Losses Overcome !!!!!!

18 May
Losses Overcome !!!!!!

And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten. (Joel 2:25)

Yes, those wasted years over which we sigh shall be restored to us. God can give us such plentiful grace that we shall crowd into the remainder of our days as much of service as will be some recompense for those years of unregeneracy over which we mourn in humble penitence. The locusts of backsliding, worldliness, lukewarmness, are now viewed by us as a terrible plague. Oh, that they had never come near us! The Lord in mercy has now taken them away, and we are full of zeal to serve Him. Blessed be His name, we can raise such harvests of spiritual graces as shall make our former barrenness to disappear. Through rich grace we can turn to account our bitter experience and use it to warn others. We can become the more rooted in humility, childlike dependence, and penitent spirituality by reason of our former shortcomings. If we are the more watchful, zealous, and tender, we shall gain by our lamentable losses. The wasted years, by a miracle of love, can be restored. Does it seem too great a boon? Let us believe for it and live for it, and we may yet realize it, even as Peter became all the more useful a man after his presumption was cured by his discovered weakness. Lord, aid us by Thy grace.

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

12 responses to “Losses Overcome !!!!!!

1. Nate

May 18, 2014 at 5:09 am

Oh that churches could pray this today.

May 18, 2014 at 7:12 am

Amen Nate. I pray that your Lord’s day is blessed!!

May 18, 2014 at 11:28 am

We can “warn” others through our mistakes but we can also encourage others through our victories. The restoration is the victory and that’s where I like to focus. Mistakes = flesh. Victories = Spirit Anyway that’s the way I see it. 🙂

3. Stacy Tolbert

May 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Levi, I believe that our connection is divine. I have been using your post as part of my daily devotionals and I believe that the Holy Spirit is using you particularly in my life. Continue to be that vessel brother, you have no idea just how much you impact an individual through your obedience. Thanks again my brother.
    P.S.

May 18, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Stacy, I’m so glad God is using them in your life. Lord willing, I shall continue my Brother, I’m praying for you too at this time. Great day!!!

4. kiwiskan

May 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I can vouch for that. I was given this verse when I was baptised – too late to bring my own children up as Christians, but God led us into working with children, and gave us back the opportunity to share His love. It wasn’t until I looked back that I realised the truth of that verse.

May 18, 2014 at 4:46 pm

God’s timing is always right. I am sure you have shown much love over the years. We have a daughter even though brought up with this hasn’t seen it yet. The Lord in His own timing can do it. Thanks for sharing this. Have a great day!!

5. katebortell

May 20, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I found my way back to this post tonight because the other day when I read it I knew it was important and special. There are so many ways that we turn away from Him and yet when we return we are so welcomed. Amen Levi. This is beautiful.

May 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I agree Kate. Thanks so much for commenting. He is always there with open arms! Hope all is well.

6. Anna Waldherr

July 5, 2015 at 3:40 pm

This is a beautiful message for those of us who wrestle with regrets.

July 5, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Hello Anna. It’s a great message because all of us have regrets and wasted time in our lives. Isn’t God’s grace wonderful? Hope you’re doing well. I only arrived back in NY 3 hours ago from London. Great to be in the States again!!!