He Saved the Best For Last !!!!!!

30 Jul

As I write this post I have departed New York enroute to Dallas and on to Tulsa. I have been reflecting on the previous 17 days and all that God has accomplished. Every single day had an extra special blessing that highlighted the day. It’s just like The Lord God to save the best for last when I thought each day couldn’t be topped.

Yesterday, I wanted to go to Williamsburg, which I think is the largest population of Hasidic Jews outside of Israel. I asked Anna Marie in the Jews For Jesus office which was the easiest route to take. She told me to hold on a minute and she picked up the phone and called somebody. She asked the person on the other end for the best train stop in Williamsburg and also if he would go there and meet me. I could tell from listening to her end of the conversation that he was asking questions about me. The conversation ended with “I’ll see you soon”.

Anna Marie turned to me and said “Herman will be here in about 45 minutes”. I asked her “who is Herman”? Then in her heavy New Yawk talk she begins a long story that I shall shorten for times sake.

image

In 2006, Jews For Jesus wanted to make some inroads into the Hasidic community and the only way to do this was undercover. All of the workers dressed as Hasidics as well as lived there in a hotel for one month. Β Hasidics are a very closed community and outsiders are not really welcomed. Even in Williamsburg, NY the signs and school buses are all in Hebrew.

The missionaries would stand on the streets individually and quietly ask people passing by if they would take some literature. They soon became discovered and were followed so they began changing rental cars and hotels every 2-3 days and didn’t leave their rooms except to pass out literature. At this time the workers also compiled addresses for the mailing of a cd.

When the month was over they had not received any positive feedback from anyone and they began sending out the cd’s. Anna Marie was sitting at her desk a few days after the first mailing and the man at the other end said “what are you people doing, have you gone crazy?!! She said “excuse me, what are you talking about”? He said “you are mailing out these cd’s to everyone in my community about Jesus and we hate that name and want nothing to do with it. Stop your madness”!!

Anna Marie replied “why do you hate Jesus, He is your Messiah and He is a Jew. He is the One all of your prophets talked about, and He fulfilled all of their prophecies written in your Hebrew Bible”. He told her he had never heard of these things. She invited him to her home in Brooklyn and he said he would meet with her. She asked him his name and he replied “my name is Herman ****””.

Herman arrived at Anna Marie’s home just as he promised. She, along with her mother with whom she lives, greeted him and invited him in. Her mother sat in the corner praying as Anna Marie opened up her Bible to Isaiah 53. As they read in her English Bible Herman said he had never read of such things. She told him it was from his own Bible and to look at his Hebrew text. He opened his Bible to the same chapter and read. She said Herman looked up at her and said “I have nothing to say against this. It is as plain as daylight that Jesus is Israel’s Messiah. She explained to him what one must do to accept Him as their Messiah and Savior, and he did so. God opened Herman’s spiritual eyes and heart.

That was 8 years ago. Yesterday, he and I talked for almost an hour about our families and of The Lord Jesus. It was totally an amazing experience. What an amazing, saving, and gracious God we serve. What He won’t do to call in His lost sheep. It still blows my mind after all of these years.

Next time, I will tell of my trip back to Williamsburg with Herman.

Until then, Lord willing,

Posted by on July 30, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

29 responses to “He Saved the Best For Last !!!!!!

July 30, 2014 at 4:49 am

Dearest Levi – you have suspended any and all conflicting and turbulent “opinions and beliefs” I have ever had on “the Middle East.” And I mean all of them. Never happened before!

July 30, 2014 at 6:05 am

Wow!! I’m interested to know some of them. I hope it’s not anti-Israel?

• paulfg

July 30, 2014 at 6:56 am

Now that would be an interesting conversation. πŸ™‚

And yes there is some anti-Israel in there.

Because I haven’t, and do not, see either side as having right on their side, a lot of humanity or love, or being blameless. I do see a lot of rhetoric, a lot of “religion(s)”, a lot of man’s inhumanity to man, with a lot of “believe us – we are the oppressed”

(and more than anything a ton of sadness at all the violence and anger and killing)

What you have caused me to do is to suspend – for the time being – coming down with a “percentage score” of right for one side or the other(s). And that hasn’t happened before.

July 30, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Paul, the whole Middle East situation is a big mess and we can expect it to be this way until Jesus returns. It is hard to watch, I agree. And think that this is all happening because of a decision by Abraham and Sarah. The Book has already been written and we are all part of it and will see it happening as each page is turned. Our confidence is not in ourselves or others but solely on The Lord. We can have no fear but must have compassion and love for all. Even the unloveable, which is what Jesus taught us. Cheers my brother!!!

• paulfg

July 30, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Amen and amen again coffee meister!
          No fear. Compassion and love.
          Confidence in the Lord.
          You rock!! πŸ™‚

2. David C. Hughes, Writer

July 30, 2014 at 6:52 am

Hi Levi! Safe travels. Don’t you love how God surprises us? Just when we think we know what’s coming, He zings us with another aha moment! Like Mary and I like to say, thanks to our friend Michelle, “That Jesus!” Embrace the beauty of His wonder and surprise. That’s what life’s all about.

July 30, 2014 at 1:27 pm

“That Jesus” just keeps doing it and surprising me for 50 yrs now. I’m still not taking it for granted. Hope all is well David!!!

3. Kim Fernando

July 30, 2014 at 10:10 am

amazing!

July 30, 2014 at 1:18 pm

It was amazing Kim. I was going to tell you something last night that I thought of and have forgotten what it is now. If I remember I will tell you. Lord bless you!!

July 30, 2014 at 10:10 am

Good morning Levi: You sure hang out with some gutsy people! lol Yes, the Lord is very good at dropping these little surprise bombs on us. He does it to me quite often. It’s what I call the WOW times. He gathers the angels around and says, “Watch this.” You really should write a book about your experiences. I’d sure buy it. Have a great trip home.

July 30, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Hey Sue. These people are pretty gutsy I guess. That’s one reason I’ve always liked this group because I fit in with them. Lol. The Lord is so good with so many surprises it’s a joy to wake up “almost” every morning. I may write a book when I get old, lol. I want to write some more chapters. Btw, I got home yesterday late afternoon and leave again Sunday morning. Have a great day!!πŸ˜€

5. Daddysgirl

July 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

Wow….fabulous!

July 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm

It was really cool. I was quite surprised by it all and never saw it coming. Have a great rest of the day!!πŸ˜€

July 30, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for the review SJ. I haven’t listened to him in years. I finally got sick of Oreilly and Hannity, and really all of these political talk shows. My life has been calmer since I did. Hope you’re doing well!!!

6. atimetoshare

July 30, 2014 at 1:35 pm

What a shot of encouragement for this ministry. God definitely saves the best for last. Safe travels, my friend.

7. Sheila

July 30, 2014 at 1:59 pm

What a great way to end your trip! And a beautiful truth, as well, that the last will be best–when Christ returns and we spend all eternity with him!

July 30, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Sheila, it will be more glorious than I can wrap my pea brain around. Lol. Hope you guys are resting up!!

• Sheila

July 30, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Me too! We’re sort of resting up. We leave to go north on Friday or Sat.–so that’s keeping us pretty busy!

8. vw1212

July 30, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Pretty wonderful ministry. May the God of peace continue to use you. vw

July 31, 2014 at 10:08 am

Thanks so much Jenn. Have a great day Girl!!!πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

9. Nate

July 31, 2014 at 4:40 am

Fantastic. Great things are happening.

10. Deborah

July 31, 2014 at 8:58 am

So beautiful. Jesus is so amazing and I’m so happy their are people who are reaching out to the Jews. My church is in Williamsburg and only a few jews will look at me, one even smiled at me once haha πŸ™‚
    It’s amazing to hear how Jews for Jesus started. I did not know they began undercover, wow how wise of them. I’m glad you are enjoying your trip. God bless you.

July 31, 2014 at 10:02 am

Thanks so much Deborah. Actually Jews For Jesus started 41years ago passing out tracks with the message toward Jews in San Francisco. This is the 40 year in NY. They go undercover only in the Hasidic areas like Williamsburg. I knew the founder before it started in the early 70s. I’m an old codger. Lol. Have a great day!!!

• Deborah

July 31, 2014 at 10:28 am

I have a question. Are their Jews that are not so traditional? I noticed in Williamsburg they are much more strict, but there are a few in surrounding areas that will speak to you if you need directions or if you’re online waiting for something. But then their are some that won’t even look at you.
        Are the people who began Jews for Jesus former Jews?
        It’s so fascinating. I first heard of them when they had billboards in the train station on 8th Avenue.

July 31, 2014 at 11:36 am

Deborah, most Jews are non religious. Actually the vast majority. The ones in Williamsburg are like the Pharisees in the Bible. All of the people that work for JFJ are Jewish. I’m the only one that isn’t. The ministry is directed to Jews but we witness to all and have more Gentiles come to The Lord than Jews. It is a world wide ministry in all the large cities where there are Jews and Israel. You can read about them on their website if you would like. We are truly doing the work as the disciples did. It’s a wonderful ministry.

• Deborah

July 31, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Wow, I had no idea. I thought most were religious because the ones I’m usually around are the Jews from Williamsburg. I met one guy in China town, he had on the traditional clothing I see the Jewish men wear, but when I asked for directions he was so nice and actually spoke to me lol. And the other time two Jewish women smiled back at me, I would love to talk to them about Jesus but I was told you can’t do that.
            Thanks for the info. I will be sure to check out their website πŸ™‚

July 31, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Good. The Jews that aren’t so orthodox really believe only in tradition and blood lines. We talked with hundreds in depth about Jesus. There is much to tell you if interested but it’s too much on the blog.