As The Life – So The Fruit !!!!!!

27 May
As The Life – So The Fruit !!!!!!

For if these thing be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:8)

If we desire to glorify our Lord by fruitfulness, we must have certain things within us; for nothing can come out of us which is not first of all within us. We must begin with faith, which is the groundwork of all the virtues; and then diligently add to it virtue, knowledge, temperance, and patience. With these we must have godliness and brotherly love. All these put together will most assuredly cause us to produce, as our life fruit, the clusters of usefulness, and we shall not be mere idle knowers but real doers of the Word. These holy things must not only be in us, but abound, or we shall be barren. Fruit is the overflow of life, and we must be full before we can flow over.

We have noticed men of considerable parts and opportunities who have never succeeded in doing real good in the conversion of souls; and after close observation we have concluded that they lacked certain graces which are absolutely essential to fruit bearing. For real usefulness, graces are better than gifts. As the man is, so is his work. If we would do better, we must be better. Let the text be a gentle hint to unfruitful professors and to myself also.

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 responses to “As The Life – So The Fruit !!!!!!

1. Ron Whited

May 27, 2014 at 5:15 am

“If we would DO better we must BE better”.
    Guilty as charged! I appreciate these posts Levi as they cause me to take a serious inward look at my life. When I see things that aren’t as they should be the Holy Spirit prompts me to do whatever it takes to be better .
    Be blessed,
    Ron

May 27, 2014 at 5:22 am

Ron, I’m glad The Lord is using the posts. Most are guilty as charged including me. Have a great and blessed week.

May 27, 2014 at 5:58 am

Love that last paragraph – and so much the last line. Beautiful!!

May 27, 2014 at 5:59 am

You English guys just have that knack. Wished I had it.

• paulfg

May 27, 2014 at 6:07 am

You have!! 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 6:12 am

Thanks for trying to flatter but I don’t have the kings English down like you and Spurgeon. I love it. Have a great day😀

3. JennG

May 27, 2014 at 8:51 am

This post made me reflect on my past job as a Dorm Director for a Christian high school…I can only pray that I was example enough for those kids to know who Christ was in my life…and now with my own kids, this brings a new challenge….thanks for sharing this today! Have a blessed day!

May 27, 2014 at 9:49 am

I imagine you are a great example to your children Jenn. As you say, if not a new challenge. Do good my girl!!😀

4. Debbie

May 27, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I think about fruitfulness and wonder if I am bearing any, so thank you for this encouragement! God bless you!

May 27, 2014 at 8:51 pm

You are bearing fruit everyday my dear. You are a true light to the glory of Jesus Christ. No question about it. Continue in your efforts!! 😀

May 27, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I’m not trying to get you to read another of my post but read my sparrow post from today if you can.

• Debbie

May 27, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I just read it, Levi! Haha! Thank you for the wonderful encouraging combo today! 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 9:06 pm

You are a gem. Don’t be discouraged because we have true value because of Christ only, as you know well. You really are a shining light for Him!!!!

May 28, 2014 at 3:20 am

May we bear fruit that is pleasing to Him