J.I. Packer’s Thought On Patience !!!!!!

14 May

“Patience . . . is a habit of mind and heart that grows out of inner peace. Patience trusts God to be at work even in the frustrating events of life, whether it is engorged traffic or crying babies or implacable vendettas or a seemingly unending series of personal disasters. Patience thinks before speaking, aiming to avoid offending. Patience wills the self to see the world from someone else’s perspective – and to walk with that person through their world. Patience is rooted in hope because ‘if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience’ (Rom. 8:25). Patience takes the long view; unfazed by short-term setbacks, it will carry on unruffled instead giving up in despair. Patience accepts God’s timing and responds to others in a way that reflects the patience God has toward us. ‘With the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord . . . is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance’ (2 Peter 3:8-9). Patience sees today in the perspective of eternity – and so can laugh” (Guard Us, Guide Us, 70).

Posted by on May 14, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

23 responses to “J.I. Packer’s Thought On Patience !!!!!!

1. Aurora

May 14, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thank you for the post.

2. Sheila

May 14, 2014 at 9:35 am

Beautiful! Thanks.

May 14, 2014 at 9:38 am

You’re welcome Sheila. Have a great rest of the day!!!

3. Art Mowle

May 14, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I sure needed to read this Levi. Great post. Thank you also for your support the last couple days. I was listening to me 🙂

May 14, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I’m here Art. More silent, but praying for you. Just so you know.

• Art Mowle

May 14, 2014 at 4:36 pm

4. kiwiskan

May 14, 2014 at 5:36 pm

…and patience is hard when you’re praying for someone you love for so long…

May 14, 2014 at 5:58 pm

It is. I have some of those as well. Just a quick word on this. I have a coffee shop friend that is 83. His age is catching up with and he undoubtedly is thinking about it. He has always sneered when anyone spoke of God or scripture. 3 weeks ago he was saved. We don’t know when or how but God does. Thanks!

5. Anonymous

May 14, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I love that JI Packard!

May 14, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I think he’s great myself. I’ve loved him since I read Knowing God since some time in the 70s I think. So glad you enjoyed it.

6. Ron Whited

May 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Thanks for posting this Levi. Like you and so many others I have come to understand that patience and God’s timing go hand in hand.It has been my experience that the Lord neither slumbers or hurries, but rather meets with us at His appointed time…every time.
    May the Lord bless you and your family,

Ron

May 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for the great words. He neither sleeps or slumbers and has all things under control. That is very comforting to me and you as well I’m sure. I just was finishing my next little episode after leaving bible college for Fiday. May you and your family be blessed as well. Btw, where do you live if you don’t mind me asking?

• Ron Whited

May 15, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Levi:
        I live in a small town just North of Dayton Ohio. Smack dab in the middle of miles and miles of cornfields!
        God bless!

May 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Okay, thanks. I was curious. I enjoy knowing where people are from. Sounds peaceful to me in the midst of cornfields. I do have one just to me west but the other directions are pasture. Have a great evening!

7. rhsministries

May 14, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Reblogged this on R.H.S. Ministries.

May 15, 2014 at 12:12 am

Thanks for posting this Levi! Hope you are having a great week!

May 15, 2014 at 6:01 am

You are welcome. So far so good. Blessings to you!!!😀

May 16, 2014 at 3:22 am

May we all have more patience!

10. teresapoetry

May 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Having patience is trusting God….AMEN!!

May 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Yes it is! Thanks for reading and commenting. Have a great weekend!!

11. Anna Waldherr

June 21, 2015 at 7:07 am

I have never thought of myself as a patient woman. Whether this is constitutional weakness, or the result of my life experiences, I cannot say. Probably some combination. But I have improved…at least I think I have (LOL).

I have no patience for the slow pace of change, in terms of injustice and racism. My greatest challenge though is waiting on God, when I am anxious for the outcome in some critical situation.

I believe God gradually teaches us to trust. The better we know Him, the easier trusting Him becomes.

Blessings,