Cold-Brew Coffee Recipe !!!!!!

04 Aug

As I promised, today I am going to share with you how I made 900 gallons of cold-brew coffee for the Jews For Jesus NYC campaign. I have had many request for this recipe and procedure. I also wanted to tell you that I am again in NYC for the week helping to follow up the almost 600 requests for one-on-one meetings. I will also be receiving some training in setting up a Jewish ministry in Oklahoma.

Step 1: Preparing the coffee to steep.

I used large stainless steel bowls for this step. You will need cheese cloth to wrap up your coffee. I experimented with this step to see what kind of cheese cloth made the best coffee, and how tight to wrap the coffee up. The results weren’t based upon my taste buds but upon the public through social media and personal feedback. The procedure I’m going to share with you had many that said it was better than Starbucks. I figured because it was free anything would be better than Starbucks but there was not one negative feedback on any of the coffee. I just knew that with over 26,000 cups served there would be some, but we never saw or heard of any.

The cheese cloth I would use would be the 2 square yard “fine weave” cheese cloth. You will need to fold it in half and cut it into 2 pieces. You will need 1 pound of coffee for every gallon of coffee. For the 10 gallon containers I put 3 bundles of coffee wrapped in the cheese cloth. You will yield between 7-8 gallons of coffee from one filled up to within an inch of the top. I used three 2 1/2 lbs bags of ground coffee per container.

Lay your cheese cloth centered in your bowl and pour the bag of coffee ground into it. You then pull all edges of the cheese cloth up, not very tight and twist the bulk cheese cloth around. You will then take 2 long ends of the cheese cloth and wrap around your excess and tie them off tightly.

image

After wrapping the cheesecloth lay them into your steeping container and add water within an inch of the top. Tightly fasten the lid next and allow it to steep for a minimum of 10 hours. The longer the better.

image

image

Step 2: Straining the coffee.

After the steeping process it is now time to strain. We found the best material for straining to be freshly washed and sanitized kitchen towels. You will need containers that will fit into your refrigerator to strain into. I used a regular kitchen straining pan and placed a kitchen towel that fit the whole pan.

Remove your lid from your straining container and squeeze each ball of coffee to remove as much excess liquid as you can.

Next, I used a half gallon picher to begin pouring the liquid into the straining pan. The liquid flows quickly until you get close to the bottom when you start to have a lot of settled grounds. If necessary, you may have to rinse grounds from your towel to speed the process up. Pour all remaining liquid into the strainer until all you have remaining are grounds.

Place your lid onto the strained coffee container and refrigerate. If you are going to use it within 3 hours you may strain into a thermal container that you are going to serve from. Just a note to remind you to use only entirely clean and sterilized instruments and containers.

image

image

Step 3: Preparation just before serving.

Just minutes before serving the coffee we add approximately 1 1/2 – 2 gallons of whole milk. Also heat up 16 ounces of a 50/50 mixture of water and sugar. After it is totally a liquid pour it also into the coffee.

image

image

When we served it we added some ice cubes to the cup and filled with coffee. Again, don’t forget to be very sanitary, and clean and sanitize everything directly after using them and putting them away.

That’s the process I used with much success. If your people like ice coffee they will surely like this. I had forgotten to mention before I think, but we also handed out Brews For Jesus labeled bottled water. In fact I was told 60,000 bottles of it during the month long campaign. With coffe and water we handed out about 100,000 drinks. Wow, What a time!!!

Posted by on August 4, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

20 responses to “Cold-Brew Coffee Recipe !!!!!!

August 4, 2014 at 4:42 am

Levi – this whole cold coffee thing really tugged something deeper than a cuppa – hot or not.

What really caught my imagination was this: a “product” so taken for granted – yet always served hot – with all the complexity of doing that – all the equipment, all the cool/warm/hot/too hot equations – and then milk and sugar and all of that with dampness and heat being the enemy – and then the how not burn yourself, how not to let it go too cold, how not to and how to all being a complexity to manage – all of that …

That is how you “do coffee”. And that generates comments on yeuch -> good. The coffee becomes another distraction.

And this cold brew just removes all of that! Every single complexity. Keeps all of that in a place it can be managed, out of sight, in the back room, where it can be focused on without distraction, where it becomes “simple”.

And that then carries into the serving – the NYC out and about bit – with people … that become so simple as well!

All the energy is on people, on God, on Jesus, on Love, on people. No faffing about with the distractions of worry about “the product” being right.

Now that has very real applications in every area of “God Soft Hands Jesus” stuff – everywhere for everyone!

Love this so much!!

August 4, 2014 at 4:59 am

Paul, it all is very simple and without any pretense. The coffee was only a way to show people that we cared for them whether they said said “thank you” or “get outta the way”. We were trying to display God’s love and to share to as many as The Lord would give us, which was hundreds. It truly is a wonderful thing. The presentation of the love of God toward men and women is easy to display and share. And it’s the most important message in life. Let’s keep telling it Paul!!!😀

2. Karen Pickering

August 4, 2014 at 5:43 am

Levi, thank you for taking the time to write out the whole process. I didn’t know coffee could be brewed cold. (I worked 3 years as a barista.) I’m anxious to try it. Just to make sure of quantity. When you make 1 gallon the coffee bundle should have 1 pound of coffee. When you make the 10 gallon container the coffee bundles should have 2 1/2 pounds each? This would be great to set up at a farmers market or city event for an outreach tool. You are an inspiration.

Back in NYC already? Praying your time there is profitable and God continues to work through all of you.

August 4, 2014 at 5:50 am

Good morning Karen. Yes, it is one pound of coffee for every gallon. The cold brew process actually makes the coffee much less acidic and mellow. I actually prefer mine black as I do all coffee. I sending out 5 gallons of black coffee to each station here as well. It is a great outreach tool and I will use it in the future, Lord willing.

Yeah, I’m back here again. I arrived late yesterday afternoon until late Sat. night. I took a fellow to Times Square last night just to see the mass of humanity. This is truly a heart wrenching place for me. Have a great day and thanks!!!

3. Loca Gringa

August 4, 2014 at 8:46 am

Dios mio! What an endeavor! I can barely use my espresso pot for 4oz lol. Well done Levi!

August 4, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Thank you girl. Lol. I guess I can come down and teach you!!!

• Loca Gringa

August 4, 2014 at 6:04 pm

lol, usually my partner makes it in the morning for me. I’m spoinled. Arthritis kills and I have a hard time getting up much less opening the carafe.

4. insideheathershead

August 4, 2014 at 9:13 am

Levi,
    I am simply blown away by your NYC endeavor and must admit a bit of jealousy for all of your amazing experiences. You are a true servant of God and His people. Thank you for stepping out in faith and trusting God to open hearts. Even with something seemingly as simple as a nice cup of coffee–hot or not. Not one step went without purpose. Each batch you nursed served hundreds of people who might otherwise have gone overlooked. Thank you for your willingness to stay in the back, out of the “spotlight”, as it were, to allow God to take center stage. If only we could all approach evangelism with such humility and grace.
    You are a blessing to all, Levi. Thank you.

And I just might “swing by” for a nice cup of cold brew some day, Mr. Meister. 🙂

August 4, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Heather, Heather. The pleasure is all mine and to be honest with you I am quite blown away that God in His grace is using me the way that He is. I’m truly humbled by it. You can stop by anytime for a cuppa. Lol. You’re a great encourager. Thank you!!!

5. linda parvin hutchinson

August 4, 2014 at 9:40 am

That is very impressive. You amaze me.

August 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Don’t let me amaze you Linda. I’m nothing but He is everything. Have a great evening and thank you!!!

6. chirose

August 4, 2014 at 11:26 am

You had me at brew.!! Fantastic.! Thanks for posting 🙂

7. Mary

August 4, 2014 at 12:26 pm

What a labor of love!

August 4, 2014 at 4:53 pm

It really is and The Lord is using it for His glory. Thanks for stopping by.

8. beverley

August 4, 2014 at 2:08 pm

That looks like a lot of hard work i am glad it was worth it. As you know i am not really a coffee drinker but freshly ground brewed coffee smells divine but not sure about drinking it cold though – maybe it’s a English thing? 😀

August 4, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Cold coffee is not my thing either. In the South we drink hot coffee. NY is different. We give them what they want to break the ice so to speak. Your comments are valuable. Thanks!!😀

9. beverley

August 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I try!!

10. Anna Waldherr

July 24, 2016 at 6:44 pm

What a great post! And what a testament to your efforts to reach non-believers. If there’s coffee served in heaven, I’ll bet it’s brewed this way. 🙂

July 24, 2016 at 6:53 pm

We do a lot of things to bless the people of NY and to share the Gospel with those the want to talk. It would surprise you how many will talk on the busy streets and continue afterwards. 👍😊