Something I Knew But Didn’t Really Know!!!!!!

01 Aug

In my recent work in New York City working in the Jews For Jesus NYC Campaign 2014 I really learned something that I knew intellectually, but not practically. If you have read my post over the past 3 weeks you know that I became the “coffee meister”, and as the NYC branch director called me in a thank you card “the coffee master extraordinaire”.

The campaign had decided to pass out iced coffee that New Yorkers love so much in the summer. By initially only helping, I became the sole maker of 900 gallons of the cold brewed drink. It was such a time consuming task that I didn’t take part in the daily contact with people on the streets for 4 days of my 18 because I absolutely didn’t have the time. I was more or less confined to the brew kitchen by myself because I was spending 17 hours a day in pure labor.

Initially, I felt a little down because I wasn’t on the front lines. My real passion is having dialog with people, not being stuck in a kitchen. All of my life I have been in the forefront in everything that I have done, whether it be in business or in ministry. I have usually been the one calling the shots, and now I was the lowly guy stuck in the kitchen making coffee.

It was then that The Lord taught me the greatest lesson of my trip; one that I had known intellectually, but not practically. Every person in the campaign was part of a team, and there really wasn’t a job more important than the other. If I wasn’t making the coffee then the rest of the team wouldn’t have it to give on the streets. If I made the coffee and there was no one to pass it out and talk to the interested ones, what good would that be? None on both accounts. We all needed one another.

Any, and all of the fruit will be accounted by The Lord to all of us. There are no lowly jobs in the service of The Lord God. It takes all of us with the strength and wisdom and gifts that He has given each of us to accomplish His work. After I learned this valuable lesson that first day I didn’t  go out I began to look at others in the same light.

The campaign was not just dependent upon the Jews For Jesus team either, but we were as much dependent upon others that didn’t even know they were helping us. The delivery men that were supplying me with the 180 bottles of water brought up 6 floors on an elevator were essential. The ice men that delivered the hundreds of pounds of ice were absolutely essential. Even the cabbies that hauled the coffe were an unbeknownst part of the team. They thought they were only earning some money for their company so that they could receive a paycheck; but their job was much grander in these deliveries; they were a part of campaign vying for the souls of men and women.

Never again will I think there is a job more important in the work of The Lord. Never again will I  place a preeminence to one over the other. It wasn’t that I ever really ever thought that behind the scene people were lowly, but I had never been in that posistion before. I’m so glad that helping a little girl from Denmark make some coffe turned into a valuable lesson for me.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 1, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

39 responses to “Something I Knew But Didn’t Really Know!!!!!!

August 1, 2014 at 4:37 am

Levis, I have said it before – but it fits so well. I love you, man!! This is another beautiful post. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

August 1, 2014 at 9:56 am

Paul, just shooting from the heart. Lesson learned. Btw, I love you too. Oh how oozy we are. Lol. Have a great day and weekend!!😀

2. sage_brush

August 1, 2014 at 6:02 am

Awesome perspective, which the Lord taught us but so few take to heart. Humility and a servant’s heart. That is joy on earth.

August 1, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks Jim. He is good to teach us and so patient. May we be too. Have a great day!!

3. Naomi

August 1, 2014 at 6:30 am

Levi, encouraging post. Your experience reminded me of a quote from Martin Luther King Jr:

“It really boils down to this: that all life is interrelated. We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tired into a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one destiny, affects all indirectly.”

August 1, 2014 at 9:52 am

Naomi, I’m glad you were encouraged by the post. We really are interrelated and need each other way more than we want to think. Have a great day!!

4. Rob Barkman

August 1, 2014 at 7:37 am

Every person in the campaign was part of a team, and there really wasn’t a job more important than the other. One of the most important lessons for all of us to learn. Thanks Levi for sharing your experience. Glad to have you back and hear the Lord has blessed your trip.

August 1, 2014 at 7:44 am

Thanks Rob. I had a great trip and head back Sunday morning for a week. I’m ready to go again. Lol.

5. Paige Givens

August 1, 2014 at 8:02 am

Wonderful, humbling reminder Levi.

August 1, 2014 at 9:50 am

The lessons He teaches us!! I love to wake up every morning to see what’s new for the day. Have a great day, Paige. 😀

6. Michael

August 1, 2014 at 8:35 am

“Any and all of the fruit will be accounted by the Lord to all of us”–that’s poignant, Levi. Thank you for it. I’m really blessed by this post.

August 1, 2014 at 9:48 am

I’m glad it spoke to you, Michael. And it’s true. I’m glad to have experienced it and will seek to do so in the future. Have a great day my friend and brother!!

7. Karen Pickering

August 1, 2014 at 8:37 am

Interesting how we each enjoy certain roles more than others. If given a choice I would choose behind the scenes. I like to put my head down and work hard without the pressure of others watching what I’m doing. I especially enjoy working alongside of someone. It can be such an encouragement both ways. I am glad there are people like you that like to do most of the “front line” work. The Holy Spirit fits each one in so the whole body functions better.

August 1, 2014 at 9:47 am

Good morning Karen. We are all fit for our place in His body. As I learned there is nothing wrong in behind the scenes work. I shall do it more often I know. Have a great day!!!😀

8. james1948

August 1, 2014 at 10:18 am

Reblogged this on James1948's Blog and commented:
    A valued testimonial.

9. johnmarkmiller

August 1, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Such a great lesson – we were just talking about this in Sunday School last week!

10. Kim Fernando

August 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Sometimes I can’t wait until we get to heaven and see what God’s economy looks like. Will we travel around, doing the things we’re good at or need to get done, and just helping each other out along the way? It’ll be fascinating, I’m sure.

August 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm

You have a thought that I have thought about many times. I think there is no doubt that we will be occupied with much to do. Many kind of dread the thoughts of Heaven because they think we will only sing hymns and praise our Savior. There will be that but much more except without sin. It will be wonderful, no doubt.

11. Meredith

August 1, 2014 at 4:54 pm

What a lovely lesson. I wish I could participate there – but no, I participate where I’m planted.

August 1, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Hi Meredith! The Lord has opened many doors for me to serve Him. It’s such a privilege. We must participate where He wants us. I’m pretty planted with a wife, 5 children, and 15 grandchildren all nearby; I just travel a lot. Thanks for reading and commenting.

• Meredith

August 1, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I too am blessed with a wonderful family, children and grandchildren.

August 1, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Great. It is wonderful isn’t it? We are blessed people.

• Meredith

August 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm

It’s good to read posts from fellow believers.

August 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I agree. It’s such a blessing to have access to as much as we do today. Who would ever have thought this when we were younger?

12. donna213

August 1, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Your post is a good reminder. We all contribute and we all must accept something we desire less sometimes. There is always something to learn from the more humbling experiences. If we always get to do what we want, the desire to do more or better is lessened.

August 1, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Yes, you’re right. It turned out to be a great experience for me. I only wish it would have happened years ago. Better late than never I suppose.

13. Debbie

August 1, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for sharing that really important lesson with us, Levi! A great encouragement for all of us behind the scenes kind of folks. God bless you!

August 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

If you are a behind the scene person I applaud you immensely. Never feel that you aren’t as important than the up front people, because you are just as important, if not more. I learned a very valuable lesson, Debbie.

14. Nate

August 2, 2014 at 5:43 am

It is always the others that make the front line people do what they do.

August 2, 2014 at 6:19 am

Yes, and I’ve known it in my mind but had never experienced it in a very big way.

• Nate

August 2, 2014 at 9:58 am

Moving from head knowledge to heart knowledge is always tricky. Something are easier than others.

15. Skye

August 2, 2014 at 5:53 am

This was yet another beautiful post, Dear Levi. Being a “behind the scenes person” because I am comfortable there, I love your post especially. God loves the work I do no matter what kind of accolade I am receiving from the public. I love being in His fruit basket!

August 2, 2014 at 6:14 am

And you are in His fruit basket, Skye. In some things you may be behind the scenes but in other things you stand out loud and clear. Example, your blogging. And you don’t do it for accolades as well as myself, but You stand out. We just need to be where He wants us in whatever we are doing. You’re a sweetheart, have a great day and weekend. 😀

• Skye

August 2, 2014 at 6:21 am

Your comments bless my heart and will forever be cherished, Dear Levi. You are unforgettable.

August 2, 2014 at 6:25 am

It’s all true but you don’t see it probably. You area a true light for our Lord, Skye. May He continue to give you the strength and more wisdom to continue!!

16. beverley

August 4, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I normally walk past people in the street who are handing out this and that, unless it has Jesus on it and then i take it and say thank you and walk on. Now i don’t need someone to tell me about Jesus, I already have him in my heart, but I often think of the person behind me who needs Him, but is too nervous to go ask or take and i pray that i give them the courage to do so.

August 4, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I understand your position. You don’t need it and it is directed to those who do. You have nothing to be ashamed of in not accepting it. Well done!!!

• beverley

August 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I didn’t use to accept any of the little leaflets but then, let’s call it the Spirit, spoke to my heart and said someone is watching – never know who maybe or when they maybe or how much they need Jesus right at that moment.