A Real Gift From Heaven !!!!!!

28 May

As a cattleman I am a weather watcher. In fact, as long as I can remember I have kept up to date with the current and long-term weather forecast. This is the definition of a forecast according to Webster’s Dictionary:

” a prediction or estimate of future events, especially coming weather or a financial trend”

When the local weather bureau makes a “forecast” that we have a 50% chance of rain they mean half of the viewing area “may” receive some kind of precipitation. For the past 3 years my particular area has been in the left out half. In fact, the whole State of Oklahoma has missed out on sufficient moisture. The weather bureau has been “all wet”, but not with rain. We have been in a drought that surpasses even the Dust Bowl days. It really has been serious; the worst in recorded history.

Early on Sunday evening it started raining. It was suppose to rain to the west of where we live. When I went to bed it was still raining. I am an early riser and when I looked out after the sun peaked over the horizon I could see one of our ponds out of its banks. I couldn’t believe it. I excitedly put on my Muck boots to check the rain gauge. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it measured exactly 3.5 inches of Heaven sent rain.

Sunday after the VFW ceremony (thank Goodness) it began to rain again and when I checked the gauge later it measured just shy of 1.5 inches. That totals almost 5 inches in a 24 hour period. One would think we would have flooding but the cracks were so wide in the ground that it was soaked right up.

Last evening after the rain, my wife called me outside to look. We had missed the full beauty of it, but there was still a sign in the Heavens. There was a partial double rainbow still visible. My thoughts automatically remembered Genesis 9:13-16:

“I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth. It shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow will be seen in the cloud, and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh.“When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”

May2014 055

God made this covenant with Noah that as long as this present earth remains He will never flood it again. Yes, there will be local floods, but no universal flood again, EVER!!!

We are in no danger here of flooding in the area. To catch up on normal precipitation we need another 12 inches by the end of May just to be even year to date. And then I recalled another verse:

“Who giveth rain upon the earth, and sendeth waters upon the fields” (Job 5:10).

Who gives this rain? None other than God Almighty The Sustainer over all creation.

I am writing this at about 2pm on Tuesday. Today was our best chance of rain at 80% and so far not a sprinkle. It may rain later but probably not a gulley washer like was forecasted.

Something to ponder….I think I need to pray and trust God more for rain than waste time listening to the weather bureau. When we need it He will supply it. Btw, now I can make hay. Thank you Lord!!!

I’m really not bashing the weather bureau. They are correct much of the time and do us a great service; but they are only forecasters, they don’t control it.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on May 28, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

22 responses to “A Real Gift From Heaven !!!!!!

1. chaplynne

May 27, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hey Levi! Great blog. I keep getting a wrong link. I’d love to reblog. . Wishing continued showers of blessing, ChapLynne

2. katebortell

May 28, 2014 at 5:12 am

This is great Levi. God is good!!! 💜

May 28, 2014 at 6:21 am

Thank you Katie. He is good. I’m pretty caught up now too. Have a wonderful blessed day!!😀

• katebortell

May 28, 2014 at 6:37 am

That is so good to hear. 😃😃

3. Paige Hamilton

May 28, 2014 at 7:01 am

Reading your post as I listen to the downpour outside of my south Louisiana home, wondering if we might float away in a flash flood as I keep getting those warnings on my cell phone. But like you said, God sends the rain … and He is in control of when and where it falls. Good reminders for us to trust Him and not in what humans know or try to predict. By the way, that was a beautiful rainbow. I’m sure it was even more stunning to view in person. 🙂

May 28, 2014 at 7:52 am

It was a beautiful reminder of the promises of God of His sovereignty. Have a wonderful day and I pray you don’t flood. 😄

4. Karyl

May 28, 2014 at 8:33 am

Last night it rained really hard at home. We lost our power for an hour and a half. i lit candles and we sat in silence. My husband said that when he was a child his grandmother made them sit still and quietly during thunderstorms in reverence to God. She said “Let Him do his business.”

May 28, 2014 at 8:35 am

That made me smile. So good because it is all His business. Thanks for sharing!!!😄

5. chaplynne

May 28, 2014 at 9:01 am

Reblogged this on ChapLynne's Chat and commented:
    Rainbows of promise offer reminders of God’s love for us. Refracted light through droplets of moisture bringing showers of blessing! Thanks Levi, for a great post.

6. scythewieldor

May 28, 2014 at 10:32 am

I used to work in a feed & seed southeast of Dallas. One year was so dry that, by the end of September, even all the bad hay (filled with fire ants & stickers) was sold. By the end of October, the hay from Colorado was gone. Droughts always make me feel for cow men. I’m glad the Lord sent you rain.
    Sometimes, He has a plan for us that doesn’t include rain.
    Ac 11:28-30 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar. Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea: Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

May 28, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I know drought can be part of His plan. I’m thankful for this gift. Green Country we will become again for a bit anyway. I can prepare and see what His plans are for the remainder of the summer. Thanks for the input. Hope all is well.

7. "light and salt"

May 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Another super post, Levi! You know, it always bothers me on the news that weather people refer to all “events” as coming from “mother nature.” I know it isn’t “PC” to say, and I’m certain that someone would loose their job if they said “God has sent the rain, snow, flooding, etc.”

Still, it is so true. It is God who takes care of this earth. And everything that happens here is by His hand. Bad, or good, whatever happens is by His hand and inline with His purposes.

Just wish the world would admit to that…

Anyway, enjoy your day my friend!
    Steve

May 28, 2014 at 1:36 pm

In the post-modern culture in which we live God surely won’t be mentioned. I’m not sure who came up with “Mother Nature”. Even my iPad just placed caps on the term. God controls it all, needless to say for His purposes. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Great day,

• "light and salt"

May 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Yes…it’s important to be socially acceptable before we get things Spiritually correct…it’s a mad, mad world!

Thanks as always, Levi.

Enjoy your day…
        Steve

8. SuchATimeAsThis

May 28, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Great post! Every good and perfect gift (and that includes rain!) comes from Him.

May 28, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Thank you so much. So true, without Christ we would have nothing. Than you!!!

9. Rob Barkman

May 28, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Hi Levi,

The rainbow holds many blessings for the people of God. It is a reminder of His promise to never destroy the world by water, His great mercy, His great strength, His faithfulness to His promises and His hatred and wrath against sin… among others. Lord bless you Levi. Thanks for a great reminder.

May 28, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Thanks for reading and sharing Rob. I appreciate you!!!

10. tonyroberts64

May 28, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Beautiful reflection. There is nothing like a good, soaking rain to cleanse the air and refresh the earth.

May 28, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Thank you. Rain is certainly a cleanser and replenisher. Hope you’re well. Thanks so much!!!

May 29, 2014 at 3:02 am