“I Just Found Yore Key In The Lock” !!!!!!

06 Jun

cowboy humor

I ran a post 2-3 weeks ago of cowboy humor by Ace Reid. Many seemed to enjoy it, so here is another. This cowboy has torn his truck apart to find the gate key only to find that he had left it in the lock the previous time he was there. Now, I must admit that I have done similar things, but maybe not to this extreme. In fact, I venture to say that many men are this way. To make life easier, if I can’t find something pretty quickly I just holler “Liiiiinda” ( my wife ), and I will have it in short order, usually. Time is precious you know.

Doesn’t this ring true with Christianity? People run to self-help books, conferences, revivals, iTunes, counselors, ad nauseam looking for the Truth. Year after year and decade after decade may be spent diligently seeking for the newest and quickest way to have close fellowship with God. I’m not saying here that none of the above should never be read or attended or used. They do have their place; but not as the final authority in matters that will really change your spiritual life long-term.

“Yore key is in the lock”! The key is God’s Holy Word, The Bible. It alone has the answers to all of life’s challenges, dilemmas, set-backs, disappointments and is the source for spiritual growth. Listen to some of these verses:

The Bible was inspired and given by God. The prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (II Peter 1:21) “All scripture is given by inspiration of God”(II Tim 3:16).

The Bible is God’s Word. I Thessalonians 2:13 says, “When ye received the Word of God…ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God. II Timothy 3:16 adds, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine .for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”

The Bible is the source of truth. The big question today is…“Where is the truth?” Jesus said in John 17:17, “Sanctify them through thy truth: thy Word is truth.” The Bible is called the Word of truth” (II Tim 2:15

God gave us the Bible to guide us through life. The psalmist said, Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Ps 119:105). Jesus said in Matthew 4:4, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God,”

The Bible will show us what is ‘missing in life’. Hebrews 4:12 says, “The Word of God is powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword…and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

The Bible is the only thing Jesus ever quoted (many times). The Bible is the only source of information about Jesus. Jesus said, Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me” John 5:39).

This is the 2nd time this week that I have felt compelled to call us back to Scripture. We all have the key but many don’t use it. We have every excuse in the world to keep us from it. If you don’t use it “ya shore don’t know what yore missin”.

“How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth”! (Psalm 119:103)

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on June 6, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

24 responses to ““I Just Found Yore Key In The Lock” !!!!!!

June 6, 2014 at 4:30 am

Levi – you and Spurgeon, you and Ace … the connections just keep connecting. Thank you!!

2. atimetoshare

June 6, 2014 at 6:30 am

How true – we often look every place but the obvious when we search for truth. It’s right there. Thanks again for a great post!

3. Mel

June 6, 2014 at 6:46 am

Amen and Amen!

4. Karen Pickering

June 6, 2014 at 7:49 am

I agree whole heartedly!

June 6, 2014 at 8:59 am

Great!! It’s easy to get caught up in all the trappings that we can miss the source! Lord bless you!😀

June 6, 2014 at 9:11 am

I bought a Bible. I had a persons name embossed on the front cover in gold, I was so pleased when wrapping it as his gift. With excitement I picked up the phone and called, “How do you like your gift?” There was a slight hesitation then his reply. “Oh, just another book to set on the shelf and gather dust.” Unlike the cowboy he obviously he wasn’t interested in finding his key.

June 6, 2014 at 9:27 am

Good morning Sue😀 what you have described is a very common thing I’m afraid. I would say most church attenders fall into this category. Have a great weekend!!

6. Lilka Raphael

June 6, 2014 at 10:48 am

I loved this post. I can relate to the whole looking for what you already have a bit too much for sure. Sometimes we run around in circles searching for what we need when it has been right in front of us the entire time. With all of our new “knowledge” in this century, nothing gives greater wisdom than the basic Word that is timeless. Have a great weekend!

June 6, 2014 at 10:53 am

Thanks Raphael! You are so true. It is sitting in front of many gathering dust. Btw, I loved your post. I made a comment and lost it when my internet connection failed. It was beautiful. You have a great weekend too!!😀

7. Skye @ TheSanctuaryofMyHeart

June 6, 2014 at 1:22 pm

“We all have the key but many don’t use it.” I love this post; I can truly relate. Have a wonderful weekend, Dear Levi!

8. james1948

June 6, 2014 at 4:56 pm

The Source is the truth and you have just revealed the Source. Thank you.

June 6, 2014 at 5:04 pm

It is indeed, thanks for your encouragement Brother!!

9. johnmarkmiller

June 6, 2014 at 9:14 pm

So true! We crave revival and the answer is right in front of us (collecting dust on the coffee table)…thanks for this bold reminder!

June 6, 2014 at 9:19 pm

My pleasure John. I hope you do well in the writing contest again. Are you going for the triple crown? Lol

• johnmarkmiller

June 6, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Ha! Thanks…honestly the contest is just a fun way to celebrate that Friday is here and the weekend is upon me! I really like the challenge and the variety…hope your weekend goes well!

10. Sheila

June 7, 2014 at 2:12 am

Thanks for another great post, Levi! I love the analogies you bring out. And I’m glad to know my husband isn’t the only one to do these things! He’s left fully packed cartop carriers open all night (on the car), and also left the keys right in the car door over night. Sometimes the neighbors come to tell him the keys are in the door, and often he leaves for work, only to come right back in. I hear the neighbor lady ask him, “Forgot your phone again?” He’s a trip, but I love him! Have a nice week-end!

June 7, 2014 at 9:18 am

Your husband and I are part of a lot of guys, we just admit it, or get caught. Lol. Hope you guys weekend is a pleasant one as well.😀

11. Debbie

June 7, 2014 at 2:28 am

I love how you tied this cartoon into the Christian life! Thank you for reminding us that we have the key! God bless!

June 7, 2014 at 3:28 am

Good call back to the Scriptures!