Nothing Is Too Good For My Son !!!!!!

03 Jun

Last week, in my interview with A “Mike” For Christ I confessed that I am a bit of an Anglophile. Older British settings to me are the best whether it be mysteries, dramas, or just entertainment. My all-time favorite series from the BBC is “All Creatures Great and Small”. I own it and still love it.

As I write this it is midday, and I’m sitting in my study since it has rained all morning. On one of my bookshelves I have my favorite DVDs, and among them is one of my most loved movies, “Sorrell and Son”.

sorrell

This is the review of it that I found on Amazon:

Editorial Review
Spanning two decades of tragedy and joy, this faithful adaptation of Warwick Deeping’s best-selling novel tells the story of Stephen Sorrell (Richard Pasco), a decorated British army officer, who returns home after the First World War to face unemployment, poverty and his wife’s desertion. Determined to educate his son as a gentleman, Sorrell is forced to accept exhausting and demeaning jobs in order to provide him with the best possibilities for a brighter future. As seen on Masterpiece Theatre

The storyline is so true to life that I’m captivated by it. I have watched it several times over the years without it ever growing old. The elder Sorrell put His entire life with blood, sweat, and tears to provide his son the ability to become a proper English gentleman; and as his son became the man he so labored, he died.

As Sorrell so willingly gave his life for his son, Jesus Christ gave all that He had, His sweat, and tears, and Precious blood to bring sons to God the Father. The writer to the Hebrews puts it this way:

“In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering” (Hebrews 2:10).

God, in the person of Jesus Christ, came to this earth to die for His sons and daughters. Think of the love He has, and the sacrifice He gave for us. And it wasn’t done in vain. The above verse tells us that “many” sons will be brought to glory.

To me, the end of the movie is very sad. Sorrell had placed his entire efforts into his sons future. His son had just graduated from university and was only beginning in life when Sorrell dies. He was never able to enjoy watching the fruits of his labor and life.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible, among many, is this:

“Then comes the end, when He (Christ) delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power” (I Cor. 15:24).

At the end of time, Jesus Christ will present to God the Father the kingdom, comprising of His brothers and sisters whom He purchased, and present them to God the Father as sons. Unlike Sorrell, for all the ceaseless ages of eternity God will enjoy His sons and daughters, and they will praise and honor and glorify and enjoy Him for all that He has done.

What a plan God has for His redeemed people; and how fortunate we are who are called sons and daughters of the living God!!!

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on June 3, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

17 responses to “Nothing Is Too Good For My Son !!!!!!

1. Lilka Raphael

June 3, 2014 at 6:35 am

Great analogy!

2. atimetoshare

June 3, 2014 at 8:30 am

AMEN!

June 3, 2014 at 9:32 am

“and how fortunate we are…” AMEN!

4. Linda Arthur Tejera

June 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Lovely post. I enjoy so many of the productions from Masterpiece Theatre! 🙂

June 3, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I do too. I wish there were more than pretty much Sunday nights.

5. Sheila

June 3, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I’d never heard of that movie, but it sounds like my kind of film, as “All Creatures Great and Small” is one my favorites, too, though I only got to watch parts of it on You-Tube. I love the books! I got to watch an episode of “Call the Midwife” on public broadcasting last summer in Mich. while looking after my mom after her hospital stay that you’d probably like. Too bad they won’t let us watch public broadcasting online over here, or I’d try to follow it! But you might check it out! It’s set in the 1950’s East End, London.

June 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I actually am watching Call To The Midwife now for the past 3 months or so. The movie I referred too is a true classic. It is adapted from a book written I think in 1927. It’s really a great film in my opinion, but I am rather biased I’m sure. Lol

• Sheila

June 3, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I’ll have to look for them!

June 4, 2014 at 2:11 am

Wow what an emotional series!

June 4, 2014 at 5:29 am

It is a great one that is so real when watching. If you haven’t watched it Amazon carries it still.

7. Denine Taylor

June 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Love the analogy! I prefer foreign ninja (lol) movies. though I am sure, I will never have an analogy as beautiful as this one. Thanks Levi!

June 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Denine. I’m sure yours would be as good or better!!!

• Denine Taylor

June 6, 2014 at 8:35 am

Very much doubt that, but incredibly kind for you to say! Blessings on your day!