The Sin of Self-Sufficiency !!!!!!

09 Jul

“Self-sufficiency, like self-absorption, is a no-no in the body of Christ; God will not prosper the pride of those who think they can get along without other Christians’ help. Spiritual isolationism is in his eyes not a virtue but a vice; only through mutuality of dependence, ministry and pastoral care do Christians really grow and churches really go forward.”
(J. I. Packer, Praying, 238).

Posted by on July 9, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

20 responses to “The Sin of Self-Sufficiency !!!!!!

1. donna213

July 9, 2014 at 5:56 am

Now this one surprised me. Lots to learn.

2. Arrowheart Ranch

July 9, 2014 at 7:26 am

Great post, Levi! Enjoyed it so much. It really resonates with me. Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom!

3. vw1212

July 9, 2014 at 8:50 pm

And this is the gospel truth. Hearing someone else’s testimony is a great encouragement and lesson I would not have learnt in my private devotions or isolation. vw

July 9, 2014 at 9:09 pm

So true. We are to build up each other, aren’t we!! Thanks for sharing. 😀

4. Cynthia Reyes

July 9, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Mu church parish played a large role in helping me get through some very rough times health-wise. Our family benefited greatly from their love and care. They lived their faith, and learning from them, we grew in ours.

July 9, 2014 at 9:07 pm

That’s a great testimony for your church and your family for allowing them to minister to you. Thanks for sharing this Cynthia. Cheers!!!😀

5. sage_brush

July 9, 2014 at 9:31 pm

This one hit me directly. I truly need to surrender.

July 10, 2014 at 1:15 am

I’m convinced that so much of our weaknesses is for our own good to not rely on self-sufficiency as a believer

7. Moore to ponder

July 11, 2014 at 3:34 am

Some scripture came to mind as I read this.

“9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.

10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.

11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?

12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.” Ecclesiates 4:9-12

I also remembered a passage where I believe a battle was going on, and as long as Moses could keep his hands up high it went well. When his arms grew tired Aaron and Hur held his hands up.

I am so thankful for the Family of God, both locally and online. Thank you for sharing this. This post addresses an area that has in recent years been challenging for me and my family.

Blessings,
    Theresa

8. Moore to ponder

July 11, 2014 at 9:15 pm

We’re hanging in there. I just picked another bouquet of flowers from my yard. Blue hydrangeas, coral/pink roses, red roses, and one gardenia to make it smell really pretty. We have had a ton of rain this season. 🙂