24 Jul

I want for you all to see the stir that the Jews For Jesus campaign in Israel had last month. The campaign that I currently am involved in in NYC was preceded by this one in Israel. The ultra-orthodox can be very vehement against any Jew who believes that Jesus was/is Israel’s Messiah. As I walk the streets of Manhattan with my Jews For Jesus tee shirt I am a walking billboard announcing who I am and in Whom I believe. When around the orthodox here I will get a few negative words and sneers but nothing serious. In Israel the matter is completely different. The article below will give you an idea of what a Jewish believer faces in the birthplace of Christianity.

Yeshua Campaign Causes Buzz in Southern Israel
Friday, June 29, 2014 |  David Lazarus

When an Israeli army general noticed the Yeshua (Jesus) placards along the highway on his way to base in Beersheva, he called his battalion to a special meeting and explained to his soldiers who these “Messianic (believe that Jesus was/is Israel’s Messiah and are Christians) Jews are and what they believe about Yeshua.”

While the gospel campaign by Jews for Jesus created a lot of buzz among local residents, not everyone was as sympathetic toward the Messianics as the general.

“May his name be cut off forever,” screamed Ofer Karadi, a member of the ultra-orthodox Shas party, when a Messianic Jew dared to mention the name of Yeshua (Jesus) on the Radio Darom morning program.

With all the commotion stirred up in the Negev by the campaign, the popular radio station was interviewing the local Shas representative together with the deputy mayor of Beersheva and a local Messianic Jew.

“Are you so degenerate as to allow this impious infidel to even speak on the radio,” shouted Karadi in reference to his Messianic co-guest. “It is unacceptable to allow these degenerates to speak about these things in our city.”

“These are all lies. Let them (Messianics) go to the Bedouins and tell them about Yesu. You should never give these infidels a microphone. You should hit him over the head with the microphone!” shouted the orthodox Shas representative.

Pleading to give others an opportunity to respond, the host asked Karadi to “please show some respect to others.”

“I respect everyone,” responded Karadi. “How degenerate can you people get. These people are criminals of humanity. They have nothing. No intelligence. Where do they get this stupidity. They should be sent out of the country.”

“What do you say about this campaign to tell people about Yeshua?” the host was finally able to ask his Messianic guest.

“Some within the Messianic community are opposed to this kind of public campaign. Although every believer is commanded to tell others about our faith. Everyone should at least have the opportunity to check for himself what the Hebrew Bible teaches about the Messiah,” said the local Jewish believer.

“How can you give a platform for these empty-headed people,” cut in Karadi. “They are extremists. They are causing a civil war here in Israel!” (what this really means is that if Messianic Jews keep preaching the gospel in Israel, the orthodox will rise up with violent resistance).

“Is Judaism so weak that you need to make these kind of threats to Jews who believe in Yeshua?” retored the host.

When Karadi continued shouting his anti- Messianic slogans, the announcer finally had enough and said “good-by” before turning off his microphone.

“What do you say to all this?” he asked the Messianic Jew, who responded:

“Yeshua is like Joseph in the Torah portion we read this week. He is still hidden to his own people. But the day is coming when he will be revealed. Everyone should be allowed to read for himself what the Scriptures teach about the Messiah and come to his or her own conclusion. We are Jews who believe that Yeshua is the promised Messiah for Israel. We are here to give everyone at least an opportunity to decide for themselves if Yeshua is our Messiah.”

“What do you say about all this, Mr. Deputy Mayor?” asked the host.

“I represent all of the citizens of Beersheva,” he said with some trepidation. “I want to be friends with everyone on all sides.” Not an easy task given the religious fervor stirred up when Jews believe in Jesus.

Posted by on July 24, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

23 responses to “An Article In Israel Today Magazine About The Jews For Jesus Campaign In Israel !!!!!!

1. geoffhorswood

July 24, 2014 at 5:27 am

Seemingly the ultra-orthodox rabbi represents quite a majority in Israel (though my direct experience is limited). They even change His name: not Yeshua (“YHWH is Redeemer”) but Yesu (apparently meaning something like “may his name be cut off”). Even getting them to call Him by His right name can open a door for them to consider who He is.
    At one point Jesus had more followers among the Palestinians and Arabs in Israel than among His own people there, though with the violent persecution of Christian Arabs by Hamas and their cohorts I don’t know whether that’s an up to date statistic.
    Praying for the peace of Jerusalem and for the consolation of Israel.
    Blessings on your day, Levi.

July 24, 2014 at 8:43 am

Thanks Geoff. The Jews all over the planet, except for a remnant are against Jesus still. We know the reason from Romans 11. The Arabs and Palestinians are basically Muslim in Israel. There are naturally some believers. I have a friend who pastors a Palestinian church in Bethlehem for the past 35 years. He is always under a death threat. He actually has his fellowship with the messianic Jews and is a very targeted man. His church has been bombed several times. This is to be expected in this type ministry. I have spoken at Baptist church in Jerusalem and you are targeted. In N Y we are targeted but not with physical violence except occasionally. JFJ has lost people in the US by persecution from the Jews.

July 24, 2014 at 5:39 am

” … he called his battalion to a special meeting and explained to his soldiers who these “Messianic Jews are and what they believe about Yeshua.””

The Living Word is the living word!! The Old Testament brought to life 2000+ years on!! Wow!!

July 24, 2014 at 8:35 am

Hey Paul, you’re right but Romans 11 tells us why they can’t see clearly. God has set the Jews aside in part to save the Gentiles in mass. When the church age is over He will again visit the Jewish people with salvation in mass. Have a great day my brother!!!

• paulfg

July 24, 2014 at 9:31 am

That sounds like a wonderful post when you have the time – now that is a ponder-full curious kind of answer. No debate asked or invited – just a gentle thinking happening here. 🙂
        Thank you.

July 24, 2014 at 10:00 am

I understand what you mean Paul and understand. When the time allows I will do it. It is all a part of Gods plan that had been foretold. Have a great rest of your day!!😀

3. donna213

July 24, 2014 at 6:09 am

I know first hand the non belief in Jesus as Messiah among Jews. I was briefly married to a Jew, and as a Christian found it an impossible situation.

July 24, 2014 at 6:58 am

It would be very difficult Donna. Have a great day friend!!😀

4. demilhadey

July 24, 2014 at 6:37 am

We should keep Jewish Christians in our prayers. That God gives them the strength to persevere, and for the Jews, that God removes the veil from that is hanging over heir minds. God bless you. 🙂
    Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

July 24, 2014 at 6:57 am

Please do keep both in your prayers. Rom. 11 teaches that God has blinded much of the Jewish nation so that the Gentiles could be saved. He will then revisit the Jewish people in the very last days and save them. Thanks so much!!!

July 24, 2014 at 7:19 am

Good morning Levi: I guess I’ve been in the dark. I had no idea there was this kind of dissention between the Jewish people. How sad. With all that’s going on in this world right now this adds yet another burden on my heart. May the rest of your week be glorious.

6. Levi Thetford

July 24, 2014 at 8:32 am

Good morning Sue. All is well here. Yes, since Jesus was on earth the Jews have been against Him and His followers. There is no difference today. We know the reason from Rom. 11. Thank God for we Gentiles, He has set the Jews aside in part until the church age is over. He will then again save in mass the Jewish people, we are planting the seed now. Thanks Sue and have a great day!!!

7. jameslantern

July 24, 2014 at 8:56 am

sometimes i shudder ,paul trying to bring their gentile believers to their end of told them off,as in if God cut off the naturaL branch ,how much us who are not of the natural branch?yet the israeli,will be called out at the right time 🙂

July 24, 2014 at 2:38 pm

You are so right brother. The message still must he given to Israel even if they are the natural branch. 😀

8. msauthorette

July 24, 2014 at 9:30 am

I remember Jews for Jesus! My old church (that I grew up in) used to support them; we’d have the founder of Jews for Jesus come once a year as a guest speaker. This is awesome, and so encouraging. God is good!

July 24, 2014 at 10:02 am

Good KRistina. Must have been Moshie Rosen. I go back with him to the 1970s. I’m old. Lol

9. Anna

July 24, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Thank you for sharing this information. I knew believers in Jesus would face different circumstances overseas, but your post explains the extent of persecution Jews for Jesus face. There is a new prayer on my prayer list for sure.

10. Stacy Tolbert

July 24, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Great post Levi! We often take for granted the freedom that we here in the U.S. have to lift up the name of Yeshua (Jesus), but they are beginning to fight harder to shut us up even here. We should all be in constant prayer for our persecuted brothers and sisters around the world. Great eye opener brother, thank you, and may our God continue to richly bless and protect you and all of your fellow faithfull, obedient and sacrificial servants of our Lord….

11. Susan Irene Fox

July 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

Levi, before I came to the Lord, I began to read literature from Jews for Jesus. They helped me turn a corner; helped my head connect to my heart. The work you do is so blessed; reading the Old Testament through the lens of Jesus has been a joy.

July 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I’m so glad JFJ helped you as it had who knows how many in the last 40 years. I met Moishe when he was it in Denver for dinner. Only in Heaven will the impact of the ministry will be known. Lord bless you girl!!!

12. Visit Jerusalem now

March 26, 2015 at 12:38 am

Hello every one, here every person is sharing
    such know-how, so it’s good to read this blog, and I used to pay a quick visit this website daily.