Men Build Bridges but God Separates the Waters !!!!!!

07 May
Men Build Bridges but God Separates the Waters !!!!!!

On our farm lies a ravine just to the south of my shop a 100 feet or so. This ravine sufficiently feeds more than enough water to a very pretty 17 feet deep pond we built as a focal point behind the house. We built the pond before construction of the new home to make certain the setting was going to be in the desired place. With all of the trees and shade it is a very park like setting.

For a year or two I had wanted to build a nice bridge across the ravine. In dry times you can walk through it and in a place or two I can jump it. Often times it is full of water or is muddy. The land behind the pond isn’t landlocked, but it is a longer ride or walk around to the opposite side of the pond. A bridge would make it much nicer and I love to always be improving a place, especially with unique structures. The width of the bridge needed to be at least wide enough to allow a big four-wheeler to easily pass through.

Last Spring, with the able help of one of my son-in- laws, Nick, we began the project. All of the materials were purchased, or scavenged, and the work began. Within only a day or two of labor, and a few short shifts in the evening the bridge was complete. As you can see in the photo the bridge is very substantial, nice looking, and very usable. We have had requests to use it for some events and have allowed them to use the site. It should be there for many years because we built it to last.

bridge

There are many very large bridges in the world. The Golden Gate Bridge around San Franciso is almost 3 miles long and was a huge feat when completed in 1933. Tens of thousands of motorists use it daily to cross a span of the Pacific Ocean. It is a remarkable man-made accomplishment.

The Brooklyn Bridge is another of the worlds great bridges in New York City and is the oldest suspension bridge in the United States. Completed in 1883, it connects the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn by spanning the East River. This is another of mans huge accomplishments to bridge areas not easily accessed.

I began to think of “bridges” in light of Scripture. There is very little in my life that I don’t think of this way; and I couldn’t think of a bridge ever being mentioned. I pulled my concordances from my bookshelves an poured through the pages to find no mention of a bridge or bridges.

In my pondering of the thought it occurred to me that the omnipotent Ruler of the universe needs no bridges. He merely separates the water for His people to go through on dry ground and the direct path is safe for passage. In another situation Jesus just walked on water. Wow!! How incredible!!

In my life, sometimes I still try to build bridges. There are a couple of situations that I would love to construct the grandest, strongest bridge to quickly reach the other side safely for all traveling on it with me. Waiting is hard for something that you really cherish. But after contemplating on the omnipotence (all powerfulness) of God I realize that at just the right time He will open the waters up for me, and I shall walk (or run) through on dry ground at the proper time. And the destination and prize will be so worth waiting for.

What a lesson from a wooden bridge.

Until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on May 7, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 responses to “Men Build Bridges but God Separates the Waters !!!!!!

1. Mark Myers

May 7, 2014 at 5:25 am

Levi, beautiful bridge. Well done. Also a great reminder of the difference between God and us. I love the parallel – he is no bridge builder yet he spans the water his way.

May 7, 2014 at 5:27 am

Thanks Mark. As I mentioned, I couldn’t remember of a bridge in Scripture. Certainly He doesn’t need them. I hope you are having a good hair day and things are going well with your daughter. Still praying for you guys!!!

May 7, 2014 at 5:41 am

“the omnipotent Ruler of the universe needs no bridges” – what lovely words and links – and thank you for “parting” some of my thinking today!!

May 7, 2014 at 5:43 am

You’re a dear brother and I love you man. Have a great day!!

3. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

May 7, 2014 at 7:28 am

As always, your words speak volumes to my heart. Thank you, Levi. I love that you are a daily blessing here. 🙂

• Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

May 7, 2014 at 7:30 am

I wanted to say, too, that I love your new avi. She is adorable, and your smile speaks of the joy you hold in your heart. Love it!

May 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thanks. She’s my youngest granddaughter. She makes me smile. She’s the only one of 14 that lives far off.

• Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

May 7, 2014 at 7:54 am

Oh, I dread the thought of that….my four still live under my roof….I try and cherish every moment. God is sooo going to have to walk me through the empty nest thing someday.

May 7, 2014 at 10:32 am

It can be a big shock but even the son that lives in Oregon I speak with on his way to work. They are always our babies

May 7, 2014 at 7:31 am

Thanks so much. You’re a daily blessing to me as well!!! Have a great one:))

4. Heather

May 7, 2014 at 8:04 am

I love this! I had never thought much about there being no references to bridges in scripture…! What always amazed me in the parting of the red sea story was that God took care of the smallest details even letting them walk across on dry ground- in the middle of a sea…! God is truly in the details… : ) Have a wonderful day Levi!

May 7, 2014 at 8:29 am

Thanks Heather. I had never had the thought as well. God is definitely a Micro Manager. Every detail is just right. Lol. Have a great day!!!

5. mzkoko78

May 7, 2014 at 8:16 am

“Omnipotent Ruler needs no bridges…separates the water” Powerful, Powerful statement!!!

6. "light and salt"

May 7, 2014 at 10:43 am

Reblogged this on "light and salt" and commented:
    Our friend Levi “schools” us on bridges and God…

7. theenglishrose2014

May 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Beautiful bridge & poignant story about the Way Maker we serve! God seldom moves in ways we anticipate, but He is ever faithful.

8. theenglishrose2014

May 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Reblogged this on englishrose2014 and commented:
    Another great post from Levi! Check out his blog. You won’t be disappointed ever! 🙂

9. Nate

May 8, 2014 at 1:59 am

It is an interesting contrast between God opening the waters and people building bridges. God opens waters for a period of time, for specific purposes, whenever he wants (needs?) to do it. People build structures that are (from God’s perspective) temporal. They are often built for one purpose, but can get used (and abused?) in many other ways.

May 8, 2014 at 4:13 am

Good morning Nate. I agree that there are contrast and analogies. I’m certain God isn’t against our bridges that we use. But as you stated they are temporal. But when The Lord God wants something done by us He will open up the sea for us to make our course. He prepares and supplies and enables if He wants us to accomplish something for His glory. Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing. Levi

10. Sheila

May 8, 2014 at 10:00 am

Great post, Levi! I’d never thought about bridges not being mentioned in Scripture, either. But you’re right, the One who IS the bridge certainly doesn’t need them, does he? Thanks for this encouraging word!

May 8, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Interesting find…I know it’s not necesarily a biblical motif but this makes me think of the “Bridge” diagram for evangelism

May 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I think it works in evangelism too. In July I am going to work for 2 weeks with Jews For Jesus in NYC in street evangelism among basically Orthodox Jews. It should be quite interesting. Every year there have been several truly saved through the efforts. There will be many incidents I’m certain. We must remain strong through the power of His might. Good work brother.

12. Daddysgirl

May 8, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Really cool revelation!!!! Whoa really interesting. ….yep He parts the water to accomplish the purpose. Thank you for sharing.