To Be Free As An Eagle !!!!!!

01 Jul

SOARING%20EAGLE-1000%20pixels%20wide

Have you ever wished that you could fly like the birds of the sky? I know I have. Sitting and watching the birds soar into the sky and some diving with precision, while yet others effortlessly hover looking for prey makes me want to see things from their perspective. They seem so free. The Psalmist said “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would flee far away…” (Psalm 55:8).

It wasn’t until 1903 that the Wright brothers succeeded in flying the first powered plane. No matter how sophisticated and brilliant man thinks that he is modern aircraft pale in comparison to the flight of birds. The birds precision flying is due to their light skeleton of hollow bones, the streamlined body that they possess and their flexible wings whose feathers can work independently. There is nothing man-made that can compare to God’s perfect blueprint.

As we are coming upon Independence Day here in the U.S. I’m thinking of the bald eagle. The bald eagle is what I would call a noble bird. It is America’s national bird. It didn’t become our national bird until 6 years after the Declaration of Independence was signed, in 1782. Everyone in Congress didn’t agree. I suppose some things never change. Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be our national bird. He said that it was much more respectable than the bald eagle.

I was on my road a few months ago, almost home. I wasn’t going fast but I had failed to see the bald eagle majestically perched on my pasture fence. I slowed my jeep down and slowly backed up to get a picture, but off it flew just as I was able to get my camera out. The bald eagle I would say is a very handsome bird. It really isn’t bald at all but gets its name because the white feathers on its head; its tail is white as well against a dark brown body with yellow eyes. The bald eagle displays pride and independence.

There is a real notion today in the world that human beings are as free as the birds and that we can do or go anywhere we please through self-actualization. This is even taught in many churches. Here is a definition of self-actualization: the achievement of one’s full potential through creativity, independence, spontaneity, and a grasp of the real world. Sound familiar?

The biblical road to freedom though is the complete opposite. True freedom is not freedom from responsibility to God and others in order to live life on our terms; it is the freedom from preoccupation with ourselves, in order to live for God and others. Jesus taught us that the way to self-discovery is self-denial. If we keep insisting on living for ourselves, we will lose ourselves. It is only if we are willing to lose ourselves in loving that we will truly find ourselves. We must die to self-centeredness if we really want to live. This is completely contrary to the philosophy of the world and many self-help religions.

It is interesting to me that the Bible’s symbol of true freedom is the eagle.The false gospel teaches that man can lift himself up to unknown heights, but the true Gospel of Christ tells us that He is the One that lifts us up. In Scripture we don’t learn of self-effort but of salvation. The picture that the eagle shows us is not the constant flapping of its wings, but the spreading of it’s wings to catch the wind and effortlessly soar into the sky.

God asked Job the question “does the eagle soar at your command, and build its nest on high”? (Job 39:27). The answer is no. We don’t command the flight of any birds, let alone the eagle. The flight of the eagle is beyond human understanding and control. In Proverbs 30:18-19 the wise man stated that there were 4 things too amazing for him to understand; one of them was the way of the eagle in the sky.

In spite of the eagle’s flight, it continues to be a symbol of strength. I think it shows us the saving power of God, both as shown with the nation Israel, and individuals as well. God described His rescue of the Israelites from their bondage in Egypt; He said He carried them on eagles wings and brought them to Himself (Exodus 19:4). When His own people are conscious of their own weakness, they can have no bigger desire than to “soar on wings like an eagle” (Isaiah 40:31). This isn’t by self-effort, but by waiting patiently on the Lord, and putting their trust in Him.

My favorite preacher of all time, C.H. Spurgeon, stated this so eloquently to a group of his students:

“Brothers, your failure, if you fail, will begin in your faith. The air says to the eagle, “Trust me; spread thy broad wings; I will bear thee up to the sun. Only trust me. Take thy foot from off the rock which thou canst feel beneath thee. Get away from it, and be buoyed up by the unseen element”. My brethren, eagles of heaven, mount aloft, for God invites you. Mount! You have but to trust Him”. ( An All-Round Ministry, pg. 29 )

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on July 1, 2014 in Birds, Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

48 responses to “To Be Free As An Eagle !!!!!!

July 1, 2014 at 4:51 am

“eagles of heaven” – what a gorgeous phrase!

You brought to mind some very european eagles in Spain, in the mountains. Back and forth, majestic, effortless. And then latched it (effortlessly) to living faith. Brilliant Levi! Thank you! Eagles of Heaven … 🙂

July 1, 2014 at 9:44 am

Let’s be some of those eagles Paul. Thanks my friend. Hope you have a great evening! 😀😃

2. Skye

July 1, 2014 at 4:54 am

What a wonderful post, Dear Levi. I am so concerned with how “self” is always at the forefront of every conversation now. Yes, even in churches. I am going to read this to my children as part of our devotions. Learning to die to self early can save a lifetime of regret and heartache, I am sure. I wish I had been taught in those ways. Well done, as always!!

July 1, 2014 at 9:43 am

Good morning Skye. Self is our biggest problem. It’s a daily struggle for us all. I hope you’re doing well. Have a great day! 😀

3. Ron Whited

July 1, 2014 at 5:10 am

Excellent as usual Levi. Love love love the Spurgeon quite at the end! Now if we would let go of the things that have us tethered to the ground we too could soar to new heights in Christ.
    Be blessed and have a wonderful day.

Ron

July 1, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks so much Ron. You have a great day as well. I appreciate you brother!

4. Karen Pickering

July 1, 2014 at 5:25 am

Beautiful post. Thank you.

5. atimetoshare

July 1, 2014 at 6:30 am

The eagle holds so much great imagery – being in the shelter of its wings, soaring like they do, reaching the heights of heaven and on and on. Thank you.

July 1, 2014 at 9:37 am

The pleasure is mine and thank you. Have a great day. 😀

6. Lilka Raphael

July 1, 2014 at 6:36 am

Thanks for lifting me up a bit higher this morning. Loved this post!

July 1, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’m so glad you did. You and I seem to hit on nature a lot and their analogies. I think it’s great. Thanks for your kindness!!

7. Karina Susanto

July 1, 2014 at 6:44 am

Dear brother Levi
    What a wonderful post. I always fascinated when someone talk about Eagle. There are many symbol of Eagle that we could get. Thank you for sharing a wonderful thought. Many blessings to you.
    🙂

July 1, 2014 at 9:35 am

Thanks so much for your kind words, Karina. The eagle is a symbol of many qualities biblical for sure. Have a nice evening. Thanks and Lord bless you! 🙂

8. Julie Harris

July 1, 2014 at 7:48 am

“True freedom…is the freedom from preoccupation with ourselves”…so true!! More of Him and less of me 🙂

July 1, 2014 at 9:33 am

That’s the way. Very opposite of the world. I appreciate you Julie!

9. Anonymous

July 1, 2014 at 8:29 am

Awesome post. Wonderful words of truth. My soul is uplifted this morning. Thank you Levi. Also brought my Dad to mind this morning. He had an eagle room with everything eagle and of course his favorite verse posted from Isaiah.

July 1, 2014 at 9:07 am

Thanks so much. It’s wonderful to have great memories of your Dad from the truth of God’s Word. Have a great day!

10. sporterhall

July 1, 2014 at 8:53 am

This is so beautiful Levi. Surrendering completely to the will of God. Therein lies our freedom, as that of the eagle. Blessings Levi for a wonderful day! 🙂

11. linda parvin hutchinson

July 1, 2014 at 9:08 am

What a lovely post and so true. Bravo!

12. Stacy Tolbert

July 1, 2014 at 11:08 am

Levi, the eagle is also my favorite bird. Their beauty, their strength and yes they are very majestic. One of my favorite characteristics of the eagle is their ability to fly above the storm.
    Another great post my brother, have a wonderful day.

July 1, 2014 at 11:16 am

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. A lot of lessons from the eagle to learn.

13. johnmarkmiller

July 1, 2014 at 11:36 am

Perfect patriotic post, and what a powerful quote by Spurgeon! May we all learn to trust Him enough to spread our wings and let the Wind carry us…thanks for the good word today!

July 1, 2014 at 11:47 am

Thank you John. Yours was a very good one too. A real blessing. Thanks!

14. Shawny Lou

July 1, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Thank goodness that Franklin didn’t win that argument! Can’t imagine having a turkey as our national bird! This was a great article, and what a tremendous gift that you’ve had the opportunity to see a bald eagle in nature. So many of us will never have that chance. It was great to read a little deeper into what this beautiful bird symbolizes for God’s children.

July 1, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I agree Shawny, turkey’s aren’t very smart. I’ve raised them, I appreciate your encouragement. Thanks a bunch. 😀

July 1, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Wonderful post! I absolutely love the freedom of the eagle’s flight! Isaiah 40 :31 is among my favorite verses. Thank you for your wonderfully encouraging words!

July 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm

And thank you Elaine for being one of the ones encouraging me. Lord bless you!!

16. Valerie Rutledge

July 1, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Excellent reminder! It’s easy to become almost self righteous when we experience success. The truth of the matter is, all good and perfect gifts come from the Lord and apart from Him, we have nothing. I pray the Lord keep me humble & hungry for His will for my life, on both the mountaintops & in the valleys. Bkessings, Levi!

July 1, 2014 at 3:44 pm

What you’ve said is so true. We people are a proud bunch and must always remember what you’ve said. Thanks so much. Blessings.

17. tonyroberts64

July 1, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Beautiful truth.

18. donna213

July 1, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Beautiful post and a beautiful bird. I have often thought of flying and dream it often. I can only imagine how an eagle must feel. wind beneath his wings, riding the currents of life.

July 1, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Thank you Donna. Wouldn’t it be neat to fly like an eagle? It would be amazing to view and feel the wind like it? It truly is amazing. Thanks so much!!

• donna213

July 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I want to be a hummingbird. They seem like happy birds.

July 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Lol. They are pretty and petite. They may more fit a lady. They work hard like ladies do as well. Good thought. Lol.😀

July 2, 2014 at 2:10 am

The first time I saw the Bald Eagle I was surprised at how big they were! It was kind of frightening! (this took place in Washington State).
    Good point you made about the Bible’s use of Eagle that it’s God that lifts us up, not some process of self-actualization

20. lookingthroughanotherseyes

July 2, 2014 at 3:26 am

Thank you so much for this Levi. I wonder if I may print it off and give it to somebody who I think it would help a lot right now. They don’t have the internet or access to many resources like we do. Take good care my friend. Su x

July 2, 2014 at 6:15 am

Certainly, Su. You can use anything I have any time and any way. Thank you!!

21. beverley

July 2, 2014 at 3:34 am

Scientists and mathematicians have studied birds and bird flight for years and they have come to the conclusion that they all wings need to be ‘made’ in a certain way for them to work. Every bird’s wing obeys certain laws, laws made by God.
    Have you ever watched people walk? I have and i came to the conclusion that in the absence of disability we all walk in the same way – i found it fascinating, especially when just 6 months later my ability to walk freely was taken away from me.

July 2, 2014 at 6:14 am

Thank you Beverley for the great comment. All of God’s creation are uniquely fashioned and I don’t believe man will be able to exactly emulate it. It sounds like you are feeling better since your trip. I hope so. Great day!!😃

• beverley

July 2, 2014 at 9:30 am

The lack of crazy head pills and the break from normality really did me some good. Hope you are having a good day too.

22. lookingthroughanotherseyes

July 2, 2014 at 4:01 am

Levi may I share with you a small example of my blind faith in The Lord? (incidentally, i will be writing a blog later on about why I’m taking a complete break from anything that has a screen, and why)

I’ll keep this as short as I can. In 2001 I left teaching and moved to Cornwall, the tip of south west England to work for the government setting up and running England’s first specialist respite service for children with autism and complex needs. I took an innovative approach and linked in with the education dept thus closing a glaringly obvious loophole that many abused children slipped through. After 18 months we were awarded a Centre Of Excellence status. Then, myself and some colleagues had the occupational vaccine for Hep B, it was called Engerix B and was manafactured by Glaxo Smith Kline. Within no time we were dropping like flies.

I lost my health, my career, our home, my husband lost his business and we were over the following two years left with nothing, we were homeless. We moved back to Wales and then we split up, we’ve always stayed friends.

I was diagnosed with vaccine damage, multiple sclerosis and a host of other nasty things. I didn’t go down the compensation route as the others did, it was dragging them down badly. I preferred to get up each morning with acceptance and positivity and faith.

My daughter and I rented a house up in the hills for 9 years, in a very rural little village and we moved from there back to civilisation only a last August.

I’d gone from having a great income which basically bought us whatever we wanted etc to nothing. Then at a time of financial struggles about 5 years ago, an old Aunt died and left me everything, amounting to around £80,000 and take a guess what I did?

I gave it all away, mostly to a small charity called Open Doors who do amazing work serving persecuted Christians worldwide, a good chunk to Water Aid, plus a few others, I helped my small circle of family and friends. Every time I looked at my bank balance I felt sick to the pit of my stomach and the more I looked the sicker I felt. I could not keep it while there were so many of my global brothers and sisters who needed help and I had the means to help. So, quietly I gave the whole lot away, I even forgot to buy myself the new cooker I needed.

That is true faith put into action my friend. Again I was left with nothing as I still am to this day but in my 50 years God had provided all my needs (not wants)and never let me down and I have faith that He will continue to do so, and if He doesn’t He will teach me a way to get through.

I have love in my heart, food on my table and an unshakable Faith. I know how it feels to have it all, to lose it all and to be thrown a lifeline, only to throw the lifeline back and say no, there are others who need it more than I.

My friends and family called me a fool. Maybe. It was also the greatest feeling of financial freedom I had ever known. Would I do it again, hell yes but I’d buy myself the cooker I needed too lol.

WwJD?

Blessings to you and yours my friend.
    Su x

23. JennG

July 2, 2014 at 9:02 am

Catching up on my reading this fine morning. You reminded me of all the Eagles I used to see back home. When my family and I would drive along the Island Highway (Vancouver Island British Columbia) we would look out the back window and count how many eagles we could see. That was many years ago. Now there aren’t that many. The destruction of their trees to build new highways and communities have left them no where to live. I see a couple now and then when I go home…flying over the ocean or sitting on rocks near the beach…and they are the most BEAUTIFUL birds I have ever seen. When I go home next week I will be looking for them and be thinking of how God carries us on His wings, give us strength to fly (if we just trust Him to give us the wind) Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful and blessed day!