!

May 6, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Thanks as always Elaine. Been working farm work today. Talk to you later!!!

10. "light and salt"

May 6, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Ah, Levi…teaching us that all things in life somehow tie back to the Creator of all! Good job as always.

Steve Pejay

May 6, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Thanks as usual Steve. You’re a Dandy!!! Lol. Keep up the good work yourself!!

• "light and salt"

May 7, 2014 at 10:40 am

You bet, my friend! May stop in to “steal” one of your great stories later…

Have a super day,
        Steve

11. InfiniteZip

June 24, 2014 at 4:28 am

Double the Katie fun and excellent equation to faith:) thanks Levi , you are a wise man:)

June 24, 2014 at 5:14 am

Thank you for you kind words this morning Kim. Have a great day!🌺