A Saturday of Memories !!!!!!

25 May

Yesterday, Linda, my wife, prepared the bouquets for me to decorate some of my loved ones graves today (Saturday). I like to do it before Memorial Day to beat the crowd. The ones I decorated today are at 2 different cemeteries from the one we will attend on Monday. They are all within 10 miles of each other.

I pulled up first to row 8 of the Collinsville cemetery, about smack dab in the middle of the row. There my sweet Dad’s body lies, or at least the remains of his earthly physical body. Dad was born in the middle of a cotton field outside McGregor, Tx. He loved yellow roses so that is what we still give him. I know I’m not really giving them to him, but to the rememberance of him. My Dad is in Heaven and I shall see him again one day. Dad suffered from the effects of throat cancer for 23 years before he died. Lung cancer is what finally killed him. He never stopped really living until the end. I still think of him often. Actually, not many days pass by that I don’t think of him, or something about him. He had such a great influence in my life, one way or another, and I loved him, and still do. I miss you Dad!

dads grave

On the grave next to my Dad’s I placed a bouquet on my grandmother’s. All grandchildren called her Mammaw. I have so many fond memories of her. Being the first grandchild she always spoiled me to pieces. She is probably from whom my dad, and myself, received this trait of spoiling people. I have mentioned about her in a post or two before. She is the one that taught me how to drive at a very young age (9), among many other things. She was born at the Mound, Tx. One of 11 or 12 children to a dirt farmer where she had a very tough start in life. She was of tough stock and did well as time marched on, Mammaw outlived 2 of her 3 boys at age 97. She had placed her trust in Jesus Christ many years ago and was a real Sweetheart, and I loved, and still love her. One day I will see her again in Heaven. I miss you Mammaw!

mammaws grave

I then drove a few miles over to the Green Acres Cemetery. Right at the very front of the cemetery lie the remains of my grandpa Homer, my Dad’s father. His bouquet is not near as pretty ( the earth toned ones ) to me as the others, but very manly. The colors fit him and that’s why they were chosen. Grandpa was also a Texan, born in Purmela. I remember taking him down there not long before he died. He showed us the old home place where he had lived over 80 years before. He was the oldest of several children. He was raised by an aunt and uncle along with all of his brothers and sisters. I think there were 11 of them. He had a rough start to life like so many in those days but he made the best of it. He was a restaurant owner and cattleman himself. He was a hard worker and didn’t quit until he was forced to by old age. Many years before he gave testimony of The Lord saving him. I loved grandpa, and still do. One day I will see you again in Heaven. I miss you Grandpa!

grandpas grave

On Monday, we will decorate the graves of my wife’s family and attend the VFW ceremony for our fallen soldiers and military, both past and present. Memorial Day to me is a special event of memories. As I write this, to be honest, I have some tears in my eyes with thoughts of by-gone days. These aren’t tears of sadness, but of good thoughts. I can see their faces as I am writing of them. Special people, whose lives by the providence of God were woven into my life. A part of their lives is some of who I am. Of course there are others which I have very special memories not mentioned, but loved just as much.

I feel so blessed by these memories today, and there are many more yet to be made with people whose lives we are intertwined today. May The Lord give you great memories of the past, and for building wonderful ones in the future. Won’t Heaven be a wonderful, great, fantastic reunion? BLESSED MEMORIAL DAY TO YOU ALL !!!

I will not be posting on birds Monday, but will post it Tuesday instead.

Until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on May 25, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 responses to “A Saturday of Memories !!!!!!

1. mtsweat

May 25, 2014 at 5:52 am

Have a blessed Sunday in Christ good friend and Memorial Day. Thanks for sharing your compassiion to remember those who have gone on ahead and those who were courageous to defend our nation. Praise the Lord… we have a blessed hope! Yes, we will see them again. O Glorious Day!

May 25, 2014 at 6:01 am

Thanks so much. Our future is very Bright to say the least. May your day be blessed as well. Thanks for the encouragement!!

May 25, 2014 at 6:36 am

Thank you Levi for sharing your love and memories. Have a blessed Memorial Day.

May 25, 2014 at 6:43 am

Good morning Sue. How are you? I enjoyed sharing it. I hope your Memorial Day is a good one as well. Lord bless you!!!

• Sue C.

May 25, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi Levi: I am having a very blessed holiday. My grand daughter, whom I’ve had no contact with for 14 years, is here visiting me. I am truly blessed. God is good! 🙂

May 25, 2014 at 10:57 am

So good to hear. Enjoy the time. 14 years is a long time. God is indeed good!!😀😀

3. Michael

May 25, 2014 at 6:53 am

What a beautiful and rich tribute, Levi. Relationship outlasts everything. Thanks for sharing and I know you’ll enjoy a meaningful holiday.

May 25, 2014 at 6:56 am

Oh, thanks Michael. Relationships are very high priority. Stay safe in your travels and enjoy the holiday as well. I appreciate you Brother!!!

4. Nate

May 25, 2014 at 7:32 am

I love the ideas in that last paragraph. Great memories. Heavenly reuinons, building memories now.
    Thanks Levi.

May 25, 2014 at 7:33 am

Thank you my Brother. I think that it is important. Very much so. Have a great day!!!

5. Mark Myers

May 25, 2014 at 8:10 am

What a legacy and a wonderful tradition. We don’t live where we have generational history like that or I would follow your example.

May 25, 2014 at 8:12 am

Rural small town traditions are still alive and I really look forward to them each year. I’m sure you would fit right in. Have a great day Brother!!!

May 25, 2014 at 8:31 am

What a lovely story of tradition and remembrance! All of my family is buried back east so I can’t do that, but I remember my aunt always doing that when she was alive. Have a lovely weekend Levi!

May 25, 2014 at 8:33 am

It really is something I look forward to each year. I know times are different and distances are a huge problem. Thanks Elaine. I hope you have a pleasant weekend as well. :))

7. Stacy Tolbert

May 25, 2014 at 10:16 am

Great post Levi, I see you spend this Holiday similarly to the way I spend it. I too visit the memories and the graves of my father, grandparents and many other loved ones that has gone on to be with our Lord. Blessings to you and yours brother.

LOVE, GRACE, PEACE

May 25, 2014 at 10:19 am

I’m glad you’re still able to do this. I think it’s great. I appreciate you Stacy!! Have a great one.

8. carissamaria

May 25, 2014 at 11:00 am

Such an beautiful and meaningful tribute for the loved ones who are now in Heaven…today is a day of love and sweet memories for me too.
    Thank you for the amazing light you’re bringing to the world by your writings. I also wanted to let you know that i added the widget to follow by email, at your suggestion. It means a lot to me knowing that you’re reading my posts.
    Have a blessed Sunday!
    Carissa

9. james1948

May 25, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Very moving tribute. Thank you.

May 25, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thanks so much. Hope you M-I-L is getting better and you and wife are doing well. Enjoy you day!!

10. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

May 26, 2014 at 5:30 am

An absolutely beautiful tribute from a beautiful soul. Thank you, Dear Levi, for sharing your heart with us. I thank them for the parts they played in shaping you into the man you are today ~ A true blessing.

May 26, 2014 at 8:15 am

Thank you Skye. Praise The Lord I received 3.5 inches of rain over night. So thankful. My bird blog will be tomorrow. I liked doing it. Have a great day Dear Skye:)😀

11. kstrick7

May 26, 2014 at 8:08 am

Such a beautiful post dedicated to the ones you love! God bless you and Happy Memorial Day!

May 26, 2014 at 8:11 am

Thanks so much. May your Memorial Day be blessed as well. Thanks for reading and encouraging!!!

12. beverley

May 26, 2014 at 11:24 am

It took my sister and i 25 years to locate the grave of my Great Grandmother Sarah, partly because the information my mother had on her was 10 out and full of holes. But in the end she her body is laid to rest less than a mile from my house. It was a very cold and wet January when i finally found her headstone and her grave, which is only did because that little voice said as clearly has she had been stood next to me go up the other side. You see her headstone had fallen over at some point and the had been stood up backwards leaning against a very skinny tree, growing in the wrong place. Born in 1877 and dying in 1965 i don’t remember meeting her, although my mother says she thinks i did, but who knows. I too cannot wait to meet her in heaven again, i never met her here but feel like i know her anyway. When i laid my hand on the headstone i just stood and wept – finally!

May 26, 2014 at 11:32 am

That is a precious story. I’m so glad you were able to find it. What a memory and so close to your home. Thanks for sharing!!!

May 26, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for sharing this; Memorial Day tend to be a bit sad and meaningful at the same time for me

May 27, 2014 at 4:39 am

It has a tinge of sadness for me because of missing the people but hope because I will one day see them again for the believers.