Farm Kid Joins The Marines !!!!!!

19 Jun

I don’t know if you have ever noticed, but it seems to me that most of the time when the South is portrayed on television, or country people in general, they are all “hicks”. I must assure you that neither is the case anymore than any other place in the country.

The letter below does nothing to dispel the myth but I think it is so funny that I wanted to share it with you all. If I’m nuts for posting it tell me and I won’t do it again. I’ve never posted anything like this. I hope you all get a chuckle from it.

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brothers Walt and Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things.  No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there’s warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It’s no wonder these city boys can’t walk much.

We go on “route marches,” which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us.  If he thinks so, it’s not my place to tell him different.  A “route march” is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher.  He nags a lot.  The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don’t bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing.  I keep getting medals for shooting.   I don’t know why.  The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don’t move, and it ain’t shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home.  All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it.  You don’t even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training.  You get to wrestle with them city boys.  I have to be real careful though, they break real easy.  It ain’t like fighting with that ole bull at home.  I’m about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake ..  I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I’m only 5’6″ and 130 pounds and he’s 6’8″ and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,

Alice

Posted by on June 19, 2014 in A LA CARTE

Tags: , , , , ,

70 responses to “Farm Kid Joins The Marines !!!!!!

1. Little Monk

June 19, 2014 at 4:29 am

Thank you, Levi! This is terrific! I love starting the day with a laugh! 🙂

2. lookingthroughanotherseyes

June 19, 2014 at 5:06 am

Good morning Levi, you just made me choke on my cup of tea lol! So funny, I love it.

I wish my Dad’s brother was still alive to share this with, he would have enjoyed that a lot.

His name, Squadron Leader “Elmer”Seddon Storey. He passed away a couple of years back. He was an amazing gentleman and I was so blessed to have him as my Uncle. On my Dad’s side there were only the 2 of them that I ever knew, the rest died before I was born.

In the film The Great Escape but in real life, Elmer was the guy who drew up the plans for the tunnels. A fascinating character who kept me amused for hours with his tales when I was younger.

It was he that gave me my love of history and he that instilled into me to always look “OUTSIDE THE BOX” He was a real critical thinker.

Wishing you a really lovely day
    Su x

June 19, 2014 at 5:12 am

Good morning still ? I’m glad you enjoyed this. Your uncle would have been fun to talk to it sounds like. I tried something a wee bit different. See how it goes. Have a splendid day Su 🙂

• lookingthroughanotherseyes

June 19, 2014 at 5:14 am

Yes still morning, 11.13am. Well I enjoyed the post my friend, great story and it made me chuckle. Well done x

June 19, 2014 at 5:15 am

I thought there was a 6 hour difference with daylight savings time. Thanks!

• lookingthroughanotherseyes

June 19, 2014 at 5:21 am

I’m not sure. What time is it in OK? Su x

June 19, 2014 at 5:22 am

5:22

• lookingthroughanotherseyes

June 19, 2014 at 5:25 am

Hee hee you are as bad as me for being up and about while most folks are sleeping. Unless of course it is different where you are and having cattle to attend to etc? I have no good excuse like that I just love that time of day, sitting in the garden listening to the dawn chorus and pondering. Pondering is great at that time of day, unhurried pondering lol. Su x

June 19, 2014 at 5:27 am

I’m an early riser. I meet my buddies at the coffee shop very shortly. I do this every morning. I love the mornings. Lol

• lookingthroughanotherseyes

June 19, 2014 at 5:30 am

Well that sounds like a perfect thing to do, in hope you enjoy your day my friend. God bless you and thank you for your great posts, Su x

June 19, 2014 at 5:32 am

You have a great day too Su. Lord bless you!!!!

3. Skye

June 19, 2014 at 5:39 am

Alice!!! Oh, I love this!!!! Now, while I could not “break a city boy because they break so easily”…..I am quite proud of the country life and the hard work it brings sometimes. 🙂 This was wonderful!!! Thank you for the giggles and grins this morning, Dear Levi!!!

June 19, 2014 at 5:41 am

I’m glad you got a grin and giggle this morning. I thought it was quite funny too. Lol

4. atimetoshare

June 19, 2014 at 7:10 am

This gave me my first chuckle of the day. Loved the surprise ending. Have a wonderful day.

June 19, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thank you, I’m glad you got a chuckle. Lol. Great day to you 🙂

5. Karen Pickering

June 19, 2014 at 7:35 am

Great story. Reminds us how spoiled we are.

June 19, 2014 at 8:52 am

It does at that. I thought it was funny. Have a wonderful day!!!

6. lulu

June 19, 2014 at 7:58 am

Even better when you get to the end and see that the letter is from a girl!

June 19, 2014 at 8:53 am

That made the whole story for me. I hope you have a great day Lulu!!!

June 19, 2014 at 8:05 am

Oh my goodness! This is wonderful! Started my day off with laughter! Love the ending!

June 19, 2014 at 8:55 am

Great funny letter I thought too, Elaine. Glad you got a laugh. Have a great day!!!😀

8. Sheila

June 19, 2014 at 8:19 am

That was great, but I sure didn’t expect it to be a girl! Kind of reminded me of the Beverly Hillbillies.

June 19, 2014 at 8:56 am

Being a girl made the whole story I thought. She could have been Ellie Mae. I hadn’t thought of that. Lol

• Sheila

June 19, 2014 at 8:57 am

We watch The Beverly Hills on DVD with our grandkids, and they love it! That’s what made me think of it. 🙂

June 19, 2014 at 8:59 am

Ok. I still watch Andy Griffith almost every night. I know the words to almost all of them. 😀

• Sheila

June 19, 2014 at 9:06 am

They like that too, but we weren’t able to find as many of those DVDs in the dollar bins on our stateside visits!

9. msauthorette

June 19, 2014 at 9:32 am

I giggled so much when I read this! 😛 Thanks for sharing!

June 19, 2014 at 10:05 am

Lol. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I liked it to Kristina. Have a great day!!!

10. beverley

June 19, 2014 at 9:56 am

And that’s just the girls haha!

I think the thing that seems to happen a lot when people know i am from England is that i know everyone. I know i live on a little island compared to the US but no, i don’t know everyone, not even in my own city. And yes we do have television, and telephones, and running water, and indoor toilets, and computers, and satellite TV – if you want it 🙂 Other people are so funny sometimes 🙂

June 19, 2014 at 10:09 am

I agree. I’m glad you told me you are from England. I didn’t realize that. If I didn’t live in the US England is where I would want to live. Have a great day Beverley!!!😀

11. Shawny Lou

June 19, 2014 at 10:37 am

I’m glad you posted this. Great … and surprising ending! LOL! 🙂

12. johnmarkmiller

June 19, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Okay, now that made me laugh out loud! Glad you shared!

June 19, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Good. I’ve never posted anything like this and was hesitant about it. I think it’s been received okay. Thanks John.

June 19, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Sure sounds like a Tn. hillbilly to me! lololo (I’m in Ga. so we always blame Ala. or Tn.) Loved the surprise ending. You did good, Levi! 🙂

June 19, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Glad you liked it Sue. It could be Tn. and I agree it sounds more hillbilly. Have a great day !!!

14. Anna

June 19, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Levi, what a wonderful post! As I was reading, I was thinking of people I know and my family. Loved the surprise ending! Thanks for the laugh! 🙂

June 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it Anna. I hope you are doing better? 😄

• Anna

June 19, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Yes. Thanks. I’m getting stronger every day. 😊

15. sheridegrom - From the literary and legislative trenches.

June 19, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Levi: This is a perfect blog and coming on the flip side of Emily Grace’s blog of women taking up the slack in farming, this is perfect. Being a ‘farm girl’ myself, I honestly ‘get’ this one. My secretary had stationary and note pads made up for me that were outside of the approved Department of Defense channels in DC. I always used them when sending anything to ‘the Hill’ or other departments that wanted to be rigid. The top read, “You are not dealing with an ordinary Cowley County Farm Girl.” Along the left margin she ran a picture of a prairie woman carrying a rifle!

16. Dane Tyler

June 19, 2014 at 5:04 pm

THAT…was unbelievably AWESOME.

June 19, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it Dane. I thought it was hilarious myself. Thanks and come again!!

17. beenough

June 19, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Haha… I laughed the whole way through, especially when I saw Alice. Life sure is about perspective.

June 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm

It is indeed. I loved it too. Thanks for reblogging it!!!😀

18. beenough

June 19, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Reblogged this on "Be" ENOUGH and commented:
    Be Laughing… This was a great pick me up for today. Thank you dear Levi.

19. tonyroberts64

June 19, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Good clean fun (except the “slopping the hogs” part). I’m going to send a link to this to a friend who has a future son-in-law in boot camp.

June 19, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I thought it was great to Tony. It should be funny to your friend but his future s-i-l probably won’t get to see it until he’s out of boot camp. My boy, Levi II, was a Marine. I’ll talk to him tomorrow and see what he says. Lol.

20. Men of One Accord

June 19, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Live, I am a country boy who ran a trp line in the winter I always checked it before school. It was only about two mile walk to the start of the trap line and it only ran for ten miles. I can relate to this letter, I join the Marines out of High School. Thanks for the laugh! God Bless!

June 19, 2014 at 8:26 pm

You can relate to it then. It was hilarious to me when I found out it was a girl. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Our son joined the Marines as well 8 days after 911 and served 5 years. Thanks for your service!!!!

June 20, 2014 at 3:37 am

My appreciation for the South’s contribution to the Marine Corps began when I was a kid in Marine Military Academy. I’m a city kid and have always been amazed at those from the South and Mid-West that were very resourceful. I laughed with the last part about the guy’s size. I myself am a small guy and typically the smallest guy wherever I went. I went into boot camp being 5’5 in height and 118 lbs.

June 20, 2014 at 6:33 am

SJ, you may have missed the very last. It wasn’t a guy but a “daughter named Alice”. That was the punch line .

June 20, 2014 at 10:06 am

I’m glad you got a belly laugh out of this one. I thought it was funny myself. Thanks for the ping back. Have a great week end!!!

22. Susan Irene Fox

June 21, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Levi, just now read this at the end of my “work day.” Quite funny; loved the surprise ending. Great way to end my writing day. Thank you for the laugh.

June 21, 2014 at 5:25 pm

You’re welcome Susan. I thought it was very funny too. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!! 😀

June 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Ok, I have it and read it. You did good. I hope I can find 3 people who would like to do it. I’ve been turned down so far.

June 23, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Sheila, before I send this out next week I’m going to have to ask you some questions of how to it. Also, how do you do this pingbacks(

23. charlypriest

June 26, 2014 at 6:47 am

ha ha Levi, this was some funny stuff. City boys…. seemed to be having a vacation over there. About the shooting keeping getting medals…. and I just went for a re read and realised it´s your daughter? A woman? Doesn´t get better than that. That´s for sure that if you don´t have a sense of humour you´d probably be…not doing to well to say the least.

24. The Lazurus Project

June 27, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Makes me wish I wasn’t one of those pansy city boys, although my neighborhood was pretty tough. But I was too smart to join the Marines. My uncle told me their main job is killing folks. So, I took the pansy way out and sat at a desk four years in the Air Force. I don’t know what would have been worse, killing folks, or folks trying to kill me. War ain’t everything it’s cracked up to be, even for your daughter. .

June 27, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Lol. This is not my daughter. It’s just a funny story one of my friends sent me. War is never good for anyone, I agree. I didn’t get my number drawn during my drafting age and I sure wasn’t going to join.