The Beauty Of God’s Fluttering Creatures !!!!!!

05 Jun

hummingbird1

On the first Wednesday of each month the Tulsa Master Gardeners has a 3 hour meeting featuring a special topic and speaker. Yesterday, I was privileged to listen to Dr. Lenora Larson on the subject of butterflies. It was only last year that I became very interested in butterfly gardening, and it was the first time in my life that I very much enjoyed the rewards of flower gardening beyond the beauty of the flowers. I captured these photos last summer.

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things
are passed away; behold, all things are become new. ”   2 Corinthians 5:17

Many times I’m inspired to write because of nature and the unique way God has made something. I began thinking about the butterfly and about how it appears into the beautiful creature that it is. I don’t know if you have considered the analogy of the butterfly and our new life in Christ. I love the thought, but I wanted to share with you more about this beautiful little creature.

lep_giant_swallowtail927

Here are some amazing facts about the butterfly which are only a reminder once again of how intricately God made each creature from the big huge elephant down to the insects.

Here’s some things that stand out to me about the butterfly and the analogies.

Butterflies have predators!
As lovely as the butterfly is, there are other little creatures out there that prey on it. There are wasps, birds, snakes, and frogs to name just a few.

When we become a new creation Christ Jesus, we have a predator too. Just like the butterfly needs to be aware of his surroundings and how its predators can attack him, so do we as Christians. The devil is out there and he is seeking out whom he may devour. He is our “adversary”.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring
lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.   1 Peter 5:8

Butterflies Must Have The Sun.
Butterflies can’t fly if their temperature is less than 86°  They cannot produce heat on their own and butterflies rely on the sun to heat up their wings in order for them to move about. They are strongly muscled but they can’t fly without the sun to warm their bodies first.

monarch

You have probably noticed why on cloudy days the butterfly population is less active. You may see them landing on an object for a period of time like they are resting, maybe just a slight movement of the wings; they were soaking up the sun in order to take flight.

Wow!  That is how we are as Christians. We can’t do things on our own. We need the “Son” to warm us as well. We don’t move along very well in our own strength, do we? We have to rely on the Lord’sstrength and guidance before we can accomplish anything.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.  Philippians 4:13

Butterflies Can See Ultraviolent Light.
Do you know that the butterfly can see things we humans cannot see? God made them with the ability to see ultraviolent light which helps to distinctly guide them to find nectar to drink.

As Christians we have a special eyesight as well and we can see things others don’t. We can see through the eyes of faith. Oftentimes those without Christ don’t understand Christians. We have the ability to see with the eyes of faith and the Bible is our guide.

Think of all of those heroes of faith listed in Hebrews chapter 11 and of all the things that happened because of their faith.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence
of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

These butterfly characteristics make me think of David when he went to battle Goliath. He could see clearly what God was going to do. I love how David had been basking in the “Son” shine as a young shepherd boy? He was ready to act for the Lord.

That big old Philistine giant was mocking David and telling him how he was going to give his flesh to the birds and the beasts, but David was seeing with those eyes of faith. I just love this passage. It’s one of those that screams out and says, “Yes!” God is in control. He is sovereign!!!

Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword,
and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of
the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast
defied. This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and
I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give
the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of
the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may
know that there is a God in Israel. And all this assembly shall
know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle
is the LORD’s, and he will give you into our hands.  ! Samuel 17:45-47.

My favorite part is when David says, “…I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel…”.   We cannot do anything in our own strength. We sure can’t “flutter” very far.

orange dog

Going back to 2 Corinthians 5:17, it says that

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old
things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

We need to be constantly saturating ourselves God’s Word and spending time with the “Son” of God before we can move forward and take flight.

So, how are you fluttering around?

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on June 5, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

43 responses to “The Beauty Of God’s Fluttering Creatures !!!!!!

1. Rob Barkman

June 5, 2014 at 5:48 am

Levi. Your post was a blessing once again. The wonders of nature are so very special for all of us. Not only do they show us the greatness and wisdom of our Lord, but they also can be great illustrations from which to help us understand spiritual truth. Lord bless you.

June 5, 2014 at 5:50 am

Thanks Rob. I don’t want to wear these out but there is a great analogy to many of them.

2. jesusmyjoy

June 5, 2014 at 6:08 am

I collect butterfly’s , they are God’s whisper to us, when they brush by and lightly touch your face, and you least expect it, God whispered in your ear…

June 5, 2014 at 6:12 am

That’s a neat thought. They amazing thing is that many only fly for 2 days before they die. Most of their life is the cocoon stage constantly growing, like we Christians. Thanks for sharing.

3. Rivera

June 5, 2014 at 6:11 am

Nature is indeed one of God’s “educational classes”. We would be wise to take note, and “change” our ways. “Without ‘change’ there would be no Butterflies”
    Wonderful post. Enjoyed this so very much.

June 5, 2014 at 6:12 am

Good morning and I’m glad you liked it. Have a great day!

4. atimetoshare

June 5, 2014 at 6:40 am

I learn something new from you every day. Thank you for the information and inspiration.

June 5, 2014 at 6:42 am

You’re welcome, you do a great job of this yourself. Have a wonderful day and stay cool. It’s gonna be hot here again today but rain moving in so I must mow 5 acres. 😀

• atimetoshare

June 5, 2014 at 6:51 am

Yikes! Stay cool, my friend.

5. Lilka Raphael

June 5, 2014 at 7:38 am

I loved that! And I learned a few things about butterflies in the process. Enjoy a beautiful day.

June 5, 2014 at 8:38 am

Thank you very much Raphael. You enjoy your day as well!!!😀

6. Family to the 5 Power!

June 5, 2014 at 7:51 am

This was really interesting and I learned a few new things about butterflies that I’ll be sharing with my kids at dinner tonight! So true that we must rely on Him, and be warmed by the “Son”. Such a meaningful post-as yours always are.

June 5, 2014 at 8:40 am

Good morning. Thank you very much for your kind words. There is so much to learn, isn’t there? You are very encouraging to me. Have a wonderful day!!!

7. Vincent Chough

June 5, 2014 at 8:14 am

Good morning Levi from a fellow flutterer …. bless you brother!

June 5, 2014 at 8:41 am

Bless you Vincent, and thank for reading and it’s good to know you are a fellow flutterer.. Lol

June 5, 2014 at 8:32 am

Beautiful pictures and beautiful lesson. You continually amaze me, Levi with how the Lord brings such insight into “simple” things. Love it.

June 5, 2014 at 8:43 am

Good morning Sue. I think simple is better these days. Maybe I’m simpler, idk. You are a great encourager to me. Thanks for being here. Have a great day!!!!

9. wingedprisms

June 5, 2014 at 9:25 am

Very interesting facts about the lovely butterflies (wingedprisms) – and about us…….. great post Levi. 🙂

June 5, 2014 at 9:28 am

They really are very interesting. Such a wonder the natural world. I honestly had not thought of the meaning of your blog name, Ms. Butterfly. Lol. Thanks so much!!!

10. Nate

June 5, 2014 at 9:48 am

We definitely need to be soaking up time in the ‘Son’. It is an interesting comparison of us with butterflies. Certainly my daughter loves butterflies!

June 5, 2014 at 9:52 am

Hello Nate. I thought The Lord showed me a good analogy in this. I’m glad your daughter loves butterflies, they are fun!!!

11. johnmarkmiller

June 5, 2014 at 12:22 pm

And how awesome is it that God can take a “butterfly” like David (or us) and use him to defeat a giant? Great reminder not to “flutter around” without God’s help!

12. David C. Hughes, Writer

June 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Hi Levi! Your article caught my eye because of the cover art I’m using for The Epiphany of Joy. Several months ago my sister had a dream that her guardian angel threw down a whole slew of books at her feet, looked at her, and said, “Butterflies!” My sister told me about this account, and mentioned she looked up “butterfly symbolism” on the internet and was fascinated by what she found. I later did the same thing, and discovered that the butterfly is a symbol for joy! So I’ve got a Question Mark butterfly on the cover of my book, with its iconic punctuation mark on the underside of its wing prominently displayed! On the back cover is a picture of another Question Mark butterfly, this time with wings spread, glowing orange and black. My 16-year-old niece did the artwork and she did a fantastic job.

Thanks for the continued blessing of your words and for both your persistence and consistency with your blog. Many blessings!

June 5, 2014 at 5:30 pm

David, neat story. Sounds like a nice cover idea as well. I appreciate your kind words of encouragement and kudos on your new book.

Lord bless you,

13. Garden Walk Garden Talk

June 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Flying flowers, I think God thought that when He made them. I am so inspired by nature and always an amazed that there is someone greater that made all this for us. I just wish that more would see the great gift and care for what we were given.

June 5, 2014 at 5:28 pm

You are so right. I love your enthusiasm! They are a wonderful gift that more should love and admire. Thank you!!!

June 5, 2014 at 11:07 pm

What a wonderful post! Love the analogy! There is a never ending supply of things to learn in nature!

June 6, 2014 at 5:40 am

Good morning Elaine. It seems I’m still learning something everyday. I appreciate your encouragement. Have a great day! Lord bless.

June 6, 2014 at 2:33 am

Your post reminded me tonight of the reality of spiritual warfare…we must not forget we are in a war

June 6, 2014 at 5:43 am

Yes we are in a constant battle. It’s worth fighting because we’ve already won through Christ.

16. Heather

June 6, 2014 at 7:12 am

This was so cool I may have to share it with my youth class Sunday! Fave part hands down was the fact that they can’t fly without being warmed by the sun… sooo applicable to us – I can’t do anything in my own power- only with God’s son. Thanks for sharing Levi! : )

June 6, 2014 at 7:19 am

Thanks Heather. We are frigid without the Son indeed!! Have a great weekend. 😀

17. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

June 6, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Oh, Dear Levi. I loved this post! Every year, I drive out to Hershey, PA, to Hershey Gardens. They have a wonderful butterfly house. They really are one of God’s finest gifts to us. He is so good, and there is so much to learn about His wonderful nature in, well….nature!! 🙂

18. james1948

June 6, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Reblogged this on James1948's Blog and commented:
    I do appreciate the insight of this topic.

19. Sheila

June 7, 2014 at 2:27 am

Great stuff, Levi! I especially liked the part about the shepherd boy soaking up God’s presence! And I didn’t know all that about butterflies. But I’d like to know more about butterfly gardening. Does that mean raising them, or just attracting them to your garden? It would be great to have more of these useful (and beautiful) insects around!

20. Stacy Tolbert

June 8, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Another great, thought provoking post Levi!!! May God continue to richly bless you as you continue to be a blessing to many.

LOVE, GRACE, PEACE