Fishers Follow Him !!!!!!

29 May
Fishers Follow Him !!!!!!

And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men. (Mark 1:17)

Only by coming after Jesus can we obtain our heart’s desire and be really useful to our fellow men. Oh, how we long to be successful fishers for Jesus! We would sacrifice our lives to win souls. But we are tempted to try methods which Jesus would never have tried. Shall we yield to this suggestion of the enemy? If so, we may splash the water, but we shall never take the fish. We must follow after Jesus if we would succeed. Sensational methods, entertainment, and so forth—are these coming after Jesus? Can we imagine the Lord Jesus drawing a congregation by such means as are now commonly used? What is the result of such expedients? The result is nothing which Jesus will count up at the last great day.

We must keep to our preaching as our Master did, for by this means souls are saved. We must preach our Lord’s doctrine and proclaim a full and free gospel, for this is the net in which souls are taken, We must preach with His gentleness, boldness, and love, for this is the secret of success with human hearts. We must work under divine anointing, depending upon the sacred Spirit. Thus, coming after Jesus, and not running before Him, not aside from Him, we shall be fishers of men.

C.H.Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

11 responses to “Fishers Follow Him !!!!!!

May 29, 2014 at 5:14 am

How many years ago did he write this? Could have been yesterday!!

2. Debbie

May 30, 2014 at 2:51 am

What a great truth for us. It has,e thinking everything comes down to us following Jesus! Thank you for posting these!

May 30, 2014 at 5:55 am

Really Debbie “all of life” is about following Jesus for the believer, no matter what we are doing. Have a great day!!

3. Stacy Tolbert

May 30, 2014 at 10:28 am

AMEN!!! Great post Levi.

May 31, 2014 at 3:56 am

Good exhortation to keep preaching…I needed this encouragement tongiht/morning

5. Anna Waldherr

June 16, 2015 at 11:52 am

Perceptive, as always. Hope you are well, Levi. I came across a quote by Richard Wurmbrand that made me think of you. “If a Christian really believed that his neighbor will be tortured in all eternity in Hell, he should try day and night to persuade him to repent and believe. How sad that this doesn’t happen.”

June 16, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Hello Anna. I agree. I’ve been in Paris going on my 3rd week. The main thing I’ve learned from all of the believers here is that sharing the Gospel is a way of life everyday. In the States we are so fragmented about doctrines that are non-essential things. The Gospel should unite us to be a mighty army of Gospel proclaimers. So glad to hear from you. I’m off to London Sunday until the 5th and then NY for the rest of the month. God bless you my friend.