The Difference Between God’s Providence and Fate !!!!!!

23 May

I hope that you will all excuse me, but I was not able to finish with my continuation of our early ministry for today. Some things have come up that prevented me from completing it. Lord willing, I will continue with it next Friday. In its place I think Spurgeon’s defense between providence and fate is great. I hope you enjoy it.

This is what Charles Spurgeon, the London pastor from over 100 years ago said about the sovereignty and providence of God.

“I believe that every particle of dust that dances in the sunbeam does not move an atom more or less than God wishes – that every particle of spray that dashes against the steamboat has its orbit, as well as the sun in the heavens – that the chaff from the hand of the winnower is steered as the stars in their courses. The creeping of an aphid over the rosebud is as much fixed as the march of the devastating pestilence – the fall of . . . leaves from a poplar is as fully ordained as the tumbling of an avalanche.”

When Spurgeon was challenged that this is nothing but fatalism and stoicism, he replied,

“What is fate? Fate is this – Whatever is, must be. But there is a difference between that and Providence. Providence says, Whatever God ordains, must be; but the wisdom of God never ordains anything without a purpose. Everything in this world is working for some great end. Fate does not say that. . . . There is all the difference between fate and Providence that there is between a man with good eyes and a blind man.”

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

21 responses to “The Difference Between God’s Providence and Fate !!!!!!

1. atimetoshare

May 23, 2014 at 6:16 am

Hope all is well, Levi!

May 23, 2014 at 6:25 am

Good morning. Thanks for asking. Every thing is fine here this morning. I hope it is with you too. I pray your day will be blessed!!!

• atimetoshare

May 23, 2014 at 6:37 am

Blessings to you too!

2. Levi Thetford

May 23, 2014 at 6:23 am

Good morning, thanks for your prayers. Every thing is smooth here this morning. I trust with you as well!! Have a blessed day Dear girl:)

3. Elizabeth Melton Parsons

May 23, 2014 at 7:46 am

Good morning, Levi. Hope your day is a peaceful one. 🙂 I don’t think I agree with Spurgeon. You know the “time and circumstance” thing, not to mention the “free will” thing”. So no, I can’t agree with his thinking.

May 23, 2014 at 8:53 am

Good morning Elizabeth, so far my day is pleasant. I hope yours is as well. Spurgeon believed in foreordination and that at the Fall of Adam man’s free will was bent one way only, towards sin; and the good that man accomplishes are by God’s common grace to all men. Hope this helps understand his thinking. Have a great, hopefully long weekend!!!😀

4. Cate Pane: The Clear Parent

May 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

This is so very painful to me as it is hard to believe that God has taken my family down such a painful road. I can’t discern Providence vs. a fallen world. We will suffer in this world. He tells us that and we know this isn’t Heaven. So, when a child is diagnosed with cancer, it is God’s Providence? All I know is that He is carrying us through a very difficult season.

May 23, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Cate, this is not on here to be disturbing but a comfort. All of the difficulties and illnesses and problems The Lord God didn’t cause them to happen to us. We have them because of the Fall of Adam. And because of this all creation endures it’s effects. And we know how much He loved us by sending Jesus, who also suffered and endured every effect from Adams sin to be our substitute. Because He is God and all-powerful over all He can change sins effect on humanity by trusting in Him. Without that we would have no hope. So, God is not to be blamed but Adam and his posterity, which is us. Hope this helps,

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent

May 25, 2014 at 8:47 am

Thank you so much for your response, Levi. “I believe that every particle of dust that dances in the sunbeam does not move an atom more or less than God wishes…” So, ALL is ordained by God? I am still confused. I was taught to thank God in all circumstances, so that we may invite Him in to make “all things good.” 6 college students were shot by a violent, mentally disturbed 22 year-old in our college community on Friday night. Was that God’s Providence? Did God’s wisdom ordain this with a purpose? Please forgive me, I am in the thick of a very challenging time and am so confused. Maybe I need to stop trying to figure all of this out and just trust.

May 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

Cate, I believe as you read scripture you will find few pages that don’t speak of the sovereignty of God. He is in complete control of all things. Satan does nothing but what he is allowed to by God. Job is the perfect illustration of this. I suggest you read it. We know that God knows the very second each person will die. Did he do the killing. No, we die because we are sinners and are born that way. The fall of Adam had this effect and this world is evil; but God can overcome Satan at any point in our lives. If God is not sovereign then He is in Heaven twiddling his fingers saying ” I hope this and that happens”. No, this isn’t an all powerful all knowing God. He knows the beginning to the end. He has a plan which is the glory of God in every circumstance of our lives. Trust in Him with all of your heart Cane that everything is working for good to those that love Him. He never lets you down. I have difficulties to big for me to handle as well. But God handles them in His time and in His way. Just trust Him. I’m praying for you. If you need anything just holler.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent

May 25, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond to me. My favorite verse has always been Romans 8:28. I trust that someday I will look back on these dark days and see His good works. Have a blessed day! Cate P.S. Please pray for my son who is extremely ill. Thank you.

May 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Cate, thanks for sharing this with me. I will indeed be praying for your son and your entire family. I have been in your same place before more than once. In fact, right now I have a grown daughter who is on drugs. We have done all we can do and have left it entirely with The Lord. I don’t know what the outcome may be, but He only can restore her. Praying for you Brother!!!

5. Rob Barkman

May 23, 2014 at 3:12 pm

All I can say is AMEN…this is one of the best descriptions of His providence in comparison to fate that I have ever read. Thanks!

May 23, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Isn’t it great!! It’s hard to beat Spurgeon in my opinion. Some are taking it wrong and I expected this to happen.

• Rob Barkman

May 23, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Anytime you present truth, it is bound to be misunderstood by some. Christ suffered the same misunderstandings in His time. No reason to expect it to be any different now. Such is life in a fallen world. Keep presenting the truth just as you are my brother. Lord bless you.

May 23, 2014 at 3:37 pm

It will have no effect on my message for sure. Maybe The Lord will open their hearts to the truth. Total depravity and it’s effects are always the problem it seems.

May 24, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Good post. I think it is unfortunate that so many attacks on Calvinism/Predestination is really an attack on Fatalism (impersonal determinism). The two are different.

May 24, 2014 at 6:43 pm

They sure are different. We are still a real minority I’m afraid

7. Anna Waldherr

June 4, 2017 at 2:26 pm

A fierce and beautiful sentiment. Typical of Spurgeon. 🙂 Hope you are well, Levi!

June 4, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Yes, it is, Anna. I’m doing very well. Thanks for asking. How are you?