Give A Smile, Get A Hug !!!!!!

27 Jun

This week I worked Tuesday and Wednesday in the Master Gardener office at the Tulsa County Extension office. I had the most unusual situation yet since I’ve been working there. Our whole purpose for being in the office is to assist the public in their questions, and or problems, within their gardens, lawns, pastures, trees, insect problems, etc. We typically have several walk-ins a day, several emails, and many phone calls.

I rarely look at the schedule to see who the other two Master Gardeners I will be working with. This morning I worked with two who are in their 80s. Their age wasn’t the problem. They are very nice people and I enjoy working with them, but I’ve never worked with both at the same time. You see, they both have physical impairments, and neither will do emails and really will only use books for any research they may have to do. I understand this with their age, but it is a handicap for dealing with a volume of people quickly.

To top this all off, one of the workers is almost totally deaf. So, you can see where I am going with this. Not only no computer work, or one on one work, but no phone work either. These are the only three things we do in the office! I have to say, I never lost my cool, in fact, I didnt even get a wee bit perturbed. I actually laughed about it. Bless her heart! She was there to help but couldn’t offer any, and she actually required it. It pretty much defeated her purpose for being there, but we got through it just fine.

So, what are the lessons here? Let’s see:

1) They both are inspirational to me because they
still have the drive and spunk to want to help in
spite of their limitations. Many an able-bodied person won’t.

2)  My J.I. Packer post yesterday was on patience.
When I was younger I didn’t have a lot of
patience. This incident taught me that God
has been working in me more than I realized
in this regard. I’m thankful for that.

3)  Probably the most important thing is that I was
able to bless them. Even such a slight thing as
being kind to them and helping them and even
laughing with them (not at them) was a blessing
to each one. They knew what was going on. They
realized the situation for what it was. We made the best of it.

Paul’s words to the Ephesians sprung into my mind at the very first of this ordeal.

“And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you” (Eph. 4:32).

May we all continue to grow in grace and love, not forgetting that God has done the same for us.

Now, how do I know that I was a blessing to them both? Because they told me so; and to top it all off I received two big hugs. What else could be better, a hug for a smile. Good trade off if you ask me.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on June 27, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

35 responses to “Give A Smile, Get A Hug !!!!!!

1. InfiniteZip

June 27, 2014 at 4:50 am

Wonderful take away my friend. Hugs are priceless, understanding and kindness, even more so:)

June 27, 2014 at 5:32 am

There are times I just chuckle with affection. Today I am chuckling. Thank you.

June 27, 2014 at 7:58 am

I’m glad Paul. Hope you chuckle all day! Have a great one!!

3. atimetoshare

June 27, 2014 at 6:19 am

I read somewhere that in order for people to flourish, it’s important to receive at least five hugs a day. I’ve told that to my students and have received more than my share of hugs throughout my life. It’s obvious that you know how to encourage a hug or two. Thanks for brightening my day.

June 27, 2014 at 7:57 am

I’m glad you liked it Kathy. There is much to the story I wouldn’t tell which made it more interesting but I learned some things and got hugs. Good day it was!! Have a great day!!!

4. lulu

June 27, 2014 at 6:23 am

The hugs made the day more than worthwhile.

5. Ajaytao2010

June 27, 2014 at 6:33 am

Nice reading about you
    Thanks for visiting my blog. Be in touch. Browse through the category sections, I feel you may find something of your interest.

Please visit my new blog, hope you like it 🙂

June 27, 2014 at 7:38 am

I will find something I like I’m sure. I really like your photos too. Come again and we will be in touch.

Have a great day!

• Ajaytao2010

June 27, 2014 at 7:45 am

6. james1948

June 27, 2014 at 7:34 am

The good Lord never quits working on us. Some respond and others do not. A compelling tale.

June 27, 2014 at 8:14 am

Good morning! Yes, the process continues for which I am thankful. Thanks brother and have a great day!

7. Paige Hamilton

June 27, 2014 at 9:21 am

Mr. Levi … we have yet another thing in common! No, I’m not a Master Gardener, but I do know all about that program. In my working days, I was a 4-H Extension Agent with the LSU Extension Office. I always loved the Master Gardener program. It’s a great way to volunteer … and I am sure you were a blessing to many that day, and not just your two co-workers. So glad God sent you in to join them, otherwise just imagine what sort of chaos might have happened should no one have been there to answer the phone or do computer research!

June 27, 2014 at 10:04 am

Paige, the MG program has been a real blessing for several reasons. Since most are retired there are some pretty old people around. Very few are under 60. I’m one of the mentors there so there are few things I have to research which makes things go faster. Especially this time of year. It all worked out with no complications. It was a good day just an unusual one. We have the 4H in our building as well. They are great organization. Have a great day!!

June 27, 2014 at 10:15 am

Hi Levi: For some reason this doesn’t surprise me about you from the short time I’ve been reading your posts. You are a blessing in your writings and I’m not surprised that you would be a blessing to others off the computer. You deserved those hugs. But now admit it, you did get a teeny tiny bit frustrated at times. lol

June 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hey Sue, lol, I would have admitted it up front. To be honest, it was so cute all I could do was laugh about it to myself. The other thing is it was all manageable, but not the most efficient. A few years ago I would not have been so understanding. Plus, I don’t get paid the big bucks for nothing. Lol.. It’s all volunteer freebie stuff. Have a great weekend Sue. 😀

9. Sheila

June 27, 2014 at 10:42 am

Great post, Levi–and a lesson we all need to remember in our lives! A thought came to mind–if the Lord allows, and we live to such a ripe old age, we could end up in their boat. How would we like others to treat us? I hope the Lord the puts someone like you on my path then!

June 27, 2014 at 10:47 am

That was exactly my thought the whole way through that process, Sheila. I want nice people and NO nursing homes!!! Lol

• Sheila

June 27, 2014 at 10:49 am

Yes, or at least nice people in the nursing homes!

June 27, 2014 at 11:11 am

Wonderful uplifting post Levi! What a blessing you are my friend. You made me smile today just reading this post!

11. sporterhall

June 27, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Look at God work Levi! Isn’t it so beautiful how He makes such wonderful changes in us without us even noticing until we find ourselves in these kinds of instances? To God be the glory! Have a great day Levi!

June 27, 2014 at 12:54 pm

He gets the glory, not me. That’s for sure. Have a great dAy my friend.

12. Megan

June 27, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Loved this!

June 27, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I’m so glad you did. Thanks for the encouragement Megan. Have a great weekend!!! 😃

13. Pocketful of Motherhood

June 27, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Great story Levi! Awesome that you were a blessing to them and hugs are just icing on the cake! Blessings, Hannah

June 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Thanks, Hannah. It was awkward for them since they realized the situation all too well. I appreciate your encouragement!! Lord bless you!!!

14. theenglishrose2014

June 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Precious! Ah, the frailty of our humanity! 😉

June 27, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Yes it is, and one day we may be there in the same condition. Hope you’re doing good!!😀

• theenglishrose2014

June 29, 2014 at 4:29 pm

So true. They say to be patient with the very young and the very old, for some day, we will have been both! 😉 Doing well by God’s grace, thank you!

15. Cynthia Reyes

June 27, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I love this, Levi. A real inspiration.

June 27, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Thank you Cynthia. Hope is is going well with you!!!

16. vw1212