A Follow-Up On One Second Is All It Takes !!!!!!

22 May
A Follow-Up On One Second Is All It Takes !!!!!!

I would like to give an update on Levi II’s condition. First, I want to thank so many of you that have prayed for him and his family during this trying time. For those not familiar, I have the incident below.

Tuesday night we did FaceTime with Levi and Amy. Earlier in the day the doctor had removed the 8 pins that were holding the 3 fingers together. Amy actually videoed the whole procedure and we were able to view it. Isn’t technology wonderful?? It was somewhat painful to watch though.

The prognosis wasn’t the best news, but not the worst. The bone in the middle and index fingers didn’t grow back together as hoped for. At present, they will not do anything further for awhile. In a few months a plate will probably be placed on the middle finger ( the one cut off ), and a knuckle replacement on the index finger. There is a real possibility that these fingers won’t really work in the future, but at least he will have the fingers there. A piece is being made for these two that somehow will allow Levi to learn to use the two remaining fingers and thumb. He is still in great spirits and has been working everyday for a few weeks now. God has been good.

Thank you so much again for your prayers and thoughts. It really has meant a lot.

Below is the original post explanation of the incident.

I was in the cell phone office yesterday when I received a call from my daughter-in-law Amy from Oregon. She has a soft voice and at first I didn’t detect a problem; but immediately after the first words I knew something was wrong.

Amy and Levi, my son, are building a new home on some land. They had purchased part of a 100+ year old barn for the wood and had it milled to use for flooring in their new home. Levi was cutting a piece of wood when his hand accidentally hit the table saw blade and cut off his middle finger, and brutally damaged his index finger and thumb.

He cried out for Amy and she got him into the car after picking up the remains of his cutoff finger. There was a fire department about 5 miles away and she pulled in since they were miles from a hospital. They were speedy about calling an ambulance and within minutes he was in the best hospital in Oregon for orthopedics. It proved for certain that The Lord directed Amy there unbeknownst to her at the time.

She was in tears as she told me what had happened. Her voice was quivering, understandably. He was on his way into surgery. She said he was joking about it to hospital staff just as I did last year when a similar, but lesser accident happened to me with a table saw. Maybe he an I should retire from table saws. No, we will respect them more!!!

She called an hour or so later and reported that he was in surgery and would be for 11-12 hours to reattach his finger. In the early morning this morning she called and reported that all was in place; and that we will all know within five days if it will take and be a fairly normal finger. It’s a 50/50 surgery. We’re praying that The Lord will heal it. He is in the ICU now and will be in the hospital for 5-7 days.

One instant all is well and the next instant he is missing a finger. When talking to him today he told me that it will only be missing awhile if it doesn’t take. He said ” when I get to Heaven I’ll get a perfect one back”. I smiled and said that’s right son. And he is right. I just wrote of Heaven the other day on this blog. I wrote of the future “ages” before us. But during these ages we will be in perfect bodies. Because of living in a sinful world we will always have incidence come up like this, but these are only temporary setbacks. We again will be perfect in our bodies one day soon.

I just received another call from Amy about an hour ago (the next day). Levi went into surgery for 5 hours today to try to repair his index finger and thumb. The surgeon said that he thought that his left hand would more than likely be a “helper hand”. Both were very “mangled”. Please pray for my son, Levi II and family during this time. They would be very much appreciated.

Posted by on May 22, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

126 responses to “A Follow-Up On One Second Is All It Takes !!!!!!

1. Little Monk

April 3, 2014 at 5:25 am

Thank you for sharing. I thank God for the witness of so marvelous a son (in-law) and the faith of so clearly grace-filled a family. I pray for him, and for all of you. And I thank you all for lifting up the love of Christ so clearly for me today.

Grace to you — LM

April 3, 2014 at 6:33 am

Thank you Little Monk. He is my son. Your prayers are coveted.

• Little Monk

April 3, 2014 at 6:41 am

Ah, thank you for the correction. May that peace that surpasses all understanding, and his good humor, persist throughout these days! Grace — LM

April 3, 2014 at 6:44 am

No problem and thanks again. He is so active like I am that I think after it sets in he will probably really need that special grace. Thanks so much!!!

2. Little Monk

April 3, 2014 at 5:27 am

Reblogged this on The Postmodern Mystic and commented:

These moments, these glimpses of grace, so humble and amaze me. I could not keep this just to myself to treasure it. Enjoy this pearl, Gentle Reader.

3. katebortell

April 3, 2014 at 5:30 am

Prayers, prayers and more prayers Levi. And yes, your son will be made new someday. What a wonderful spirit he has!!

April 3, 2014 at 6:31 am

Thanks Kate for the many prayers. He does know where his hope lies. That’s the great consolation in it. Have a wonderful day!!!

April 3, 2014 at 5:58 am

Connected and reaching out.

5. A Servant

April 3, 2014 at 9:27 am

Wow, sorry for your news. I certainly hope all goes well. I am sure you were proud of his outlook, it is a true statement, but we are still on the old man nature side of eternity.

April 3, 2014 at 10:09 am

Hey thanks Dennis. He was taking it good before this last surgery. I have talked to him since. There’s a big time difference and recovery so I’m waiting this morning. He’s a very active man so it may be a big blow to him. Thanks for the prayers.

6. Michael

April 3, 2014 at 9:28 am

Already praying, Levi. My faith has been greatly encouraged since seeing God do something pretty amazing for another blogger’s family member recently. God will do it for Levi, too.

April 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thanks so much Michael. He is able!! I appreciate you!!!

7. bornagainjen

April 3, 2014 at 9:54 am

On my knees last night I wept and thanked the Lord for His healing. I realized that ALL healing is from God. The view is not to look at all the times God doesn’t heal, but all the times He does, for each and every time someone gets better is by the work of God. There are too many ailments and injuries healed in this world for us to count and all are a gift from God and His amazing Grace.

God’s choice to heal your son or not is a mystery too great for us to understand, but it sounds as if He is definitely working inside your son, and in you. I pray for His healing to extend and continue to your family. There is an absolute Grace to be found in this situation – whether the finger stays or goes. I sense your family covered in blessing. Praise the Lord for His healing and grace and the very best to all of you.

I will definitely pray for your son.

April 3, 2014 at 10:38 am

Thank you very much for the kind words. It is entirely in The Lord’s hands and in His infinite wisdom as to the outcome. Whatever the situation it will be to His glory. Thanks for the follow as well. I hope your day is blessed!!!!

8. Dan Ledwith

April 3, 2014 at 10:23 am

I will be praying.

April 3, 2014 at 10:47 am

Thank you so much Dan. This means a lot. Have a great day!!!

9. Family to the 5 Power!

April 3, 2014 at 11:18 am

How blessed you are to have a faith-filled son! I have already prayed for him, Amy, and your family (and will again). Elena

April 3, 2014 at 11:35 am

Thanks so much Elena. I just got off the phone with Amy and she said he is still up about it after hearing the news last night. Praise The Lord for that. Thanks for your prayers and good words. It means a lot!!!!

10. Art Mowle

April 3, 2014 at 11:21 am

Many many prayers for your son Levi. May he be healed, best as possible, and thank you God for the many dedicated hospital staff and doctors taking care of him.

Art

April 3, 2014 at 11:32 am

He has great care. He is at the Oregon University Hospital which has the best orthopedic care in the state I’m told. Thanks for the prayers!!!

11. Svelte

April 3, 2014 at 11:46 am

His spirit and faith are intact! I’ll keep them all in my thoughts and prayers. – Jen 🙂

April 3, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thanks Jen. He’s all intact. I appreciate it very much!!!!

12. JF

April 3, 2014 at 12:36 pm

We pray for your son and the whole family! Best for all of you!

13. rachelcarrera

April 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

You have my prayers! That is a very scary story. I hope it all works out and he gets to keep and use all his fingers and hands. 🙂

14. Petra

April 3, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Just said a prayer for your son and family, all the while thanking God for his wonderful spirit and faith. Your son is so right. God always heals, just not always the way we picture it… and not always on this side of heaven. How amazing is God that we would have doctors and wisdom as wonderful as to sew finger back on. Mind-blowing. So is our God! May God bless your son to be fruitful in every good work, ever increasing in the wondrous knowledge of Him who made fingers and toes and so much more.

April 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Such a refreshing comment young lady. Your prayers are coveted. We are leaving to be with him. I appreciate you Petra!!!!

15. vwoods1212

April 3, 2014 at 9:38 pm

May God guide you as you be father, supporter et al. Angels have been dispatched. Blessings and healing to your family.vw

April 4, 2014 at 3:47 am

Praying for your son!

17. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

April 4, 2014 at 4:19 am

Praying for your son and daughter-in-law, Levi. I am so sorry for this news. Somehow, the Lord can use even things such as this for good. I have faith that you will be reporting stories of His goodness within this event to us at some point. Already, knowing how much worse it could have been and that your son was able to be joking with the staff are two. I will continue in prayer, Levi.

April 4, 2014 at 6:52 am

This is all true. Thanks for your prayers Skye so much!!!

18. Debb Stanton

April 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Hello Levi and family, my hubby and I are praying for Levi Jr. and pray that his hands will both be in working condition soon. Please pass our blessings on to them. We’ll continue to pray.

April 6, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Debb. Thank you and your husband very much. We are with Levi and family now in Oregon. God’s people have been most responsive. Thanks again Debb!!!

19. Debb Stanton

April 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Reblogged this on STANTON SUNSHINE and commented:

Please pray, folks! Thank you.

20. Lyn

April 6, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Praying for complete recovery.

21. jovisgoes

April 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm

My thoughts are with you all Levi.

22. Scott

April 7, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Very touching. It brought into focus when I ran a thumb into jointer and stalled the motor. Fortunately, a fine surgeon make things right and 35 years later it still works. I’m sure your son will enjoy the same success.

April 7, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. I think he will as well. Thanks so much!!!!

23. ljlenehan

April 7, 2014 at 6:45 pm

What a lovely attitude your son has… I will pray that he heals well and gets strength in his hand…

April 7, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Thank you very much. He is strong in body soul and spirit. The Lord will get him through this no doubt. Thanks so much for your kind words!!

24. dweezer19

April 7, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I am sending loving healing thoughts for you and for your son and his family. Bless him.

25. InfiniteZip

April 7, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Coming your way my friend, hope and healing from miles away, on wind to travel, to be whole again:) blessings

26. laurieanichols

April 7, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Thanks for the follow! I am sending positive energy to your son and to your family. What a difference a few seconds can make is so true. I am so sorry that in this instance those seconds led to something so scary. Best wishes.

27. KingPen

April 8, 2014 at 11:58 am

My prayers go up to the Author of Life and the source of immeasurable healing power, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. May His peace, comfort, and potent faith continue to surround your family during this time. I expect the best results! Be well.

28. birdieklh

April 10, 2014 at 8:32 am

It is truly amazing how quickly lives circumstances can come and change lives forever. My own daughter’s SIDS (interrupted, praise God) episode was one of those things. We have the story of our family told in sections that begin with “before Mariah” and “after Mariah”. God’s blessings come in all shapes and sizes., Some can be full bodies, some can be limbs, some can be appendages. He uses things that happen to bring us clearer understanding of how very much we need to trust in Him for ALL things. Give Him glory IN all things, and to KNOW that He truly does work out all things to the good for those that love Him and are called according to His purposes.

Bless you my brother. Prayers surround you, your son, and the family.

April 10, 2014 at 8:37 am

Great words. Thank you so much! All praise and glory is due Him for certain!!!

29. jssolom

April 10, 2014 at 10:19 am

Brother Levi, The Lord has just introduced us, but your comments and testimony are rich, and they have blessed me today. It is so good to know that God is in control even when we are not. Grace to you and your son. Jason

April 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

Jason, it’s my pleasure to meet you!! I’m glad you have been blessed. Let’s bless each other. My complete confidence is that He is in full control and that His grace is never ending. What comfort!!! Have a great day. Levi

30. Drgold

April 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Prayers & blessings for Levi. God is in charge & ‘is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us’ Ep3:20. It has already been a week, & I know that the Lord has moved mightily in Levi’s behalf! God’s blessing to you & all yours!

Thank you for following my blog! Aloha & Agape,

~Drgold http://drgoldsite.wordpress.com

April 10, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Dr Gold. The Lord is our comfort and has worked in Levis life. Thanks again!!!

31. Lele Riggins

April 10, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Praying!!

32. NikkiJR

April 12, 2014 at 9:14 pm

You have my prayers. 🙂

April 13, 2014 at 9:42 am

Thank you so much. It means a lot. Blessings to you!!!!

33. amngilbert

April 13, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for coming by my blog. I am sorry to hear about your son’s hand but glad to hear about his attitude. That is a gift from God and must be such a blessing to you. How is he doing?

April 13, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Hello and thanks for your concern. We just returned home from Oregon last night. He is regaining his strength day by day. His attitude is still great. There will be a pretty long road ahead for him but thank The Lord it wasn’t even worse. I appreciate you checking. Thanks!!!! Levi

• amngilbert

April 13, 2014 at 8:57 pm

God is gracious and good. I’m glad to hear he is recuperating.

April 13, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Thanks so much. God is gracious and good to us certainly. With Him we would have no hope.

34. Chuck Douros - Principal Writer for Runwritedig

April 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm

This is the business I am in. I am in Health & Safety for processing and manufacturing plants; I see these injuries all too often. At work, I’m unable to bring faith into play, but I have seen some great miracles, both uncomplicated miracles where amazing things happen in the most extra ordinary ways, and too, miracles facilitated by amazing surgical advances. People do what they intend to do, moments before they are injured (shortcuts, carelessness, neglect, inattention), they just don’t intend for it to turn into tragedy. And truer words have never been spoken, “it only takes a second.”

April 15, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Hello Chuck. Levi was taken to the best orthopedic hospital in Oregon from the start. They seemed confident that he would be in pretty good shape after it is all finished up. I’m sure it will all work out to the glory of God. His spirits are good which is great. Like you say it was just in attentiveness that got him. I appreciate your great words. Thanks a lot:)

35. lalaland

April 16, 2014 at 12:32 pm

do hope the fingers are all attached and working beautifully

April 16, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Thanks so much for the concern. They are all attached. We found out just yesterday that he will have 3 more surgeries at least in the future. One a knuckle replacement. We are praying that they will ultimately work well. Thanks again!!!

36. DRS

May 4, 2014 at 8:17 am

Levi II is a living testimony. What a pure hope! According to Romans 5:5 the love and faith he is
    having for our Lord will not put him to shame. He will be having his fingers as normal as it was to bring glory to Jesus. May God use you and your family for spreading the hope about eternal life.

May 4, 2014 at 8:30 am

Thanks for the kind words and that is our goal to be used by God for His glory. Have a blessed day my friend!!!

37. jamaicanbeauty

May 4, 2014 at 8:48 pm

May God bless you all. This journey in life has its ups and downs but it takes faith and the almighty to bring us through and you all seem to be on the right path and thank you very much for following me. I’m still learning how to maneuver WordPress.

May 4, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I’m no pro myself on WP. It’s my pleasure to follow you. Let’s bless each other!!! Thanks:))

38. Denise DeMarco

May 15, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Praying for Levi as he recovers from this accident. May all of you continue to keep your eyes on the One True Healer!

May 15, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Thank you so much Denise. Levi II is doing well thanks to The Lord. It is healing well and looking much better. He has 2-3 future surgeries ahead but his spirits are good and He is praising God for His kindness. Thanks so much!!!

39. katebortell

May 22, 2014 at 5:16 am

Continued prayers for Levi and his family. Hes a very brave man. God Bless.

40. Risty

May 22, 2014 at 5:23 am

A great son will get a great things. Pray for your son healing, God blessed him and your family. Amen

41. Rob Barkman

May 22, 2014 at 6:55 am

Will be continuing to pray for your son. May the Lord grace him with healing and a closer walk with Him through it all.

42. johnmarkmiller

May 22, 2014 at 8:23 am

Wow – I’ll surely be praying! As a pianist, just thinking about losing a finger makes me cringe – will be praying for those doctors as they operate!

43. wingedprisms

May 22, 2014 at 8:25 am

Many prayers going for your son and his lovely wife Amy.

44. scythewieldor

May 22, 2014 at 8:42 am

My heart is filled with an inexpressible desire to comfort and strengthen Levi II. Of course, I’ll pray.

45. Sheila

May 22, 2014 at 10:22 am

Glad to know he’s well. Isn’t it wonderful what they can do these days?!

May 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

Good day Sheila, yes it is wonderful what can be done. If all of the knowledge were used for good it would be a whole different world. Yet, we know this isn’t possible since the fall. Hope all is well.

46. Kelly Grace

May 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

I’m sorry the results aren’t what we’d hoped for, but God is generous with His grace. Keeping them in our prayers.

47. Cate Pane: The Clear Parent

May 22, 2014 at 10:58 am

Will pray! Take care, Cate

48. "light and salt"

May 22, 2014 at 11:32 am

My goodness, Levi, I missed this story altogether! What a frightening ordeal…Hope all will be better for Levi and his wife very soon. I know you will do this, but keep the faith and pray, pray, pray!

I will keep you all in my thoughts as well…

Steve

May 22, 2014 at 11:38 am

We are Steve, thanks for yours.

• "light and salt"

May 22, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Keep us posted on the situation! There is a reason for this as you know, Levi.

All things work together for good to those who love the Lord…

Steve

May 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Thanks and will do. Have a good one Steve!!

• "light and salt"

May 25, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Happy Memorial Day, Levi…

Steve

49. Aurora

May 22, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I’m so sorry. I will add your son to my prayers.

50. atimetoshare

May 22, 2014 at 1:53 pm

This humbles me after spending the morning going through a blasting of a kidney stone. I will pray for Levi II and your family.

May 22, 2014 at 1:58 pm

You’re so kind and I’ll pray for you as well. Feel better!!!

51. kcg1974

May 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Prayers to Levi together with his entire family. God will see them through his healing with blessings beyond imagination.

May 22, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Thanks Kim. The Lord has been faithful and Levi is in the best of spirits. It really is The Lord because he never got down. Thanks for the kindness. Hope all is well with you!!

• kcg1974

May 22, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Yes, my dear father is visiting from Arizona. So, just now, I learned of Levi’s accident. Please send my love and prayers to him.

52. vwoods1212

May 22, 2014 at 7:30 pm

To God be the glory. vw

53. http://theenglishprofessoratlarge.com

May 27, 2014 at 3:00 pm

So sorry to hear about this. I will pray for a successful healing.I hope it travels from my lips to God’s ear.

May 27, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for the prayers which I’m certain God hears. You are so kind! Lord bless you!!

54. Garden Walk Garden Talk

November 2, 2014 at 10:57 am

I too am very sorry to hear about this accident. When in college, I was the teacher responsible for our design class and a similar thing occurred to a student with the table saw. I saw first hand the damage and quick thinking is in order at a time like this. Medicine really is amazing what can be done. I wish him the best and will keep him in my prayers for his fingers’ use in the future. Prayers for his family too.

55. Levi Thetford

November 2, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Thank you, Donna. He still can’t use the fingers. There will be a knuckle replacement at some point that hopefully will help regain some of the use. Thank you!!

56. lOUISE gIBSON

December 4, 2014 at 2:01 pm

LEVI, MY HEAR5T HAS BEEN WARME3D BY YOUR LOVING CONCERN FOR YOUR SON AND UNDYING FAITH IN OUR GREAT GOD AND SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST..I PRAY FOR A FULL RECOVERY IN THE USE OF YOUR SON’S HAND.

December 4, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Thank you, Louise. I appreciate the kind words. Our son is doing well for the situation. Lord bless you!