An Appeal; Deliverance !!!!!!

31 Jul
An Appeal; Deliverance !!!!!!

And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. (Psalm 50:15)

This is a promise indeed!

Here is an urgent occasion—”the day of trouble.” It is dark at noon on such a day, and every hour seems blacker than the one which came before it. Then is this promise in season: it is written for the cloudy day.

Here is condescending advice, “Call upon me.” We ought not to need the exhortation: it should be our constant habit all the day and every day. What a mercy to have liberty to call upon God! What wisdom to make good use of it! How foolish to go running about to men! The Lord invites us to lay our case before Him, and surely we will not hesitate to do so.

Here is reassuring encouragement: “I will deliver thee.” Whatever the trouble may be, the Lord makes no exceptions but promises full, sure, happy deliverance. He will Himself work out our deliverance by His own hand. We believe it, and the Lord honors faith.

Here is an ultimate result: “Thou shalt glorify me.” Ah, that we will do most abundantly. When He has delivered us we will loudly praise Him; and as He is sure to do it, let us begin to glorify Him at once.

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 responses to “An Appeal; Deliverance !!!!!!

1. Elizabeth Melton Parsons

July 31, 2014 at 1:54 pm

And a comforting promise in my opinion.

July 31, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Good, I’m glad you saw this promise. Have a great rest of the day Elizabeth!!!

2. a gentle iconoclast

August 1, 2014 at 4:23 pm

From what I’ve read about Spurgeon, Levi, he suffered A LOT – he knew what he was saying and we should listen – go to the Lord when it’s dark!
    Maria

August 1, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Maria, he did suffer a whole lot during his life. When he speaks I listen. I’ve been a student of his for almost 40 years.

• a gentle iconoclast

August 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm

What a blessing for you, Levi! A good tree (you) getting good nourishment from this faithful brother’s words!

August 1, 2014 at 8:13 pm

It sure has been. Now you must do the same.

• a gentle iconoclast

August 1, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Okay!
            Recently I found this article at The Spurgeon Archives:
            Charles H. Spurgeon and the Nation of Israel: A Non-Dispensational Perspective on a Literal National Restoration
            Sound good? Have you read it?

August 1, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Yes, I have read it some time back. Spurgeon lived before Darby, the father of dispensationalist theology, came out with his teaching. Spurgeon is what you would call a historic premillennialist.