J.I. Packer on Patience !!!!!!

26 Jun

“Patience . . . is a habit of mind and heart that grows out of inner peace. Patience trusts God to be at work even in the frustrating events of life, whether it is engorged traffic or crying babies or implacable vendettas or a seemingly unending series of personal disasters. Patience thinks before speaking, aiming to avoid offending. Patience wills the self to see the world from someone else’s perspective – and to walk with that person through their world. Patience is rooted in hope because ‘if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience’ (Rom. 8:25). Patience takes the long view; unfazed by short-term setbacks, it will carry on unruffled instead giving up in despair. Patience accepts God’s timing and responds to others in a way that reflects the patience God has toward us. ‘With the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord . . . is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance’ (2 Peter 3:8-9). Patience sees today in the perspective of eternity – and so can laugh” (Guard Us, Guide Us, 70).

Posted by on June 26, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

19 responses to “J.I. Packer on Patience !!!!!!

1. Mel

June 26, 2014 at 5:55 am

Levi, I needed this reminder today! Very TIMELY

2. Cynthia Reyes

June 26, 2014 at 9:02 am

I love this, Levi. Thank you.
    It is so challenging to be patient in truly tough times. And yet patience – like faith – is needed then, most of all.

June 26, 2014 at 9:45 am

Ye it is Cynthia not always easy but it is something The Lord can patiently teach us. I hope you have a great day. Thanks for your great comment!!

3. Stacy Tolbert

June 26, 2014 at 10:34 am

The old saying: patience is a virtue never really took root in me until I read about God’s patience with us, His children. God’s patience with me inspired me to exercises my patience towards others. I have not yet perfected this art, but still a conscious work in progress. Thank you brother Levi.

June 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm

We are still all working on it Stacy. It doesn’t come that easy for us sinners. We are all a work in progress, thanks my man!!!

4. sporterhall

June 26, 2014 at 11:54 am

I hope you don’t mind that I shared this on Twitter Levi! Such an awesome reminder of the calming beauty of patience and that we all could exercise it a bit more in our daily lives! 🙂

June 26, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Hey Sylvia, you can have or share anything I have. Thanks for doing it. Hope your day is good!!!

• sporterhall

June 26, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Thank you so much Levi! I will share the piece on Friday and thanks so much for being so gracious. Sorry my comment is so late. Just came from a wonderful Jazz Festival that is taking place here now through Saturday! Hope you had a good day!

• sporterhall

June 27, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Hello Levi, I was looking for the ‘reblog’ button on your blog but don’t find one. I want to re-blog your piece on Patience. Maybe it’s because all of your posts follow one behind the other, so it doesn’t allow the ‘reblog’ option for that reason maybe? Just a guess. If you know of a way I can do this, please let me know. Thank you!

June 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hey Girl. You can reblog. SeverL did yesterday. Click on that post and towards the bottom you should find it. If not let me know. Thank you!

• sporterhall

June 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Ok…I will try that and let you know. You’re welcome!

• sporterhall

June 27, 2014 at 1:52 pm

When I go into the post of your grandson’s wedding, I see the ‘reblog’ button clearly at the top. However when I go into the archives for June 2014 and click on a post, I get a whole list of consecutive posts and no reblog button at the top, bottom,etc…Help….

June 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I see what you are saying. It’s suppose to be by the like button. Let me work on it and I’ll let you know.

• sporterhall

June 27, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Thanks so much Levi! I will be watching and waiting. 🙂

5. JennG

June 26, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Hi Levi…again, one of those moments I needed to be reading. A great reminder for the season I am in right now…Thanking God He knows how to use your passion for His word! Have a great day…

June 26, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I’m glad it fitting your bill. Lol. That’s why we do what we do. Be careful and a nice afternoon/evening to you, Jenn. 😀

June 26, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Reblogged this on Elaine's Random Thoughts and commented:
    Great reminder for me and others I am sure. Thank you for sharing it on your blog Levi!

June 27, 2014 at 2:31 am

Patience is something to always work on in my life it seems =)