A Woman’s War !!!!!!

21 Jun
A Woman’s War !!!!!!

The Lord shall sell Sisera into the hand of a woman. (Judges 4:9)

Rather an unusual text, but there may be souls in the world that may have faith enough to grasp it. Barak, the man, though called to the war, had little stomach for the fight unless Deborah would go with him, and so the Lord determined to make it a woman’s war. By this means He rebuked the slackness of the man, gained for Himself the more renown, and cast the more shame upon the enemies of His people.

The Lord can still use feeble instrumentalities. Why not me? He may use persons who are not commonly called to great public engagements. Why not you? The woman who slew the enemy of Israel was no Amazon but a wife who tarried in her tent. She was no orator but a woman who milked the cows and made butter. May not the Lord use any one of us to accomplish His purpose? Somebody may come to the house today, even as Sisera came to Jael’s tent. Be it ours not to slay him, but to save him. Let us receive him with great kindness and then bring forth the blessed truth of salvation by the Lord Jesus, our great Substitute, and press home the command “Believe and live.” Who knoweth but some stout-hearted sinner may be slain by the gospel today!

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “A Woman’s War !!!!!!

1. geoffhorswood

June 21, 2014 at 5:31 am

Deborah, Barak and Jael are some of my favourite Old Testament characters, but I have a slightly different take on them than Spurgeon seems to. Maybe I’ll blog about it some time soon.
    Have a good Saturday morning, Levi

June 21, 2014 at 6:28 am

That would be interesting Geoff. I look forward to reading them. Thanks and I hope your is a good one as well. I’ll be in as my asthma is playing havoc on me since I returned from Ca. with all the humidity.

2. mamasongs

June 21, 2014 at 6:46 am

Who knows whom God will choose to work in His plan to save souls? There is much we do not know about Him and His ways and yet we must always be ready to receive instruction. I liked this. God Bless Levi. Feel better.

June 21, 2014 at 9:31 am

Hi Katie, I’m glad you liked this. So true, God uses some of the least suspecting people at times. That He uses any of us is amazing to me. Thanks for your well wish. I’ve had to start my meds again. It hasn’t been a very good week health wise, to be honest, but I’ll be fine.

I liked your post this morning a lot. I totally agree that we need to enjoy the moment. We’ve all been guilty of looking to the future and not enjoying what we have now. Granddaughter Alyson was 9 yesterday and was talking of being older and I told her to enjoy being 9 and not to worry about being older. We all get there soon enough with all of the changes it requires. Be well. Lord bless you!!! 😀😀

June 21, 2014 at 8:19 am

This is so true. He will use those that seem the least likely, like me. I hope you feel better soon, Levi.

June 21, 2014 at 9:38 am

Sue, it’s amazing that God uses any of us really. I’m amazed by Him so much in the means He uses. Thanks for your well wishes. My asthma has flared up on me this week and knocked me down. Have a great week end!!! 😀

4. Debbie

June 21, 2014 at 8:36 pm

So encouraging, Levi! Thank you!

June 22, 2014 at 1:48 am

Providence…I’m about to read Judges 4 for my evening devotional!

June 22, 2014 at 7:53 am

That’s neat. I would say “providence”. Have a great Sunday with God’s power upon you as you preach/teach His Word.