My First 24 Hours In New York City

14 Jul

image

I’ve now been in New York City for 26 hours and the time has gone by very quickly. I’m staying just a building away from 31st and Park Ave. in the mission building. There are now 39 of us in the Behold Your God NYC campaign that last the entire month of July. The environment is very dynamic with all but 4 of us being under the age of 35. These kids make me feel young (for awhile).

Everyday but Tuesdays 4 teams go out to different areas of the City to share the Gospel with any that wish to discuss it. It is not at all a high pressure, in your face confrontation. Each team takes out coffee, bottled water, etc. and pass it out to any who pass by. If they want to discuss spiritual things, we do; there are many a day that want to, much to my surprise. We have people every shift that give us their names, email addresses, phone numbers, etc. for follow-up later.

There is a lot of labor that goes into such a campaign. Most of the workers, like me, have flown in from many places around the world. Almost all are on staff, but they select a few volunteers, such as myself, to help. It’s very interesting that 3 young women (around 21 yrs. old) that work with a mission in Denmark actually fly over here and spend the entire month working in the kitchen. Another 75 year old chef from Wyoming has been coming here for the last 15 years preparing 3 great meals a day for 6 days of the week.

When I arrived yesterday, I noticed one of the Danish girls who doesn’t probably weigh 90 lbs. lagging around 5 gallon bottles of water and preparing all of the iced coffe to be given away. It really bothered me to see her doing this heavy of work. I went over to help her and I ended up having her teach me how to make this coffee. It has to be made the day before and to steep for at least 10 hours. I am now the official coffee maker for the rest of the campaign. I can work in doing this between the shifts of going out into the City. I just finished preparing almost 60 gallons for tomorrow.Β It is a great privilege to serve The Lord in the various areas.

Please pray that God will prepare the hearts of those that we are in contact with, that His Word may go forth, and that the Holy Spirit will do His work. With so much effort and resources expended, pray that the Kingdom of God is advanced for Christ glory.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on July 14, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

40 responses to “My First 24 Hours In New York City

1. Arrowheart Ranch

July 14, 2014 at 5:45 am

Levi, this is incredible! How exciting. God bless you and all the members of this campaign. Will be praying for you all and that God will miraculously open hearts there. Care to share your new found recipe?

July 14, 2014 at 7:52 am

Thank you very much for your prayers. Yes, I could share how to make this coffee.

2. Rivera

July 14, 2014 at 6:07 am

A truly Blessed undertaking. God be with you all.

3. tellthetruth1

July 14, 2014 at 6:20 am

What a stunning report. Just asked the Lord to look after you all and to bring in His reward: (More sheep into His pasture).

July 14, 2014 at 7:58 am

This is very kind of you. Thanks so much and The Lord bless you today!!!

4. Skye

July 14, 2014 at 6:51 am

How wonderful. I am so glad you reported this!! I love praying for all of you up there. I was wishing, as I read, that I could be a part of it all…then, I realized praying does make me part of it!! πŸ™‚ Thank you, Dear Levi, for your willingness to bless there!

July 14, 2014 at 7:59 am

Thanks so much for your prayer Skye. By praying you are a great part of this as well. Have a wonderful day!!πŸ˜€

5. Karen Pickering

July 14, 2014 at 7:15 am

Very exciting! I’ll pray that God gives you ease of speech and the rights words for each one.

July 14, 2014 at 8:02 am

You are very gracious in praying for all involved in this campaign. It is a real blessing for me to be a small part of it and you are to by praying for us. Have a great day, Karen.

6. atimetoshare

July 14, 2014 at 7:22 am

What a challenge to be in the big Apple. I know the Word will reap results for God’s kingdom. Press on!

7. JennG

July 14, 2014 at 8:55 am

Thabks for sharing what has and will be going on. What a wonderful mission to be on. Praying for open hearts, ears to hear and eyes to see….blessings on your days there!

July 14, 2014 at 10:26 am

You are too kind Jenn. Blessings to you on your BC trip!!!

• JennG

July 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Thank you…so far it has been wonderful

8. Stacy Tolbert

July 14, 2014 at 8:56 am

Praying for you, your co-laborers in this mighty work of our Lord, and for the hearts of all of N.Y.C to be prepared to receive the Good News that you faithful and obedient servants are delivering. Sounds like an exciting mission. Keep us posted brother Levi.

July 14, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thanks for your prayers, Stacy. I shall keep you posted as time allows even if it is a short one. Lord bless you!!!

9. linda parvin hutchinson

July 14, 2014 at 9:00 am

Godspeed

10. wingedprisms

July 14, 2014 at 9:26 am

How exciting is this!

July 14, 2014 at 10:14 am

Hi Cate. It is exciting for me to be a small part of this campaign. I’m thankful The Lord had allowed me the opportunity. Have a great day!!

July 14, 2014 at 10:27 am

Levi, you sound like you’re just having to much fun. πŸ™‚ Got’cha covered in prayer.

July 14, 2014 at 10:55 am

It’s a lot of work but fun work. You know what I mean Sue. Thanks for your prayers!!! Have a great day!!!

12. Megan

July 14, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Yay! Thanks for report. Praying God blesses all your efforts in furthering His kingdom and glory!

July 14, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Thanks so much. You are part of it while praying. πŸ‘

13. johnmarkmiller

July 14, 2014 at 1:06 pm

What an opportunity! I’ll be praying for you guys and for each conversation – you’re doing a great work over there – enjoy it!

July 14, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts John. Much appreciated!!!

14. a gentle iconoclast

July 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm

May the Lord bless all of you who are laboring there for Him! The harvest indeed is plentiful, so we must pray…

July 14, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Yes, so plentiful are the lost. Thanks so much for your prayers!!!!

July 14, 2014 at 2:37 pm

You make my heart sing!! Levi, thank you sharing this with such reverence, affection – and fun!!! πŸ™‚

July 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Aww, thank you Paul. Thanks for the kind words and for reading it. πŸ˜€

16. Kim Fernando

July 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Will keep your time here in prayer, Levi. I’m glad you arrived safely and are settled in and hitting the ground running.

17. "light and salt"

July 14, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Been out on missionary work such as this a few times myself. Just don’t try to do too much…physically! God bless the effort…

Take care,
    Steve

18. Cynthia Reyes

July 14, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I’m so glad to hear about your first day, Levi, and not at all surprised you stepped up to help the young woman with the coffee-making. Will keep you and your colleagues in my prayers as you do the good work.

July 14, 2014 at 11:01 pm

You are most kind Cynthia. This is so much appreciated. πŸ˜€

19. donna213

July 14, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I am not a coffee drinker, but do appreciate those that make it well. My husband is very picky on his coffee, and when it is good, I hear no complaints. Nice photo Levi.

July 14, 2014 at 10:59 pm

This must be pretty good coffee we are serving 80’gallons a day with no complaints. Thank for your comment. I wish you a wonderful Tuesday!!!

20. Holistic Wayfarer

July 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I grew up in NYC, L. Blessings on your heartfelt mission, my friend.
    Shoot me an email if you’re interested in guest authoring. Whenever you’re settled. =)

holisticwayfarer@gmail.com

21. InfiniteZip

July 16, 2014 at 4:23 am

You are doing such a beautiful thing my friend. I am glad to see you having a great time and upbeat. Be well and stay cool my friend:) Peace and blessings:)