Lessons From the Sparrow: Self-Esteem

27 May
Lessons From the Sparrow: Self-Esteem

I was sitting in my study at 5:15 this morning and the silence was golden. I’m not sure what time it was when I heard the first break of the silence but it was the beautiful sound of a bob white quail. Their call is so unique because you can hear the “bob whiiiite” so clearly. I looked out my study window and there it was. I walked to open the back door onto the patio, and out flew the swallow that I’ve allowed ( if you can’t beat them join them ) to nest on the patio support beam for the past 2 years. Out from the patio I saw purple martens, bluebirds, quail, robins, scissor-tail flycatchers, and several other species of birds flying from tree to tree. But the bird I always see the most of are sparrows. Sparrows surpass all other birds. So today I have chosen to learn from the lowly sparrow.

sparrow

I pondered of what I knew of the sparrow and then looked up what I could about the despised bird. Even bird-watchers wonder why The Lord God created them. The U.S. imported the bird in 1850 from Europe in hopes of them eradicating a plague from tree stripping caterpillars. They are the most common and geographically dispersed of all birds. Many birds have beautiful songs and tunes, while the pesky sparrow just chirps. The sparrow multiplies prolifically and are known to damage crops of grain. They are very adaptable eating almost anything, if need be, and they will nest about any place they can find a hole or crack.

Yet, this is the bird that Jesus speaks of in His teaching in Luke 12:6-7:

“Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows”.

Jesus chose the most insignificant little bird and said that we are of more value than them. Thanks, Lord! That really makes me feel good. You can buy 2 sparrows for a penny, or get a discount deal on 5 for two cents. So I’m worth at least 3 cents. Wow!! What worth I have?

One of the terms we hear so often is self-esteem. Everybody has dealt with it in one form or another. Some have an inflated self-esteem while others have a terrible inferiority. Instead of having either Paul instructs us:

“For not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned”.
(Romans 12:3)

On one hand we have dignity being created in the image of God as a human being. On the other we are depraved sinners under the judgement of God. We are both the fruit of God’s creation and the fall of Adam.

Of the two extremes, I think that the feeling of inferiority reigns supreme today. Many feel unloved, worthless, nobody wants me, ugly, dumb, you name it.  Yet, Jesus is teaching us that if the almost worthless sparrow can’t fall to the ground without his notice, how much more important are we than them. We do have value to Him. He even knows the number of the hairs on each of our heads. (It doesn’t take much counting to number mine.)

I found this old-fashioned lyric by Civilla Martin: ” His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me”.

If God cares for the sparrows being a very insignificant bird, how much more does He care about us? He proved His love for us at the Cross. We are so valuable to God that He gave His only Son. Now that is real worth. Our true worth is what we are worth to God, and that is priceless since Jesus died for us.

I have loved my study of the birds and what they have to teach us.

Until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on May 27, 2014 in Birds, Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

43 responses to “Lessons From the Sparrow: Self-Esteem

May 27, 2014 at 5:20 am

Amen.

2. geoffhorswood

May 27, 2014 at 5:29 am

A good lesson.
    It’s somewhat ironic that of all of the European birds there are with beautiful songs, America imported the one that “just chirps”.
    I confess to a soft spot for sparrows; as an immigrant myself from that part of the world they were one of the few familiar sights at the bird table. I’ve become used to scissortails and cardinals and American robins and those awful grackles, but I still occasionally miss blue tits, European robins, chaffinches and thrushes.

May 27, 2014 at 5:38 am

Good morning Geoff. I’m sure you do miss different varieties from back home. I can’t find good bangers over here either. There is nothing better to me than a good English breakfast. Now I’m hungry. Have a great day and week!!!

3. Lionel Sneed

May 27, 2014 at 5:45 am

Thank you Levi. Your post are always on point and full of Godly wisdom.

May 27, 2014 at 5:47 am

I’m glad they are beneficial to you. Thanks for the encouragement! Have a great blessed day my Brother!!

4. Rob Barkman

May 27, 2014 at 6:22 am

Very well explained. What a blessing to know that our Lord cares for His people not because of us but because of His great love, mercy and kindness! What a wonderful Lord we serve!

May 27, 2014 at 6:30 am

Amen Rob. I have really enjoyed my study of the lessons we can learn from the birds of the sky. I have only a few more on the burner to develope. Lord bless you today!!

5. Andy Oldham

May 27, 2014 at 7:27 am

I love your bird series! 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 7:36 am

I’m glad. I’ve enjoyed preparing it. Have a great day and thanks for the encouragement.

6. Rocky

May 27, 2014 at 7:28 am

I have a bird lesson idea, but I’ll leave it to you to decide. You see how baby birds open their mouth believing their mother bird will feed them? That’s the idea, you could elaborate on it more (hint: Psalm 81:10… there’s even a sermon by Charles Surgeon on this verse). 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 7:34 am

Rocky, great observation. Since you saw it I want you to blog it. Thanks for sharing it. I will look up the Psalm. Thanks a bunch😄

• Rocky

May 27, 2014 at 7:36 am

lol, true, I figured you’d say that, actually I was going to do it anyways, heehee 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 7:46 am

Smartie. Hey do you have the widget to follow by email on your blog? I’ve been missing you and I like your post. You’re a wise young man.

• Rocky

May 27, 2014 at 7:55 am

I don’t know how that works, what’s the widget called and how do I install it?

May 27, 2014 at 8:22 am

Rocky, under your dashboard go down to appearance. Click on it and a pop up will appear and one of them is widgets. Select the one to follow by email. It will increase your traffic too I think!

• Rocky

May 27, 2014 at 9:04 am

Okay, thanks, did it. Sorry for the late reply, I was having brunch 🙂

7. Julie Harris

May 27, 2014 at 7:55 am

Love your sparrow lesson! That song is where I got the name for my blog 🙂 One of my favorites! Blessings to you!

May 27, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks for the encouragement Julie. Great to know where you got your blog name. We are free in Him!! Have a great day Julie😄

8. Paige Hamilton

May 27, 2014 at 8:40 am

I enjoyed this post very much! Good lessons to learn from the sparrow … as always, you have encouraged me to draw nearer to God today. 🙂

May 27, 2014 at 8:49 am

I’m so glad Paige. Btw, I received your new post by email but the link doesn’t work on it. It’s says not found. You may need to republish it. Have a blessed day. 😄

• Paige Hamilton

May 27, 2014 at 9:19 am

Thanks, Levi … I did post something and then immediately deleted it because I was trying to register my blog on BlogLovin’ . I’m still not exactly sure I did it the intended way, but I managed to get my blog registered there. 🙂 I’m working right now on my regular post for today. Sorry for the confusion! I just didn’t know how else to get it to work.

May 27, 2014 at 9:31 am

Ok. Just wasn’t sure if you knew. I’ve not heard of Bloglovin. I’ll check it out. Thanks!!

9. linda parvin hutchinson

May 27, 2014 at 9:40 am

I sing because I’m happy. My favorite post to date. Bravo.

May 27, 2014 at 9:44 am

Thanks Linda. This is a great encouragement to me. Keep singing!!!

10. sparrowkindalove

May 27, 2014 at 9:54 am

I’ve gotta say i am a little partial to the sparrow for JUST this reason! Thanks so much for sharing an important reminder 🙂 Have a great day!

May 27, 2014 at 10:05 am

I see why you have this blog name. It is a reminder we all need to hear. Thanks for your kind encouragement. Lord bless you!!!

11. Skye

May 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Perfect, Dear Levi. Your Monday series (on Tuesday) really was much needed today. Thank you, Dear Friend.

May 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Hope it was meant just for you!! You have a wonderful blessed day. Thank you for the encouragement!! 😀

12. Aurora

May 27, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I love the quiet of morning as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

May 27, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Most peaceful time of the day. Thank you for reading and commenting.

13. sheridegrom - From the literary and legislative trenches.

May 27, 2014 at 5:53 pm

A message we may take to our hearts. Thank you.

14. sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Hello dear sir! I really enjoyed this post. How awesome that we can learn so much from the tiny unpopular sparrow! God has ignited beauty in each and every one of us and in every living thing, no matter how seemingly distasteful to the naked eye. Our God makes no mistakes as you have depicted in your lovely post! Thank you and God bless you!

May 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm

The pleasure is mine. I’m so glad that it was a blessing to you. Jesus told us to learn from the birds of the sky and I think the sparrow was my fourth in the series. There are more on previous Mondays if you care to look. Thanks for the encouragement. Lord bless you!!

• sporterhall

May 27, 2014 at 9:37 pm

You’re welcome and may the Lord bless you as well! And of course….I will look for those other posts.

May 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’ve been thinking a lot on the topic of self-esteem lately and I have been thinking that sometime early fall to do a series in our church for maybe two or three week on the topic of self-esteem; Still need to think through this Biblically and pastorally. I think sometimes people can have false humility that’s still pride when they say they suffer self-esteem while other times they are crying out for the need of God’s grace to sanctify them while other times they need to understand the Gospel and how God has saved them, that they are made in the image of God, etc.
    THank you for this observation of the Sparrow.

May 28, 2014 at 1:39 pm

You have it the nail on the head. Pride comes with more than one face. I have really enjoyed studying for the bird series. Thanks. I appreciate you Brother!!!

16. Anna Waldherr

April 13, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I loved this post, Levi. It reminded me of something that happened one rainy day, years ago. I was still at the time working as a lawyer in Philadelphia.

Feeling particularly discouraged as I headed back to the office, I caught sight of a single sparrow. He was standing on the ground, alert but quite still, amid the tall buildings that loomed all around. I stopped for a moment, myself, to watch him. Just when I thought of the verse from Luke, he took flight.

I felt so encouraged. The humble little bird was a sweet reminder of God’s own love.

Blessings,

A.

April 14, 2016 at 6:29 am

I loved writing the series on what the birds teach us and glad You were blessed. Your story is a good one on how God encourages us In the most unusual ways. Have a great day. Blessings!!!

17. Anna Waldherr

March 12, 2017 at 9:04 pm

I love that verse from Luke, Levi. Birds of all kinds are abundant in the rural area where I now live. Their beauty and diversity astounds me. These creatures point so clearly toward their Maker.