The Transitions of Life !!!!!!

25 Jun

reflection2

This morning (Sunday) I was reading the 90th Psalm. The theme of this Psalm is that God is eternal and man is in transition. It seems like but a few days ago that I was a young boy playing and running having a good time without a care in the world; and today I am a 61 year old grandfather. I have completed most of the transitions of my earthly life. Time has flown by so quickly!

Our life is really a journey that is soon to be over no matter your age. James refers to life as a vapor which rises for awhile and then is gone. Our little lifetime, oh, how short it is. My long-time deceased neighbor, Will Rogers said, “it’s for sure there ain’t none of us gettin out alive”, and I want to add, unless The Lord returns first.

Now, I don’t want you to have the impression that I’m ready to die, or think that I am about to. I am very healthy except for my terrible allergies and the problems they cause. I really am looking forward to my final years whether they be 10 years or 40 years. All of the concerns that were so important in the middle part of my life have been completed. The wants and needs have changed so much from those early years that they are almost unrecognizable. I can honestly say that there is not a single material thing that I want; and it’s not because I have everything. The Lord has changed my wants.

My life now revolves entirely around ministry to our Lord and the people that I love and serve. I’ve never felt freer to do the Lord’s work in my entire life because I am answering only to Him, and not worrying about what another single person, denomination, or organization thinks. I am still accountable to my local church, which is as it should be. I am not under any time constraints to not be able to do anything a loved one or anyone else may need or want.

So how do I want to finish my days upon this earth? It’s for sure I don’t want to be a grumpy, bitter old man. I have known many in my day and by God’s grace I will be the opposite. I want to be a sweet, kind, loving, helpful person that can be a blessing to many.

As I was reading Psalm 90 this morning it made me want to study what a happy, joyful old-age looks like from a biblical perspective. Over the next few weeks I would like to share with you what I have learned. Again, you won’t have to be old for any of these things to apply to you.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on June 25, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

54 responses to “The Transitions of Life !!!!!!

1. Nate

June 25, 2014 at 4:48 am

The best days are yet to come!

June 25, 2014 at 6:27 am

I think and hope so Nate. Thanks my friend and have a great day!

June 25, 2014 at 5:20 am

Great post! Looking forward to more. Cannot imagine you being a grump?

June 25, 2014 at 6:26 am

Thanks Elaine. I’m not a grump and don’t want to be. Lol. Hopefully I can dig up some good stuff to share.

• Elaine

June 25, 2014 at 9:05 am

I have no doubt that you will find a lotof great stuff to share, Levi.

3. atimetoshare

June 25, 2014 at 6:21 am

Levi, you are just a young whippersnapper. God has given me 11 years more than you. Isn’t it amazing how he continues to use our old bodies and minds for his purpose and glory! Excuse me, I’m going to read Psalm 90 now. Have a great day!

June 25, 2014 at 6:25 am

Lol. No matter how I slice it I’m no Spring-chicken Kathy. It’s a good Psalm. Enjoy it and your day!!!

4. lulu

June 25, 2014 at 7:32 am

Since aging is part of life, we might as well do it with grace.

5. Heather

June 25, 2014 at 8:23 am

Ahhh Levi! This is so true! I had to go study on Psalm 90 after reading this! You’ve successfully summed up how I want to live as well : ) V. 17 was probably my favorite: May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us– yes, establish the work of our hands.
    So glad that you’ve found the center of His will for you where you can serve and love and give! I pray the same for all of us. Have a wonderful day and thanks for sharing!

June 25, 2014 at 9:09 am

Heather, thank you for the very thoughtful words. Even though you’re still a baby, to grow in grace is wonderful. May The Lord bless us as we make the transitions. Have a great day!!!

6. PASTOR DAVIS/MASTER TEACHER

June 25, 2014 at 8:49 am

Amen, truly awesome thoughts my brother. I will be looking forward with great joy to reading your reflections. May God enrich your thoughts and provide you with much wisdom and knowledge as you enter into this study session.

June 25, 2014 at 9:25 am

Thank you Pastor. I know I won’t find that I’m suppose to sit in a rocking chair. Lol. Have a great day!

7. Andy Oldham

June 25, 2014 at 8:55 am

I appreciate you Levi! Blessings!

8. Stacy Tolbert

June 25, 2014 at 9:05 am

I appreciate your dedication and service to the Kingdom of our God, and I thank you for sharing your wisdom.
    May God continue to use you greatly, and richly Bless you for your dedicated service my brother.

9. james1948

June 25, 2014 at 9:17 am

Accountability to the local church, quaint but very Biblical. I like that thought.

June 25, 2014 at 9:48 am

I’m glad you like that thought. It’s very Biblical to be under the authority of their church I think. Get some ready Brother.

10. linda parvin hutchinson

June 25, 2014 at 9:57 am

There are two things you wrote that really resonate with me. The first, “The Lord has changed my wants”. This is so true for many of us. What was once so important to us now seems so insignificant. The other was: ” I want to be a sweet, kind, loving, helpful person that can be a blessing to many”. This is your mission statement and one that I highly admire. Job well done on the blog on our your goals.

June 25, 2014 at 10:37 am

Thank you Linda. Yes, this is my mission statement I suppose. May we both grow in grace as we age!! Have a great day🍦

11. insideheathershead

June 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm

What a wonderfully relevant and poignant post, Levi. I notice that as the years pass, things that used to “matter” now seem almost trivial. Your words prompted me to read Psalm 90 with a sense of remembering my past and embracing what lies ahead. Only God knows the path He has laid before me, but I am learning to trust Him with every step.

“Teach us to realize the brevity of life,
    so that we may grow in wisdom.”

As a Master Gardener, I imagine that word “grow” resonates deeply with you. To truly facilitate a plant’s growth requires patience, endurance, knowing the plant’s “needs” and limitations and then creating an environment that is conducive to growth. But no matter how lovingly and tenderly you care for the plant, sometimes its roots just never got established, or it is highly susceptible to disease or damage, so the plant remains stunted or stagnant, or it simply fades away.

I like thinking of God as THE Master Gardner and I imagine He cares for us tenderly and lovingly. We just need to make sure our roots are planted firmly in Him and that we are grafted into His tree, so that we can grow in wisdom and strength.

Thank you so much, Levi, for offering us your wisdom. I bet God smiles when He sees your growth. Blessings to you, my Oklahoma friend.

June 25, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Thank you for your very great comment and I couldn’t agree more with everything you said. Heather, I consider you a very wise Christian gal whom I respect and thank The Lord for. Blessings to you.

12. johnmarkmiller

June 25, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Great post! Love the maturity, and LOVE the picture!

June 25, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Every grandad should know a grandad like you. Beautiful Levi. 🙂

June 25, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Thanks Paul, but maybe more like you!!! 😀

• paulfg

June 26, 2014 at 4:16 am

🙂 Let’s share the Love!! 🙂

June 26, 2014 at 6:18 am

That’s the time. We will share it. Who ever thought of that idea? Lol… 😀

14. mwitasblog

June 25, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Lovely!

June 25, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Thank you very much. You’re most kind!!!!

• mwitasblog

June 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm

You sound as young as a 30-year old. I will follow in your footsteps.

June 25, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I’m pretty spry. Lol follow The Lord though and not me. He’s our Example. Have a great day.

15. catholicguyxl

June 25, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I love this post! Now that I’m 40, it’s good to hear from someone who’s experienced the next 20 years .

June 25, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I’m glad you liked it and hopefully something good you may glean from it. Now I’m looking forward to the next 20. Should be the best yet. Blessings my friend!!!

16. Garden Walk Garden Talk

June 25, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Although I am younger than you, I am at the point of questioning life as well. “The wants and needs have changed so much from those early years that they are almost unrecognizable. I can honestly say that there is not a single material thing that I want; and it’s not because I have everything.” I feel very similar. I buy only what is needed and my needs have been reduced substantially. I realized a few years ago that “stuff” is not life or the makings of a better life. “Stuff” holds one back from experiencing life. All I want is my senses, two hands to create, and two legs to take me places and I will be happy into old age. My health is not so great right now, but it still does not stop me, and that is all that matters to me.

June 25, 2014 at 5:19 pm

It’s amazing how it just hits you, isn’t it? It’s not that I’m against buying things as I just don’t really want anything. What you said your wants are is also how I feel. Life is so much more than things as you said. Thank you for your great comment! Have a nice evening.

June 25, 2014 at 5:56 pm

This was an encouraging read (by the way 61 to me does not seem that old!). I think it definitely puts in perspective of what matters most. I hope the older I get the more I can serve the Lord effectively and faithfully!

June 25, 2014 at 6:12 pm

It’s not that I think I’m so old but I do have some maturity. Some start thinking different around this age. I actually have been this way since I was 55. I’ve noticed so many my age though still chasing the dollar and prestige.

18. tonyroberts64

June 25, 2014 at 6:22 pm

You know, I just turned 50 this month and I can honestly say I am only beginning to enter the best phase of my life. I don’t regret what I can no longer do physically. I feel I am like a vineyard that has been properly pruned, that my life will be more fruitful in the coming years than during my time of wasted youth.

June 25, 2014 at 6:25 pm

This is a blessing to look at it this way Tony (not Richard). And I think you are looking at it right. Glad to know this,

19. Denine Taylor

June 25, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Sounds like your building up treasures in heaven. (good plan!) Looking forward to your posts!

20. Moore to ponder

June 25, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I just loved this! I am so happy for you that you have this desire that the Lord has placed in your heart. I am looking forward to reading the posts to come.

Blessings,
    Theresa

June 26, 2014 at 6:15 am

Thank you Theresa. Let’s see what The Lord teaches me in the Word. Lord bless you!!!

21. Dr. Diana

June 26, 2014 at 2:38 am

I liked this post. It seems that you are so kind person with lovely heart. I am waiting for more posts from your side.

~Diana

June 26, 2014 at 6:17 am

Thanks Diana for the very kind words. I will be reporting back on this. Have a great day!!!

22. charlypriest

July 5, 2014 at 5:18 am

Na, I don´t see you as a grumpy old man. No way, that would actually be a disappointment.

23. charlypriest

July 5, 2014 at 5:20 am

I did not say “old man”, I said “mature man”, it was the computer that autocorrect it…..

24. wisediscerner

July 6, 2014 at 7:21 am

I was telling my husband just the other day that I don’t have any desires for anything, any material things, that is. What you said, about “the Lord changing your desires,” this is exactly the way I feel! I want to devote all my time doing what I can to please God. I just turned 56 in June, and I’ve never felt such an urgency to get God’s Word out as I do now. Thank you for sharing this. God bless you!

July 6, 2014 at 7:25 am

Isn’t it amazing how The Lord changes your desires at different times in your life? I have literally woken up one morning and my desires were permanently changed without even thinking about it beforehand. As Paul said, He is working in us both to will and do of His good pleasure. Have a blessed day my friend!!!