Can Birds Teach Us Gratitude ??????

02 Jun

In pondering over which bird to study for this weeks teaching, I decided upon a bird that I dislike very much. I find disfavor with this bird because of the mess they create…. It’s none other than the pigeon. I own some commercial property with multiple tenants. For years now, this building has been home to four pigeons that loft under the sidewalk awning. The 300 foot long sidewalk is always nasty in 2 spots because of them. With the building being in a major city, I can’t take my shotgun to them, and I haven’t used a slingshot since I was a kid. I wouldn’t dare poison them. If I were seen even attempting to kill them I would probably need to be bailed out of jail.

Today, I learned something very wonderful. When watching birds drink, have you ever noticed how they lower their heads, get a beak full of water, and raise their heads toward Heaven to allow the water to trickle-down their throats? Almost all birds drink by gravity; notice I said “almost”.

bluebird drinking

I have learned that all birds “but one” practice trickle-down drinking. There is only one of the 27 bird species that doesn’t fit into this practice, and it is the Columbiformes. To put this in simple English, these are the pigeon and dove family. It was news to me that they drink like a horse; by suction, and not gravity. So they dip there beaks in a puddle or pool of water and suck.

Thinking of the 26 species that lift their heads, it’s as if they are “thanking God” for His provisions and care for them. As believers, we are to be a people full of praise and thanksgiving to God. Listen to David:

Bless The Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits (Psalm 103:1-2).

We must be thankful for all of God’s gifts to us; and not just food and water and shelter.

G.K. Chesterton expressed it this way:

You say grace before meals.
All right.
But I say grace before the play and the opera,
And grace before the concert and pantomime,
And grace before I open a book,
And grace before sketching, painting,
Swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing;
And grace before I dip the pen in the ink. (G.K. Chesterton, A Biography)

So what do the dove and pigeon teach us? I don’t want to pick on the dove. It was the dove that brought the freshly plucked olive leaf back to Noah; and it was “like a dove” that The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at His baptism. We must not forget Jesus words to His disciples to be “as innocent as doves” (Matthew 10:16).

dove

Nothing good, or bad, is stated in the Bible referring to the “pagan” pigeon that I know of; so what can we learn from them? In life we can learn both positives and negatives from almost everything and everybody. I’m certain I have areas in my life that many wouldn’t want to emulate; but some of my greatest lessons in life are from observing people, and not wanting to be like them in certain areas. The pigeon now is one of these. So, the next time I see a pigeon drinking, I am sure to be reminded of the pigeons “seemingly unthankfulness”, and I’ll recall the “seeming thankfulness” of all other birds. In both cases, I am reminded to be THANKFUL, and have a heart full of GRATITUDE to God!!!

pigeon drinking

The birds have been mighty teachers to me. When I look at them now I can’t help but remember what they have taught me. I’m so grateful that our Lord Himself instructed us to learn from them. BE THANKFUL!!!

Until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on June 2, 2014 in Birds, Christianity, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

62 responses to “Can Birds Teach Us Gratitude ??????

1. godinterestuk

June 2, 2014 at 4:03 am

Cool

2. geoffhorswood

June 2, 2014 at 5:14 am

Good morning, Levi,
    You might investigate the possibilities of a peregrine falcon for dealing with your pigeon problem. 🙂
    Good post. Another fascinating tidbit about pigeons is that they produce “milk” for their young. Most birds regurgitate solids from their crop/gizzard for their chicks, but pigeons produce a nutritious milky liquid.
    The milk of the Word? Something to be grateful for on numerous levels.
    Have a blessed day

June 2, 2014 at 5:23 am

Good morning Geoff,
      Thanks for your input about the pigeon. There are other very interesting facts of the pigeon that are quite fascinating but for time sake didn’t mention since I found my “trail” to run. Lord bless you today!!!

3. Rob Barkman

June 2, 2014 at 5:59 am

Levi,

I am really enjoying this series. For many years I did not begin to appreciate the wonder of birds. But my wife over the years has helped me to develop a real interest in them. I really appreciate you using these different birds to teach us spiritual principles from His Word. Thanks! It is a blessing.

June 2, 2014 at 6:02 am

Rob, it’s always more fun for the teacher, as you know, but I’m glad you’re enjoying them. Many other facts I could bring out but don’t want to over-do it. Birds, as well as all creation, have God’s awe factor. Have a great day!

4. Linda Arthur Tejera

June 2, 2014 at 6:56 am

Great post! Just for fun and info, here’s a link to some info on the “Value of Pigeons”! http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org/pigeons/pijvalu.html

June 2, 2014 at 8:01 am

I will look at this. Thanks for sharing this with me. I learned more than I could share in the post but the analogy worked for the post. I appreciate you!!!😀

5. Yahobahne

June 2, 2014 at 6:57 am

Sir Levi, I never noticed the difference in how birds drank water particularly the pigeon. This includes watching the nature shows on TV, etc.. How interesting and enlightening this passage. Now I’m subject to purposely notice more carefully the way of the birds. Thank you for sharing.

June 2, 2014 at 7:58 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed this post. There is more to learn of the birds than I ever imagined. Thanks for sharing!!!

6. Equipping The Saints

June 2, 2014 at 6:57 am

Thank you for this post. My wife and I have had birds since 1986, and have been greatly blessed by seeing the majesty of God’s creation being present in them. Your first picture is similar to the view that i find everyday whenever I look out my back door window and see wild birds feeding on the food that I have left for them. Again, thank you.

Senior Pastor, Equipping The Saints
    Philippians 3:10 “That I May Know Him”

June 2, 2014 at 7:53 am

The birds are a blessing. Like you and your wife I enjoy them very much. They have more to teach us I’ve found than I ever imagined. Have a blessed day!!

Thanks!

7. atimetoshare

June 2, 2014 at 7:01 am

Another wonderful lesson learned from nature. Thanks!

8. msauthorette

June 2, 2014 at 9:35 am

What an interesting reminder! There are always things in nature that remind us of God, and to be thankful and praise Him. Just this morning, after dropping my son off at school, I was thanking God for the cool morning, and that I have eyes to enjoy the sky, and the freedom to drive. I enjoyed this post sooo much, thank you! 🙂

June 2, 2014 at 9:41 am

You are an observant and thankful Lady by your remarks. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

9. Michael

June 2, 2014 at 9:36 am

Love the verse and I featured the Chesterton quote in a series. Thanks for this insight!

June 2, 2014 at 9:39 am

I enjoyed putting it together. I’m glad you liked it. Thanks for your encouragement Michael!!

June 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

Reblogged this on Elaine's Random Thoughts and commented:
    Great post about always showing Thankfulness to God in everything. Thanks Levi! Your posts are always a blessing!

11. K. Q. Duane

June 2, 2014 at 12:00 pm

As a side bar, it appears we must be very grateful Oklahoma’s legislature and to have an admirable woman governor, like Mary Fallin. She just signed limitations on abortion clinics insisting that they have to have a physician with hospital affiliation on their staff. This same law shut down most of the abortion clinics in Texas.

June 2, 2014 at 12:03 pm

She is our kind of people here. We are one of the most conservative states in the union. We like her!!!

• K. Q. Duane

June 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm

She will be my admirable woman for next week. You are lucky to live at one end of the political spectrum, where I am forced to endure the other end while living in New Jersey.

12. johnmarkmiller

June 2, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I’ve always seen birds drink this way, but have never thought of it like this. Thanks for sharing your refreshing perspective!

June 2, 2014 at 12:37 pm

John, the pleasure is certainly mine. You know that when you are studying something the teacher learns more than he can share. I’ve learned so much on birds in these studies. Thanks for the kind words.

June 2, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hi Levi: I’m beginning to think you have to much time on your hands. lol Now you have me watching the birds and trying to figure out if they’re giving me a scripture. 🙂

June 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Good morning Sue: I actually have waaaay to little time, to tell you the truth. Since I “retired” over 2 years ago I have never been busier in my life. I do spend a good deal of time outside, and am able to observe and think working by myself in farm work. I’m glad you’re watching the birds now. That is a small part of my objective in this. Slow down girl, and smell the roses. Lol.

• Sue C.

June 2, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Oh I watch the birds all the time and I do smell the roses. In fact I love them. lol I just never connected birds with scripture. You’re wearing my brain out. lol Love your stuff!

June 2, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I’m so glad Sue. Keep connecting. Lol. I don’t want to wear you out. Have a rest now. Thanks so much for your encouragement. Still haven’t received your book yet. I’m waiting patiently.

• Sue C.

June 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm

If you don’t get the book soon let me know and I’ll send you one. My gift. 🙂

June 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I’ve already paid for the other one. Surely it will come soon. Thank you for the offer though.

14. "light and salt"

June 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Yep, Levi, your posts are “for the birds…” and thank the Lord that you share them! For actually they are “about” the birds and “for” our spiritual edification!

Talk to you later, my friend!

Steve Pejay

June 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm

You are too funny Steve. Sometimes I feel my posts are for the birds. Hopefully some are being deified through them. Have a great day!!!

• "light and salt"

June 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm

And you as always, my friend!

Steve

15. Julie Harris

June 2, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Love reading your bird series!! Yes, we have so much to be thankful for, and much to learn from these beautiful animals 🙂 God Bless!

June 2, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Julie, thank you very much for your encouragement. I have loved preparing them very much. I appreciate you!! 😀

16. vagabondurges

June 2, 2014 at 6:05 pm

That’s a very interesting post for me. I….dwell on the other side of a couple spectrums, shall we say? And I’m always interested to hear different viewpoints. Thanks!

June 2, 2014 at 6:51 pm

That’s not a problem, I listen to more yah none spectrum. I think it’s healthy to do so. Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate it!!

17. vwoods1212

June 2, 2014 at 6:12 pm

This is simple marvelous. Even right now, I thank God for you and the beautiful words you share. To God be the glory; for making all things beautiful. vw

June 2, 2014 at 6:52 pm

He only is worthy of our praise! Thank you dear one for your encouraging words. Btw, you are a blessing too. Lord bless you 🙂

18. katiewilda

June 2, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Thank you for liking my post and for this reminder about being thankful. Blessings on you and yours.

June 2, 2014 at 7:19 pm

You’re welcome Katie, and thanks for liking mine. I will visit you as new post appear. Have a great evening!!!

19. Cate Pane: The Clear Parent

June 2, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Great post! I know that God created pigeons and doves are a part of this species, but the spiritual reference is lovely. I am often reminded of God’s unconditional love by my little dog. Also, she is sad when I leave her but ALWAYS welcomes me home, much like our Savior.

June 2, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Thank you. You have a great post thought and great analogy with your dog. Write it. I am still praying for you and your family. Lord bless you!!! Thanks.

20. Debbie

June 3, 2014 at 12:56 am

Thank you for teaching us , using the pigeon! These lessons will stick with me! God bless!

21. Skye

June 3, 2014 at 7:30 am

We truly can learn from every aspect of the Lord’s creation. This was an absolutely wonderful post, Dear Levi!!

June 3, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thank you very much Skye. You are a great encouragement to me 🙂

22. Loca Gringa

June 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

If we open ourselves, God teaches us through all of his creations, through all of his actions upon us. I’m glad to have him carry me!

23. Michael Andrew Williams

June 17, 2014 at 9:12 am

Be encouraged! Unlike those with a brow of brass and neck of iron the pigeon does “bow” before GOD as seen in your photo (above). Often, those who most seem to be indifferent and stiffnecked will be those who spend the most time within their secret prayer chamber. Thanks for sharing.

June 17, 2014 at 10:50 am

And thank you for sharing. What you said I believe to be true as well.

24. charlypriest

June 18, 2014 at 2:01 am

I find it fascinating not only the facts, about birds drinking by suction in this case the pigeon and by gravity. Go figure that would be nice for a human to do. But I love how you interwine the story with God and then your poem and the facts. All around a great learning experience and message.

I do have to say that I had to grin to myself when at the beginning you fantasised about shooting the poor thing, or sling shot it. Sling shot? Those where the fun days.

June 18, 2014 at 6:16 am

Lol. Slingshot em! I used them as a kid. Probably couldn’t hit a barn with them now. Hope you’re doing fine.

• charlypriest

June 18, 2014 at 6:21 am

Doing fine Levy, thanks.

About the email I have no clue where the hell did it go. Since I had over 1.000 plus in the inbox after spending 20 days without access to internet, most of them if not all are notifications of post recently published and when I saw all that I decided to hit delete and throw it to the garbage most of them. So maybe I threw yours to the garbage. 🙂 Don´t sling shot me though, wasn´t on purpose.

25. The Lazurus Project

June 26, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Birds have always thrilled me, especially the acrobatic antics of gulls. However, birds, like the rest of creation are also fallen. I thought if i walked along the beach to pray it would be peaceful. two things i found, all the creatures there were eating one another. the other thing was gulls fought like cats and dogs among themselves over who would get the choicest morsels. It’s a gull eat gull world.

But this is life. We have the beauty and wonder of God’s creation (pigeons have some remarkable “neon” colors), but they are also, let’s face it, dirty birds.

June 26, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Yes sir, the whole creation groans under the weight of sin. I still love to watch them, and Jesus instructed us to learn from them. I have learned some very good lessons from studying birds. Thanks for the great comment.